Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are most people playing the lottery for the long haul?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: August 2, 2013, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if most people are playing the lottery for the long haul. I mean even if you have years of losing do you still plan on playing the lottery for years to come? I am a realist but at the same time I know that I can't win anything if I stop playing completely. I'm in this thing for the for the forseeable future. Playing less these 6 months has made me less upset about the loses I've had. I will continue to keep myself on a budget but will also keep playing. There is something about the anticipation of buying a PB or MM ticket and having the hope of one day winning something that keeps me tied into playing. Yes it's a rarity to win a lottery but we hear stories of people winning so who know what can happen to a person. I just hope someday I win something before I die, lol.

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2013, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Even though its incredibly frustrating, I will always play.  A LOT of people win given the odds and I'm determined to be one them.  I'll play until I'm as old as Gloria and beyond!

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Even though its incredibly frustrating, I will always play.  A LOT of people win given the odds and I'm determined to be one them.  I'll play until I'm as old as Gloria and beyond!

Hi jjtheprince,

I'm glad that you will always play and are determined to be one of the winners. I like my little daydreams of what could be.

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1510 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2013, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Yes, play until you can"t play anymore, quick picks and own numbers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: August 2, 2013, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I play cuz it's a fun hobby/pastime which has as a bonus, however remote, the possibility of being as fabulously wealthy as George Soros or the Kennedy's or John Kerry or Michael Moore or Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi or Al Gore or any of those super rich people like that.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2013, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I've been playing since I moved to a state that had lottery, which has been about 20 years.  I'll play as long as I have an extra dollar or two, or until I die whichever comes first.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3855 Posts
              Posted: August 2, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Been playing for 40 years except when living in non lottery states,

I guess that makes me a long hauler !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3855 Posts
                Posted: August 2, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I play cuz it's a fun hobby/pastime which has as a bonus, however remote, the possibility of being as fabulously wealthy as George Soros or the Kennedy's or John Kerry or Michael Moore or Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi or Al Gore or any of those super rich people like that.

I Agree!  However I wish there was one name on your list I had respect for,

well maybe JFK, only cause my Dad liked him, but the rest of the Kennedy's no.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1183 Posts
                  Posted: August 2, 2013, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Isn't that the truth. And that's the thing about the lottery. You can think to yourself, I've been playing for too long with no big wins, it's never going to happen. And then 84 year old Gloria comes along and wins the largest PB JP in history. Every time I think to stop, I see someone win who makes me think 'Okay, just one more time.' LOL.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: August 2, 2013, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

well it was meant to be quick easy money, but 20 years of playing , im in it for the long haul

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4791 Posts
                      Posted: August 2, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

lol You forgot Hillary.  She actually comes from a wealthy family also.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4108 Posts
                        Posted: August 2, 2013, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

l am reminded of what one lottery employee said " Anyone who purchases a ticket has just as much chance as the next person holding a ticket " Last year we had a $52 million Dollar MM winner from our city- this person had been going through hard times, having to live with friends to make ends meet.Suddenly all that changed when he won.

When you hold a ticket whether its only one or more- you have a chance of bringing that baby home- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. All it takes is One.

" Ms Gloria " cut in line" Mckenzie bought just ONE TICKET and the rest is history.

United States
                          Member #142157
                          May 4, 2013
                          62 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I only play when the PB jackpot is over 300 Million.  Only buy tickets 4-5 times a year when Jackpot is Very big

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19826 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2013, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio we have both multi-state games and a state game which has a decent size jackpot most times and better odds so I usually buy tickets every week for one of them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

lol You forgot Hillary.  She actually comes from a wealthy family also.

Yeah, how'd I forget that one?

Or little Mikey Bloomberg.