Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Delay in information?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Romancandle.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LottoNick56's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
Tampa, FL
United States
Member #121764
January 16, 2012
188 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2013, 12:01 am - IP Logged

Does anyone have any knowledge of why it takes the Jackpot games (Powerball & Mega Millions) nearly 2 hours to release results of the drawings whereas it only takes the Florida Lotto a matter of minutes to get it onto their official website?  I would believe that it takes 1 single search of 5+1 balls into their computer system to find out if a winner exists?  Do the computer systems really take 2 hours to find a winner with the bigger lotteries?

...Someone's going to win eventually...

...Never know, could be me...

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1276 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2013, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I was wondering that, too.  I'm guessing that since it's multi-state, it just takes longer, but I'd still think they could have the results in a much shorter time.  The Texas Lotto results never take much longer than 20-30 minutes at the most. I have noticed that Powerball takes a lot less time than does Mega Millions.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19826 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2013, 1:14 am - IP Logged

USAMega also has the drawing results up within minutes of the drawing but it takes a couple of hours before they know the number of winners and the jackpot amount for the next drawing. 

Maybe MUSL is like Ohio's website, they don't put up the drawing results until they know the number of winners and amount of the next jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2013, 2:25 am - IP Logged

Does anyone have any knowledge of why it takes the Jackpot games (Powerball & Mega Millions) nearly 2 hours to release results of the drawings whereas it only takes the Florida Lotto a matter of minutes to get it onto their official website?  I would believe that it takes 1 single search of 5+1 balls into their computer system to find out if a winner exists?  Do the computer systems really take 2 hours to find a winner with the bigger lotteries?

I think its just bad customer service.  But why do you need to find out if there is a winner?  You need only be concerned if you have the correct numbers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5600 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2013, 9:11 am - IP Logged

I don't think customer service has anything to do with how long it takes to posts the results. Remember, they are collecting results from all the states that play, and that takes much more time than one state doing just it's own lottery. I can wait until I get up the next morning to see if anyone won MM or PB because it doesn't matter to me, I'm still gonna play my one ticket regardless of what the jackpot is. I mainly want to see the winning numbers right after they're drawn to check my ticket.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Romancandle's avatar - moon
            Upacreek
            United States
            Member #136306
            December 8, 2012
            428 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2013, 10:24 am - IP Logged

From the PB FAQ page...

Each state lottery has its own central computer system.  There are about seven different system platforms operated by three different vendors in a highly competitive market.  The state lottery systems are not interconnected.  As powerful and as fast as computers are, you might imagine the power and cost needed to develop a system in each state to record and store play numbers for the entire claim period for all states and that is always connected to every other state so each state is instantly aware of plays made and cashed.  A system of transferring money back and forth between states would also have to be maintained as states cash each other’s tickets.  While this system would be convenient for the rare player who travels, the vast majority of winning tickets are purchased by someone who is close to the lottery terminal where it was purchased.

-RC

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19797 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2013, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

maybe it's the time difference

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19797 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2013, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I think its just bad customer service.  But why do you need to find out if there is a winner?  You need only be concerned if you have the correct numbers.

You need only be concerned if you have the correct numbers.Dance

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

With the computer technology today, they should be able to have the list of second prize winners within 15 minutes. I think they do. I also think they have to do other things before they can allow reporters have the results. LP admin should be the best person to answer this question.

That money's gone fo ever

LottoNick56's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Tampa, FL
                    United States
                    Member #121764
                    January 16, 2012
                    188 Posts
                    Posted: July 5, 2013, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

I like to quickly know if someone has won or if the jackpot is going to reset. I don't continue playing games like Powerball or Mega Millions when they are at their minimums because the odds aren't worth the cost per line to me, so I switch to another game for a while. I pick my own numbers so I like to immediately get working on figuring out my next numbers as soon as I find out the jackpot has rolled over. I can wait the extra hour, just don't understand why the technology requires the extra amount of time to discover a winner or a rollover. that's all!

...Someone's going to win eventually...

...Never know, could be me...

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                      Member #106923
                      February 27, 2011
                      478 Posts
                      Posted: July 5, 2013, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I believe the scenario goes something like this:

"Boss, I ran the numbers and there's a match in Florida, Texas, and Michigan". 

"Dammit, I wanted to get home early.  You know the routine." 

"OK, boss give me a couple of hours to find a set of numbers that didn't hit.  It may take a little longer because a lot of tickets were sold this week".

"Don't I know it.  Revenue this week is sweet.  Post it when you come up with something that's not a match".

"What if I don't have any like a few months ago".

"Then give me a call.  We will discuss what State to select a winner.  Indiana has been perking us pretty well.  Maybe there"

"OK Boss, have a good one."

Scared

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1276 Posts
                        Posted: July 5, 2013, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I like to quickly know if someone has won or if the jackpot is going to reset. I don't continue playing games like Powerball or Mega Millions when they are at their minimums because the odds aren't worth the cost per line to me, so I switch to another game for a while. I pick my own numbers so I like to immediately get working on figuring out my next numbers as soon as I find out the jackpot has rolled over. I can wait the extra hour, just don't understand why the technology requires the extra amount of time to discover a winner or a rollover. that's all!

That's exactly why I want to know, too.  I sometimes stay up late on Friday and Saturday nights to see if the JP rolls over.  It's always a little thrill when there's no winner.    Also, what concerns me shouldn't be of any concern to someone else.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                          Upacreek
                          United States
                          Member #136306
                          December 8, 2012
                          428 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2013, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

If what PB posted on their web site is true, then I'm not all surprised why it takes so long... 7 different computer systems across the country that are not linked to each other... would be a mess to sort out the data in less than 15 minutes.

Given that, I'm surprised we get the info as fast as we do.

-RC