Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

6/49 record jackpot winner bought 2 of the same tickets

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Toronto
Canada
Member #138397
January 26, 2013
179 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if this will be in the news section sometime soon, seeing as it's a canadian lottery, but I thought it's pretty interesting.

I was at a skytrain station, got one of those free newspapers (metro) and on the front page was this news: Of the four winners of the record 6/49 lottery jackpot last month (~64 million, previous record was 52 million or something), two were from Surrey BC, one from Vancouver and one in Alberta or something.

Turns, out, that the two Surrey tickets were bought by the same person! Actually, while I was reading about the jackpot when it happened, someone predicted that the same person bought the ticket twice either on this or another forum, and it actually happened! It's the first time, at least in Canada, that someone won the jackpot twice in the same draw.

He ended up taking home 2x 15.8 million, while the other two winners only got 15.8 million each.

EDIT: remember, no annuity and no taxes in Canada. So 64 million = around 177.8 million if it were like the powerball. Which is nothing compared to the 591 Million powerball jackpot, but when you consider that it costs the same (2 bucks), but the chances are 1:14,000,000 roughly (compared to 1:175,000,000), it's not so bad, right?

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like he came out ahead by getting half the jackpot money instead of a third.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Ohio has a 649 game that has had jackpot $50M+(annuity) as do some of its neighboring states but PB and MM get all the attention.  I think with the multi-states games getting more expensive some of the state games might get a little more attention when their jackpots get to $40M+ with their better odds and price.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2013, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if this will be in the news section sometime soon, seeing as it's a canadian lottery, but I thought it's pretty interesting.

I was at a skytrain station, got one of those free newspapers (metro) and on the front page was this news: Of the four winners of the record 6/49 lottery jackpot last month (~64 million, previous record was 52 million or something), two were from Surrey BC, one from Vancouver and one in Alberta or something.

Turns, out, that the two Surrey tickets were bought by the same person! Actually, while I was reading about the jackpot when it happened, someone predicted that the same person bought the ticket twice either on this or another forum, and it actually happened! It's the first time, at least in Canada, that someone won the jackpot twice in the same draw.

He ended up taking home 2x 15.8 million, while the other two winners only got 15.8 million each.

EDIT: remember, no annuity and no taxes in Canada. So 64 million = around 177.8 million if it were like the powerball. Which is nothing compared to the 591 Million powerball jackpot, but when you consider that it costs the same (2 bucks), but the chances are 1:14,000,000 roughly (compared to 1:175,000,000), it's not so bad, right?

Please use the News Story Suggestion Form if you have a news story tip.  Thanks!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!