Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has there ever been 2nd prize winners who went on to win it all?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2013, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I am speaking of either the PB/ MM jackpots.
If no: This could mean there is still hope for us yet. Consider this, if no 2nd prize winner has gone on to win the entire enchilada,  this could mean winning 2nd prize is a " stumbling block" to Everest.
My logic may be flawed, but it could bring some comfort to the masses, avoid 2nd prize at all cost.
Thoughts anyone?
Iol.

California
    United States
    Member #141204
    April 7, 2013
    280 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2013, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

sometimes second prize is not so bad. There was one Powerball ticket sold in LA that matched 5 without the PB for last night's draw (7-31-2013). The ticket is worth about $3.1 million. I could live a pretty comfortable lifestyle with $3.1 million. The only downside is with California's pay structure, I've seen 5 without the PB tickets only payout 150K. Frown

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2013, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

sometimes second prize is not so bad. There was one Powerball ticket sold in LA that matched 5 without the PB for last night's draw (7-31-2013). The ticket is worth about $3.1 million. I could live a pretty comfortable lifestyle with $3.1 million. The only downside is with California's pay structure, I've seen 5 without the PB tickets only payout 150K. Frown

Yep, no too shabby. Look at the list of Worldwide Jackpots on the left. This CA PB 2nd  prize $3M amount is higher than many state lotto 1st prize jackpots, currently would be #22 on the list. (and it's in cash, not annuity)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2013, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I am speaking of either the PB/ MM jackpots.
        If no: This could mean there is still hope for us yet. Consider this, if no 2nd prize winner has gone on to win the entire enchilada,  this could mean winning 2nd prize is a " stumbling block" to Everest.
        My logic may be flawed, but it could bring some comfort to the masses, avoid 2nd prize at all cost.
        Thoughts anyone?
        Iol.

"My logic may be flawed, but it could bring some comfort to the masses, avoid 2nd prize at all cost." 

The only way to avoid any chance of winning second prize is not to play, but if you are so unlucky you just throw the winning ticket away and ignore it ever happened.  That might be a cost some aren't willing to pay.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2013, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I bet this poor schmuck is kicking himself for snagging the measly $2.3M CA PB 2nd prize:

Actually, he's probably Set for Life! This "student" can now upgrade his college education from a college to a university, buy a car, a home, all paid cash in full, and still have $1,000,000 left over!

The statistical probablity of someone winning a jackpot after getting a 2nd prize is just a meaningless after-the-fact observation by statisticians, but the bouncing balls do not care about that. You have an equal chance of winning a jackpot regardless of any previous 2nd prize win or not.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4144 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I bet this poor schmuck is kicking himself for snagging the measly $2.3M CA PB 2nd prize:

Actually, he's probably Set for Life! This "student" can now upgrade his college education from a college to a university, buy a car, a home, all paid cash in full, and still have $1,000,000 left over!

The statistical probablity of someone winning a jackpot after getting a 2nd prize is just a meaningless after-the-fact observation by statisticians, but the bouncing balls do not care about that. You have an equal chance of winning a jackpot regardless of any previous 2nd prize win or not.

You do realize that my post was tongue in cheek- don't you Jon?

After all how does one " avoid" not winning 2nd place if that is how the cards are dealt? Does one say " Sorry, don't want it, give it to charity- l will wait for the Big Win?"

In a word: Its playful banter.