Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A scratch off with less big prizes and more mid-range prizes. Does it exist?

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Northern California
United States
Member #141976
April 29, 2013
23 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2013, 2:44 am - IP Logged

I always wanted to find a scratcher which had more $100, $200, and $1000 type prizes rather than like 20 $1,000,000 top prizes.  When I walk in buying scratchers I honestly know it's almost impossible to win a top prize and i'm just hoping for something smaller, like a grand.  You would think somewhere in the country they would make a scratcher where it was chock filled of mid-tier prizes.  Say the top prize was $50 grand.  But it was a $5 ticket and your chances of getting a hundred or a grand was infinetely higher than your typical game....I think these would be popular.  Has a scratcher ever been made like this and would you enjoy this?  Or do you play hoping to get that top prize?

Your thoughts......

Olney, MD
    United States
    Member #121536
    January 11, 2012
    452 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I always wanted to find a scratcher which had more $100, $200, and $1000 type prizes rather than like 20 $1,000,000 top prizes.  When I walk in buying scratchers I honestly know it's almost impossible to win a top prize and i'm just hoping for something smaller, like a grand.  You would think somewhere in the country they would make a scratcher where it was chock filled of mid-tier prizes.  Say the top prize was $50 grand.  But it was a $5 ticket and your chances of getting a hundred or a grand was infinetely higher than your typical game....I think these would be popular.  Has a scratcher ever been made like this and would you enjoy this?  Or do you play hoping to get that top prize?

Your thoughts......

I was saying it would be cool if they had a $20 or even a $10 ticket with a much smaller top prize and way more $500 prizes than usual.  I think the reason they want those bigger prizes to be 1k and up is that they tax it and get more $ back that way.  They don't want to cut out $1 million prizes and feed that into more smaller $100 and $500 prizes because they would lose out on like 400k in taxes (rough guess) per each million $ prize that was taken out to put that money into smaller prizes.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2013, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Your thoughts......

They have them once in a while, maybe a family of them. But they typically eliminate the top prizes and load up on the mid-tier prizes instead. They could still offer a top prize, in theory, but the odds would be horrible. Best to play another game instead for large top prizes. Other states have them too, and I believe our last one in CA was Power $777:

http://www.calottery.com/sitecore/content/Scratchers%20Games/End%20of%20Game%20Info%20Folder/power-777-736

I did hit one of these types of skewed games a few years ago, Hot $500. It was a $2 game with thousands of $500 top prizes at around 1-in-1,600 odds. I got to say I won a Scratchers Top Prize! ...albeit a small one. And also I "beat" the game, by getting the top prize before I spent more than the amount of the top prize to get there.(about half) previously posted here:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/216513/2046383