Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball's 15 million dollar increase - why?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Member #131058
August 1, 2012
875 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2013, 1:01 am - IP Logged

The PB jackpot went from $70 mil to $85 mil. I was expecting only a $10 million increase just like the other time the jackpot was $70 mil.  What explains the 15 million dollar increase?

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2013, 6:50 am - IP Logged

The PB jackpot went from $70 mil to $85 mil. I was expecting only a $10 million increase just like the other time the jackpot was $70 mil.  What explains the 15 million dollar increase?

Maybe people bought more tickets than normal...I just guessing....the cash value is only 52 million so Im also guessing that the previous cash value wasnt too far off from that...

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2013, 7:51 am - IP Logged

Maybe people bought more tickets than normal...I just guessing....the cash value is only 52 million so Im also guessing that the previous cash value wasnt too far off from that...

The cash value actually increased by $9.2 million (it is now $52.1 million, was $42.9 million before).  Last night's jackpot actually WAS fully funded, according to the TLC website, with total sales of those four draws at $135,250,202.  [$135,250,202 * .3197555 = $43.2 million cash].  Assuming the pattern continues, we should expect draw sales of ~$37 million for Saturday's draw, which would result in a cash jackpot of ~$55 million (but, of course, the MUSL has to skim the jackpot fund in order to pay for higher than expected secondary prize winners as well as winners of guaranteed jackpots).

---

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19904 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2013, 9:15 am - IP Logged

PB is becoming fully funded earlier because more players are willing to pay $2 for a ticket when the jackpots are lower.  I think MM announcing their intended matrix change has changed a lot of players minds about PB.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6305 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2013, 9:33 am - IP Logged

I think with the big jackpot in November $587,500,000.00 and May $590,500,000.00 people are getting excited about Powerball.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19967 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2013, 9:41 am - IP Logged

DanceTeamwork

Patriot

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2013, 10:24 am - IP Logged

PB is becoming fully funded earlier because more players are willing to pay $2 for a ticket when the jackpots are lower.  I think MM announcing their intended matrix change has changed a lot of players minds about PB.

I Agree! People are already jumping ship on the MM game with its tiny $12-29 Million jackpots.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: June 13, 2013, 10:25 am - IP Logged

The primary driver is higher yield on the annuity, meaning lower cash value required for same JP, and fully funded can happen earlier.

Total sales are only a few million more than the accumulated total for the last run at the same stage of $70M. Combined with increased sales from CA, this is now the new normal.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: June 13, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

The primary driver is higher yield on the annuity, meaning lower cash value required for same JP, and fully funded can happen earlier.

Total sales are only a few million more than the accumulated total for the last run at the same stage of $70M. Combined with increased sales from CA, this is now the new normal.

Good point. Another reason why higher ticket prices are a good idea, as interest rates rise they will need fewer and fewer sales and still have higher and higher (advertised) jackpots. Yes Nod

London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #140684
                    March 24, 2013
                    566 Posts
                    Posted: June 13, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Powerball raises pretty quick compared to the EuroMillions, Euro normally raises between 10 - 15 M and never goes up like 100m at a time. Wish I could play the Powerball. =[

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2013, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

What explains the 15 million dollar increase?

Five million dollars!

Green laugh

J/K

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                        Nutley, New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #131058
                        August 1, 2012
                        875 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2013, 12:10 am - IP Logged

What explains the 15 million dollar increase?

Five million dollars!

Green laugh

J/K

I just thought the 15 mil increase was strange at 70 million. Ever since PB changed to the 40 mil starting jackpot, the increase has been 10 million every roll over until the jackpot is around 120 million then 10+ million increases start happening.