Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions Lottery

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Jon D.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: July 17, 2013, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I promised to quit HotLotto when the matrix changed last May and so far I have not bought one ticket despite many opportunities to. I shall be doing the same for MM when the matrix changes become reality.

I would love to encourage people to boycott the new MM but I lack the resources and the know-how to be successful.

Thumbs Up

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4108 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

In terms easily understood: MM is going to make it more difficult for one to win while asking us to feel good about the fact that they not raising the price. Kinda like taking a dollar out of a kid's hand and handing them a quarter and saying " See how shiny it is?"

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2013, 9:48 am - IP Logged

In terms easily understood: MM is going to make it more difficult for one to win while asking us to feel good about the fact that they not raising the price. Kinda like taking a dollar out of a kid's hand and handing them a quarter and saying " See how shiny it is?"

Right, as if giving us $500 for a 4+0 hit is going to make up for a jackpot that takes FOREVER for someone to win.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2013, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Its just another government made disaster in the making. PBs "sweet spot" is supported by ticket price NOT increased odds. Lottery players understand odds and gravitate towardBETTER odds.

Yep, I rate this change pretty high on the "what were they thinking?" scale.

I'd expect the sales to go down, and once they realize that only a few winners a year is not good for selling frenzy, they might have yet another matrix change, like PB did.

The increased winners and payouts on the lower tiers is more of a nuisance than anything. I don't want a whole bunch of measly $1 winning tickets. And the 2nd prize is just about the biggest rip-off ever, 1-in-18.5M odds for $1M prize? Right...

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: July 17, 2013, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I'd expect the sales to go down, and once they realize that only a few winners a year is not good for selling frenzy, they might have yet another matrix change, like PB did.

The increased winners and payouts on the lower tiers is more of a nuisance than anything. I don't want a whole bunch of measly $1 winning tickets. And the 2nd prize is just about the biggest rip-off ever, 1-in-18.5M odds for $1M prize? Right...

Perhaps people fail to cash the small prize tickets often enough that they found incentive to hand out a whole lot more of them?  I'm wondering if the odds for winning $1 million will be BETTER on a scratch off?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19826 Posts
            Posted: July 17, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I find it hard to believe the overall odds of winning a prize will 1:15 or better.  If it is then the winning ratios will improve for most players and it's that winning of a small prize that keeps hope alive for most players.

It should be intersting to see how players react to the new matrix.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: July 17, 2013, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Perhaps people fail to cash the small prize tickets often enough that they found incentive to hand out a whole lot more of them?  I'm wondering if the odds for winning $1 million will be BETTER on a scratch off?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That's the "hidden" source of revenue, the unclaimed prizes or "throwaways" that people don't bother with. That money typically goes straight to the state's coffers.

It's easy to overlook how much money is in those bottom two tiers. (and the amount of money in rounding down to nearest dollar) About half of all the prize money paid out in 2nd-9th prizes is in those bottom 2 tiers of $2 and $1. So a lot of throwaways can amount to millions of dollars.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: July 17, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I find it hard to believe the overall odds of winning a prize will 1:15 or better.  If it is then the winning ratios will improve for most players and it's that winning of a small prize that keeps hope alive for most players.

It should be intersting to see how players react to the new matrix.

Im not so sure........ How does spending $5 or $10 and getting $2 equal "winning of a small prize"? 

Perhaps walking around with $5. bills and giving them out for $1. is a good idea?

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: July 17, 2013, 10:24 am - IP Logged

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That's the "hidden" source of revenue, the unclaimed prizes or "throwaways" that people don't bother with. That money typically goes straight to the state's coffers.

It's easy to overlook how much money is in those bottom two tiers. (and the amount of money in rounding down to nearest dollar) About half of all the prize money paid out in 2nd-9th prizes is in those bottom 2 tiers of $2 and $1. So a lot of throwaways can amount to millions of dollars.

Right, when I first started playing the lottery I thought I needed all numbers correct to win. Im sure Im not the only stupid one who plays the lottery. My guess is most people throw their tickts away like I did at the time.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3157 Posts
                    Posted: July 17, 2013, 10:56 am - IP Logged

The new prize structure is on Wikipedia.  I don't like that you will only get $1 for matching the mega ball and $2 for matching the mega ball and one number.  But if you match all 5 numbers it is $1,000,000.

Took a look on wiki and noticed on the bottom it said "It is not known yet whether the Megaplier option will continue.

This is the only good thing i see. I always play the megaplier now for the second prize, so if they take it away i save a buck and they will lose money. That lets me buy another line if i want.

Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: July 17, 2013, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Took a look on wiki and noticed on the bottom it said "It is not known yet whether the Megaplier option will continue.

This is the only good thing i see. I always play the megaplier now for the second prize, so if they take it away i save a buck and they will lose money. That lets me buy another line if i want.

Reports are saying that Megaplier increases to 5x, and $5M is largest 2nd prize. So it looks like they are hoping to pump up Megaplier sales as well.

United States
                        Member #106134
                        February 13, 2011
                        806 Posts
                        Posted: July 17, 2013, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

It's not going to take forever to win a jackpot once the odds change.  I still think $100 million + MM jackpots will be rare.

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7310 Posts
                          Posted: July 17, 2013, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

It's not going to take forever to win a jackpot once the odds change.  I still think $100 million + MM jackpots will be rare.

Excellent point because for every 138,075,120 tickets they sell, there is a better than 50% chance the jackpot will be hit.

United States
                            Member #138657
                            February 2, 2013
                            602 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

by the way, last nights MM win in Texas was a self pick......

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                              Member #5599
                              July 13, 2004
                              1185 Posts
                              Posted: July 17, 2013, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Another thing to consider is the starting Jackpot value and if it'll have minimum increases. Reports are coming out that MM will have new $15M starting value and adding minimum $5M increases.

Here is a comparison table of the old and new prize structure:

_MEGA Millions$1_MM New Matrix
                              Total ReturnPrizesOdds 1 inMatchTotal ReturnPrizesOdds 1 in
                              50.00%$55,870,000175,711,5365 + Mega50.00%$84,350,000258,890,850
                              18.20%$250,0003,904,7015 of 517.42%$1,000,00018,492,204
                              11.80%$10,000689,0654 + Mega12.02%$5,000739,688
                              10.35%$15015,3134 of 511.34%$50052,835
                              9.37%$15013,7813 + Mega10.39%$5010,720
                              8.28%$73063 of 59.93%$5766
                              6.01%$108442 + Mega9.29%$5473
                              4.83%$31411 + Mega8.25%$256
                              2.71%$275Mega4.78%$121
                              __39.888___14.708

The total 2nd-9th prize payout is lower, 17.42% instead of 18.2% currently, with slightly better payout on the lower tiers.

But the question of whether the new game is sized correctly, for odds versus sales and jackpot, that remains to be seen. PB seems to have found a sweet spot. Is this new MM correctly sized?

Will California stay pari-mutuel AGAIN?

Maybe that 5 of 5 will only be worth $250k in Califronia. *L*

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.