Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How to share with relatives.

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Oak park, il
United States
Member #125519
March 29, 2012
4 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2013, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I have been thinking about this topic a great deal particularly because of the recent huge Powerball jackpot.  How can you give huge monetary gifts to your family without getting hit hard with the gift tax?  Is it even possible?  I have 5 siblings and would like to take care of my parents.  Would prefer to just give them a lump sum and be done with it.  Does anyone know the best way to give in this way after winning a jackpot?

Thanks

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2013, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

the easiest way to do it is by splitting your winning like an office pool. The drawback is you can not pick and choose how much each person is going to get. You and everybody else in the pool would get the same amount and they still have to pay income taxes.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2013, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

the easiest way to do it is by splitting your winning like an office pool. The drawback is you can not pick and choose how much each person is going to get. You and everybody else in the pool would get the same amount and they still have to pay income taxes.

I believe some states will allow you to assign different shares to each pool member.  I know that not all will allow it but I'm not sure which ones will.

I think Idaho used to allow it because at work we had a pool where each person could choose how much to put in.  If you put $5 in you'd get five shares as opposed to the person who only put $1 in and would only get one share.  That was 15 years ago.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
        Joplin MO
        United States
        Member #138489
        January 28, 2013
        190 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I believe some states will allow you to assign different shares to each pool member.  I know that not all will allow it but I'm not sure which ones will.

I think Idaho used to allow it because at work we had a pool where each person could choose how much to put in.  If you put $5 in you'd get five shares as opposed to the person who only put $1 in and would only get one share.  That was 15 years ago.

Yes, that's true.

Unless they've changed things, Missouri would let the winnings be split by either a fixed amount or a percentage.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2013, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what the difference is,

uncle SAM w/holds 25% of 10 mils. from 1 person, you,

or he w/holds 25% of 2.5 mils. from 4ppl. you and 3 you share it with.

or however many you choose to share it with, gov't still going to get 25% and up to to 39.6%

plus if you live in Jersey you get ripped off for an additional 10.8%

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
            California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what the difference is,

uncle SAM w/holds 25% of 10 mils. from 1 person, you,

or he w/holds 25% of 2.5 mils. from 4ppl. you and 3 you share it with.

or however many you choose to share it with, gov't still going to get 25% and up to to 39.6%

plus if you live in Jersey you get ripped off for an additional 10.8%

If you actually need to pay less than 25%, you should be able to get a refund from the IRS or have your actual income tax credited when you file. For example: if one wins 7M from CA SLP and the winner chooses annuity, the first year payment would be $126,700. The average tax rate from such income would be about 20.5%

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3856 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2013, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

If you actually need to pay less than 25%, you should be able to get a refund from the IRS or have your actual income tax credited when you file. For example: if one wins 7M from CA SLP and the winner chooses annuity, the first year payment would be $126,700. The average tax rate from such income would be about 20.5%

Well, yea, depending on the individual, the final tax bill is going to come out different,

but my point was uncle sam is going to get a a pretty big chunk no matter how you slice the cake.

your earlier post about treating it like an office pool is probably the way to go.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.