Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there any stats that show % of QP Jackpot winners over non-QP for PB/MM?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Boston, MA
United States
Member #134899
November 9, 2012
93 Posts
Posted: June 21, 2013, 2:12 am - IP Logged

I am wondering if there is any research/stats as to how many jackpot were won in PB/MM with Quick Pic as opposed to non QP?

Krypton
    United States
    Member #140102
    March 11, 2013
    904 Posts
    Posted: June 21, 2013, 9:09 am - IP Logged

I am wondering if there is any research/stats as to how many jackpot were won in PB/MM with Quick Pic as opposed to non QP?

I found this

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/97987

Boston, MA
      United States
      Member #134899
      November 9, 2012
      93 Posts
      Posted: June 23, 2013, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I found this

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/97987

Thanks Skyline! Good luck.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10391 Posts
        Posted: June 23, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Boston, MA
          United States
          Member #134899
          November 9, 2012
          93 Posts
          Posted: June 23, 2013, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

I think more than a coincidence it is thata winning ratio is proportional to QP ratio

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10391 Posts
            Posted: June 24, 2013, 11:13 am - IP Logged

It's simply a direct reflection of sales.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Boston, MA
              United States
              Member #134899
              November 9, 2012
              93 Posts
              Posted: June 24, 2013, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

It's simply a direct reflection of sales.

Agreed..I like QPs for PB/MM but there are some times when I hated what's printed..An example was for the $590Mil PB drawing, one of my tix was 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 Are they kidding me..Did any PB drawing ever generate the maximum ball number of 12.

Boston, MA
                United States
                Member #134899
                November 9, 2012
                93 Posts
                Posted: June 24, 2013, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Another unreal number I got for a QP today is 05-06-08-46-47-49. Really? where are all the numbers 08-46? This is a 6/49 styled game called Megabucks Doubler.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10391 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2013, 12:49 am - IP Logged

accesscapital,

Yeah, I know. I remember a Asian female in front of me in line one time that played a quick pick and when she was walking away and looked at the numbers said, "Computer don't want me to win."

But sometimes those sets of numbers that you just know don't have a prayer are the ones that throw you an occassional bone.

Lep

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2013, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Agreed..I like QPs for PB/MM but there are some times when I hated what's printed..An example was for the $590Mil PB drawing, one of my tix was 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 Are they kidding me..Did any PB drawing ever generate the maximum ball number of 12.

accesscapital,

"Are they kidding me..Did any PB drawing ever generate the maximum ball number of 12."

Are you saying that lotteries should filter their Quick Picks?  For example, should they program the QP ticket generators to disallow any set with a max number less than some specified amount?  If they did this, wouldn't they also have to reject drawings meeting the rejection criteria?  Otherwise, I suspect you would be very unhappy if 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 was drawn when you bought your QuickPick at a machine equipped with filters!

Maybe you can see that 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 is just as likely to win as any other set if you envisioned the PB lottery with balls painted with pictures, rather than numbers, say...

Smile Wink Angry  . . . . . . .  Roll Eyes Hat Cool

I doubt if the air currents inside the machines could tell the difference, could they?

--Jimmy4164

Boston, MA
                      United States
                      Member #134899
                      November 9, 2012
                      93 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2013, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

accesscapital,

"Are they kidding me..Did any PB drawing ever generate the maximum ball number of 12."

Are you saying that lotteries should filter their Quick Picks?  For example, should they program the QP ticket generators to disallow any set with a max number less than some specified amount?  If they did this, wouldn't they also have to reject drawings meeting the rejection criteria?  Otherwise, I suspect you would be very unhappy if 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 was drawn when you bought your QuickPick at a machine equipped with filters!

Maybe you can see that 03-06-07-09-12 PB 10 is just as likely to win as any other set if you envisioned the PB lottery with balls painted with pictures, rather than numbers, say...

Smile Wink Angry  . . . . . . .  Roll Eyes Hat Cool

I doubt if the air currents inside the machines could tell the difference, could they?

--Jimmy4164

There were numerous times I bought a second ticket just because the first one had such consecutive numbers. Many a times second one isn't better either, oh well Big Smile. So I am thinking of generating some QP numbers else where (on some websites) to make sure they are something I want. Then I will take them with me to the store, fill out the forms and get tix printed with those numbers.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4969 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2013, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I came across a question that the VA lottery answered recently (facebook I think) where someone asked about "win for life." The lottery said about 50% of the winners were Qps and 50% were self picks.

J'aime La France.

Boston, MA
                          United States
                          Member #134899
                          November 9, 2012
                          93 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I came across a question that the VA lottery answered recently (facebook I think) where someone asked about "win for life." The lottery said about 50% of the winners were Qps and 50% were self picks.

Good to know. BTW I saw that game few days ago on VA lottery website. If I was in VA, I would have been playing that game like crazy.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4969 Posts
                            Posted: June 25, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Good to know. BTW I saw that game few days ago on VA lottery website. If I was in VA, I would have been playing that game like crazy.

I agree! I am focusing very heavy on it now and skipping MM or PB on occasion. I have been buying 3 tickets (The rules on the back of the payslip say it may be parimutuel if there are more than 3 winners...or was it 5?) for a couple of weeks now (same self picked numbers). There seems to be a run on people winning in general in VA with multiple tickets also  (different games).

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #93947
                              July 10, 2010
                              2180 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2013, 11:07 am - IP Logged

There were numerous times I bought a second ticket just because the first one had such consecutive numbers. Many a times second one isn't better either, oh well Big Smile. So I am thinking of generating some QP numbers else where (on some websites) to make sure they are something I want. Then I will take them with me to the store, fill out the forms and get tix printed with those numbers.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

accesscapital,

You might want to take note of the results in the Pennsylvania Cash-5 for 6/26/2013...

03  05  09  12  13

There was one(1) winner and the pot was $500,000! Smile

http://www.palottery.state.pa.us/Payouts.aspx?id=45724

--Jimmy4164