Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you won the Big One- how would you prevent yourself from ending up penniless?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by New York.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2013, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

News stories abound of poor unfortunate souls who won millions only to end up a statistic. What measures would you take to prevent this happening to you & your loved ones ?
Do you see yourself creating friendships with people who come out of the woodwork, how about your old ex  flame from high school, looking out for your best interests- must count for something. .right?

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7311 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2013, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

News stories abound of poor unfortunate souls who won millions only to end up a statistic. What measures would you take to prevent this happening to you & your loved ones ?
    Do you see yourself creating friendships with people who come out of the woodwork, how about your old ex  flame from high school, looking out for your best interests- must count for something. .right?

With zero interest on any of the winnings, the last big jackpot winner could spend about $13,000 every day for the next 60 years to spend all of it. Are there multi-million jackpot winners who are now penniless or did they just blow the majority of their winnings in ways you find unsatisfactory?

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2013, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

"how about your old ex"

your topics are great.

I like the one you started asking people if they would be afraid about their ex coming after them http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260947

I think someone needs to tell their ex to take a hike.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2013, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

"how about your old ex"

your topics are great.

I like the one you started asking people if they would be afraid about their ex coming after them http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260947

I think someone needs to tell their ex to take a hike.

WB- the " ex" is a reminder of a friend of mine who married his HS sweetheart Twice,  she cleaned out his savings and 401k in the process. It was  painful yet he says" She came with a price"..nowadays he laughs at it.
        Now you know. .

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #61435
          May 22, 2008
          908 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2013, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

My written plan includes spending a small defined portion of my winnings on "me things" houses, cars, etc...upfront.  The remaining monies would be invested and I would live very well off of the income and/or interest generated.  I will never frivoulsly spend a large portion of my winnings, never.  And I have no problem saying NO, to anyone.

Toronto
            Canada
            Member #138397
            January 26, 2013
            179 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I'd put a penny in a jar, and forget about it.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
              United States
              Member #4924
              June 3, 2004
              5896 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

When I lived in Modesto, there was a very young man,who won the California lottery. I don't recall the total amount he received, but it was a sizeable amount. He should have been able to enjoy his life, if he didn't act stupid. Which is exactly what he did. He was broke in about 5 years. I read about in the local newspaper. I also played poker with a man, in Livermore, who won the lottery. He took annual payments. I'm guessing his age, at that time, to be around thirty. He told me he would receive around $450,000 a year for 20 years. He told me, he wasn't going to spend any of his annual payments, for the first 5 years. He seemed very sensible and I believed he would do as he said. I think we only hear about the weaker people with no common sense.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

How about by avoiding the things that other winners who have gone broke have done?

An immediate trip to Vegas? Vegas offers very few payouts that can compare with a lottery win. Unless one is a complete attention monger and wants to play hi-roller, which is still reidiculous.

Taking an entourage with you is even more ridiculous.

Nobody needs a fleet of cars or multiple mansions.

Nobody needs to walk around with more bling than most people are worth.

Etc...etc...ad nauseam.

As for people coming out of the woodwork, didn't know them then (before the win), don't know them now (after).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Saying NO!!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4792 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I would eat and eat and eat till I could not move so I could not get out of my bed to spend money.  Then I would get my own TV reality show called the Obese Lottery Winner.

J'aime La France.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Simple, spend less than you earn or have.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                        Connecticut
                        United States
                        Member #61623
                        May 29, 2008
                        20581 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

if you won the Big One- how would you prevent yourself from ending up penniless?

...it's simple really.

Don't take up a newfound crack or heroine addiction.LOL

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

...it's simple really.

Don't take up a newfound crack or heroine addiction.LOL

I thought I already explained how.. Simple, spend less than you earn or have.

Toronto
                            Canada
                            Member #138397
                            January 26, 2013
                            179 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I thought I already explained how.. Simple, spend less than you earn or have.

you could be a billionaire who doesn't have pennies (thus is penniless).

That's why my method is best; save a penny somewhere and forget about it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19828 Posts
                              Posted: May 28, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

What measures would you take to prevent this happening to you & your loved ones ?

None, if my loves ones are so lazy that they are depending on me for not ending up a statistic then they got a problem that's not my problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking