Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won either the MM/PB JP: How soon would you claim your prize?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jjtheprince.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2013, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

First business day of the week following your win,  months later or close to expiration?

* People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
       George Bernard Shaw.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2013, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

First business day of the week following your win,  months later or close to expiration?

George Bernard Shaw.

I would wait a couple of months for the suspense to grow and then announce myself on LP.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3854 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2013, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I know I'd be anxious to cash it ASAP but if if the prize were bigger than ...say the starting JP on MM w/a clear of 4 mils.

then I think I might take longer to get my ducks in a row.

I already have a finance and tax guy so first step is to call him and find out what step 2 is.

Won $1200.00 last year and that made me anxious to collect, can't imagine how $4mil. would make me feel,

but it did give me a preview.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4791 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Unless it was a record Jackpot, I think I would claim it in 2-4 weeks.  Under 4 million, maybe in 2-3 weeks.I would not want to wait longer than a month or I am afraid they'd be posting some video of me buying the ticket.  $1200 is a lot!  One HB and one other number in hot lotto makes me a little ancy to get it claimed. lol

But I think if you have a plan, hopefully that "training" will kick in with a big win. I think the winners who want to play the big shots (when they don't have to do a press conference) and act like they have accomplished something (vs luck), are characters in more ways than one.

J'aime La France.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

As soon as I can make a decision between lump sum vs annuity. Everything else could come later.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: May 27, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

as soon as possible. time is money.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: May 27, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

George Bernard Shaw.

It would depend on the size of the JP and how crazy the media frenzy is. If it's a small JP , I don't think there's any need for any major prep work. The media isn't going to be going crazy, so for the most part you'll be able to skate by without too much notice. So the most I'd probably do at that point is to get a PO Box a new phone number. Stuff like that. That'll all take a week or 2 at most. 

But if it's like the big JP and everyone is waiting to see who the $590M winner is, then at LEAST a month. Time to find a financial planner or 2 and a lawyer. Take out a small loan, find a quiet place to lay low for a few months for after the claiming, set up trusts etc.

But you don't want to wait too long and end up like that woman in Cali who still had a couple of months left to claim her winnings and they started plastering a pic of her everywhere. Asking if anyone knew who she was. She had no choice but to come forward at that point, ready or not. I remember thinking, those idiot reporters are going to get her killed and she still had so much time left. It was unnecessary.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

As soon as I can make a decision between lump sum vs annuity. Everything else could come later.

How much time do you need to come up with a decision,  days, weeks or months? It's not rocket science to know what you want. At least that is how l was raised. Know what you want and go for it, he who hesitates is lost.

Toronto
                  Canada
                  Member #138397
                  January 26, 2013
                  179 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2013, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

if i win a lottery while going to the us to fill up on gas or buy stuff, I'd wait anytime from 2 weeks to 2 months, so I get my money immediately, since it takes time for them to get money from the states.

If I won a lottery in canada, I'd wait like 3-5 months, or however long it takes for me to change my name, etc.  But if I won online, I wouldn't have the choice.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2013, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

I would say 2-4 weeks.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4108 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2013, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

if i win a lottery while going to the us to fill up on gas or buy stuff, I'd wait anytime from 2 weeks to 2 months, so I get my money immediately, since it takes time for them to get money from the states.

If I won a lottery in canada, I'd wait like 3-5 months, or however long it takes for me to change my name, etc.  But if I won online, I wouldn't have the choice.

You cross the Border to fill up on gas Yoho- what's the price there?

Toronto
                        Canada
                        Member #138397
                        January 26, 2013
                        179 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2013, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

around 1.46 per litre recently - 5.53 per gallon. But CAD is a bit cheaper than USD right now, so I'd say around 5.35 per gallon.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2013, 12:22 am - IP Logged

around 1.46 per litre recently - 5.53 per gallon. But CAD is a bit cheaper than USD right now, so I'd say around 5.35 per gallon.

What's with the British influence on litres, while visiting Africa years ago we bumped into that gasoline price per litre stuff as well. The price of gas is a little over $4.00 a gal out here in the San Francisco bay area at present plus that price is pretty steep out there in your neck of the woods. ...just saying.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                            California
                            United States
                            Member #112364
                            June 17, 2011
                            661 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2013, 12:34 am - IP Logged

How much time do you need to come up with a decision,  days, weeks or months? It's not rocket science to know what you want. At least that is how l was raised. Know what you want and go for it, he who hesitates is lost.

I tend to choose annuity but I would talk to a financial planner to hear what they have to say. How long? I don't know. I never hire a financial planner before and I don't know where to find a good one. That's what would take most of my time. Finding a good one among many.

Winning a lottery is once in a lifetime opportunity so I want to be careful.

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4108 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2013, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I tend to choose annuity but I would talk to a financial planner to hear what they have to say. How long? I don't know. I never hire a financial planner before and I don't know where to find a good one. That's what would take most of my time. Finding a good one among many.

Winning a lottery is once in a lifetime opportunity so I want to be careful.

" l Don't know where to find a good financial planner" - you in California right, no problem,  l could come to you,l will be your FP no sweat. My fees are not burdensome in the least. You can trust me- l am not a Lawyer.
                              Big Smile