Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Three short math questions.

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RL-RANDOMLOGIC.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10391 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2013, 12:55 am - IP Logged

From the book Investing The Last Liberal Art by Robert G. Hagstrom.

A bat and a ball cost $1.10 The bat cost a dollar more than the ball.

How much does the ball cost?

Chances are excellent that your answer is wrong. Don't despair- over half the students at Harvard, MIT, and Princeton got it wrong, too. And they didn't do any better on the next two problems.

If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long will it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2013, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Chances are excellent that your answer is wrong. Don't despair- over half the students at Harvard, MIT, and Princeton got it wrong, too. And they didn't do any better on the next two problems.

If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long will it take for the patch to cover half the lake?

Do I get a consolation prize for guessing five minutes for the second question and passing on the other two?

Florida
      United States
      Member #66575
      October 30, 2008
      3549 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2013, 2:24 am - IP Logged

I had to think about it a minute but this is what I came up with

First one maybe  1.05  for the bat  and  .05  ( 5 cents ) for the ball //

Second one, I also see 5 minutes .

Third one - 47 Days 

CG

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2013, 2:41 am - IP Logged

Do I get a consolation prize for guessing five minutes for the second question and passing on the other two?

If you want a prize use your math to figure out something useful like the next winning PB numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10391 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2013, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I had to think about it a minute but this is what I came up with

First one maybe  1.05  for the bat  and  .05  ( 5 cents ) for the ball //

Second one, I also see 5 minutes .

Third one - 47 Days 

CG

Right on all three, CarliG.

Stack47,

Consolation prize,

Go with the orange colored balls in your state's Pick 5.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Krypton
            United States
            Member #140102
            March 11, 2013
            904 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

The bat costs $1.05 and the ball costs .05. That way the bat does cost $1 more than the ball.

3rd grade - Liberty Street School. Middletown , NY

Rocky Mount Sr High NC

NC State BSEE. 

Lol

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
              Dallas, Texas
              United States
              Member #4549
              May 2, 2004
              1834 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2013, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Nice one CT! My 2 cents wouldn't be worth a dime at this point. Big Smile

Congrats CarliG! You publicly beated down a few MITters! Clown

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3316 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2013, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

its a long time since i did algebra,  ill give it a go

a=b+100

110 = (b+100)+b

so

110-100= bx2

10 = 2b

5=b

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

it seems 1 machine would take 5 min to make 1 widget. so 10 machine  would be 5 min, and 100 machines would be 5 min. ther trick is a machine takes 5 min to make 1 widget

adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2013, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

yeah 1 day to double the size, so 48 days minus 1, woykld be  mean 1 day to go till its fullly covered.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      4083 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2013, 8:25 am - IP Logged

CT

5 minutes

the last day the patches double so 48-1=47

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020