Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you feel by playing less you might miss out on having more chances to win?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 3 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2013, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I woke up this morning and started to wonder if by my playing the lottery less to save money I'm actually giving myself far less chances of winning. I have to keep reminding myself that even if I played constantly my chances would still be slim to none. I'm going to continue to play less but can't stop this feeling that my chances of winning are worse. I think I'm overanalyzing this, lol. I'm just wondering if other people who also play less think about this too?

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2013, 8:25 am - IP Logged

It does not matter. You could spend $100 every night on Mass Cash game for a year and still not hit. Even $1,000 a night for a year would not guarantee you a hit of the top prize. Its very sobering advice. Baby steps is where its at when it comes to the lottery. Small consistent steps.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2013, 8:38 am - IP Logged

It does not matter. You could spend $100 every night on Mass Cash game for a year and still not hit. Even $1,000 a night for a year would not guarantee you a hit of the top prize. Its very sobering advice. Baby steps is where its at when it comes to the lottery. Small consistent steps.

Hi maringoman,

You are right about Mass Cash. I never play more than one ticket when I play Mass Cash but the most I ever won was 10 dollars playing it. This game really surprises me because there are only 35 numbers and one would think that getting 5 numbers or even 4 numbers wouldn't be that impossible but it still is.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2013, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

I woke up this morning and started to wonder if by my playing the lottery less to save money I'm actually giving myself far less chances of winning. I have to keep reminding myself that even if I played constantly my chances would still be slim to none. I'm going to continue to play less but can't stop this feeling that my chances of winning are worse. I think I'm overanalyzing this, lol. I'm just wondering if other people who also play less think about this too?

It only takes one ticket to win.....just the one.....problem is you never know which one is going to be the......one....Also the only time I win more is when I buy alot of scratch-offs...I could spend the same on PB or MM and not win anything....which is usually the case LOL

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Good ?. Sometimes i get that feeling when i see all those scratch-off tickets in the bin, but something clicks and tells me to grab a few and leave. Then i read about the stores i skipped and someone gets a nice winner. Lotto is hard work.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19815 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2013, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I usually play 10-20 lines which I pick from 500-1500 lines generated by a RNG using parameters I enter.  Every one of my wins of any significant have always been in the first 10 lines I picked to play even though when I have checked the rejects sometimes there were other winners in them to be picked.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Toronto
              Canada
              Member #138397
              January 26, 2013
              179 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2013, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

You definitely lose out on more chances to win.

But you lose out on even more chances to lose.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: June 4, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

You get less chances to win, sure, but the difference it makes is tiny. It took me a while, but now, I really don't see the benefit of playing 1 line or 100 (even though yes, I've seen those winners that win on their fifth line).

Columbia, SC
                  United States
                  Member #135285
                  November 21, 2012
                  584 Posts
                  Posted: June 4, 2013, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

You get less chances to win, sure, but the difference it makes is tiny. It took me a while, but now, I really don't see the benefit of playing 1 line or 100 (even though yes, I've seen those winners that win on their fifth line).

I Agree!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    906 Posts
                    Posted: June 4, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

In the recent run up to the huge Powerball jackpot I spent more than I normally would on Powerball and across all FL jackpot games (everything 5 balls and above).  For me..... buying more did not equate into more winnings than what I was accustomed to in the past at a lower amount spent.  Your mileage may vary.....

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                      Joplin MO
                      United States
                      Member #138489
                      January 28, 2013
                      190 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2013, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I've always had the fear that if I miss a drawing, that would be the drawing that my numbers would come up.  Also, I know that if I play less, then I have less chances to win ... so don't like doing that.

My most recent strategy for picking numbers is to pick high-frequency numbers ... and to update my numbers every 3 or 4 months.  Because of updating (changing) my numbers, I missed a $1400 win a few months ago.  The numbers that came up looked familiar ... sure enough, they were ... GRRRR!!!  I have to keep in mind, that if I keep changing my numbers, sooner or later, an old set (of the many old sets) will surely be a winner.  ...If I could figure out what set is the good one, I'd keep that one ... HeeHee!!!

Toronto
                        Canada
                        Member #138397
                        January 26, 2013
                        179 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2013, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I've always had the fear that if I miss a drawing, that would be the drawing that my numbers would come up.  Also, I know that if I play less, then I have less chances to win ... so don't like doing that.

My most recent strategy for picking numbers is to pick high-frequency numbers ... and to update my numbers every 3 or 4 months.  Because of updating (changing) my numbers, I missed a $1400 win a few months ago.  The numbers that came up looked familiar ... sure enough, they were ... GRRRR!!!  I have to keep in mind, that if I keep changing my numbers, sooner or later, an old set (of the many old sets) will surely be a winner.  ...If I could figure out what set is the good one, I'd keep that one ... HeeHee!!!

a few months back, I was on an Australian Lotto reselling website (Legal reseller), and I added a quickpick to my cart for the Australian powerball.

I ended up not buying it because I thought the numbers were not good because 3 of the 6 numbers were 20 something, 2 were 30 something, and all very close together.

The day after, when the draw was over, I looked at the result and guess what... 3 of the numbers were 20 something, and 2 were 30 something! Since I didn't buy the quickpick, I didn't pay attention to the numbers, but I am 100% positive that I matched at least 3-4 numbers, and I'm pretty sure I either matched the other two numbers or was like 1 or 2 numbers off.

Even now I'd occasionally get the goosebumps thinking I might've let 15,000,000 escape me just like that.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                          Member #567
                          August 14, 2002
                          482 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2013, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

I used to play the lottery a lot of times in the past.  Winning the lottery would be an amazing and spectacular experience.  But in years past, I read the stories about people who won and how their lives were destroyed.  I read about what happened to William Bud Post, Billie Bob Harrell, David Edwards, and Jack Whittaker.  OMG I used to play the lottery so many times in the past.  However, to be honest, I stopped playing the lottery regularly awhile back.  I only played powerball tickets only once in the past two years!

I have been discouraged from playing the lottery for two reasons:

1.  The mathematical odds of powerball and mega millions:  1 in 175,000,000.   I have a better chance of being struck by lightning.  I have a better chance of being killed in a car accident on the way to purchasing a lottery ticket than actually winning the jackpot.  Now that I think about it, I have a better chance of becoming a millionaire by discovering an ingenious business idea, setting up a business of my own, and working hard at it than by winning the lottery. 

2.  In the past, I have read about horror stories of lottery winners.  The lottery winners were taken advantage of by family members, relatives, and acquaintances.  I would hate to be used after winning a large sum of money.  I have been taken advantage by family members and relatives even without the lottery, and I work hard for my money.  Rarely in my life did anyone ever pay me back a thing.  Honestly, I would rather keep working until retirement and live a normal life than win all that money and have everyone just use me.   This is the real reason why I am actually able to walk out of a gas station without even being tempted to purchase a lottery ticket regardless of what amount the jackpot is.  The only way I would play the lottery again is if I happen to be in a state where I can claim the prize anonymously!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                            Mcminnville, Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #3013
                            December 13, 2003
                            3044 Posts
                            Posted: June 4, 2013, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

I notice that I play less after a jackpot is won like the record one in powerball.  I will only play one line and then wait to buy more lines when the jackpot gets bigger.  I like to play a full ticket of five lines with powerplay when the jackpot is above $200 million.-weshar75

US Flag