Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

JP Question - Would Appreciate the Help.

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1181 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I don't keep track of lottery questions, so if this has been asked and answered before, I apologize in advance, but with the new MM system coming out, I had a crazy (and perhaps improbably) thought.

Let's say a lottery Jackpot was at $18 million and someone won it. But because all the winning numbers were 31 and under, a bunch of people won in the second tier as well. 

So we have a jackpot winner, but we also have (let's say) 6 people winning $2 million each, and another 6 people winning $1 million each. 

Does the fact that the number of second tier winnings equal the jackpot amount, influence how much the jackpot winner will receive? Would the winner get much less than the $18 million or would they still have to find a way to pay him the $18 million regardless of the 2nd tier payouts?

Idea

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3102 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2013, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

From each dollar wagered a percentage is allocated to each purpose including jackpot and lower prize tiers. I believe the lower tier prizes do not affect the jackpot, but the number of 5 number winners affects the 4 number prize amount and the number of 4 number winners affects the amount of the 3 number prize.  It's like the jackpot is in one hat to be divided among jackpot winners and all the rest is in another hat divided by the lower tier prize winners.

Of course I could be wrong as no state is obliged to works things the same way as any other.

I would suggest emailing the lottery.

BobP

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2013, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't keep track of lottery questions, so if this has been asked and answered before, I apologize in advance, but with the new MM system coming out, I had a crazy (and perhaps improbably) thought.

Let's say a lottery Jackpot was at $18 million and someone won it. But because all the winning numbers were 31 and under, a bunch of people won in the second tier as well. 

So we have a jackpot winner, but we also have (let's say) 6 people winning $2 million each, and another 6 people winning $1 million each. 

Does the fact that the number of second tier winnings equal the jackpot amount, influence how much the jackpot winner will receive? Would the winner get much less than the $18 million or would they still have to find a way to pay him the $18 million regardless of the 2nd tier payouts?

Idea

The Jackpot is not affected by the lower 2nd thru 9th prizes, it is a separate pool.

From all the sales of tickets, 50% of the money is reserved for payment of prizes, the rest goes to the state for funding and operating costs. That 50% is made up of 32% going to the Jackpot pool for the MUSL national prize, and 18% going to the 2nd thru 9th prize pool for the local in-state prizes.

If they don't have enough money to cover all the winners in the 2nd-9th prizes, they have to take the money from a separate reserve fund. And most states have a stipulation that if the prize obligation is more than a certain amount, then the 2nd-9th prizes become pari-mutuel.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Idea

The answer is NO. The jackpot size is not affected by the payout of the other lower prizes when it comes to multi-state games. The state lottery has to bear the burden of paying off the lower level prizes.

That money's gone fo ever

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
          Member #142499
          May 13, 2013
          1181 Posts
          Posted: July 30, 2013, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Thank you guys, that makes a lot of sense. 

I knew that for each ticket sold they set aside a percentage to go towards paying the winners. I didn't realize they separated it after that. Though now I think about it, they would have to to prevent a scenario like the oneI was thinking.

For some reason I had thought the million dollar winners affected the JP amount and I thought Cali was the only pari mutuel state, so thought they were the only ones who would be safe. 

Thank you for letting me know