Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many tickets do you normally buy for either JP?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Tatototman65.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Missouri ?

Yes.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
    New York
    United States
    Member #145706
    August 12, 2013
    108 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

People look at the odds the wrong way. That's why most of them will play their entire lives and never win anything.

"When you begin to see, then you begin to feel. And when you begin to feel, then you begin to believe".

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

It may seem counter intuitive but that is the true Math.

Let's make it simple. Suppose you sell 6 coupons. One of which has a prize. All others are duds. If I buy 2 tickets, my chances are 2 out of 6 or 1 out of 3 since I buy one third of your samples, not 1 out of 4.

If there are 6 coupons and you buy two, that means there 4 other possibilities that may show instead of yours.

If you buy two tickets for PB, that means there are 175,223,508 other possibilities that may show insted of yours.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

People look at the odds the wrong way. That's why most of them will play their entire lives and never win anything.

How would Greg2117 go about telling telling to look at the odds the Right way?

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Exactly, and that's my whole point. It's misleading and most people would either jump for joy when they hear their odds got cut in half after purchasing two tickets and go to the nearest store and buy a hundred more tickets thinking they're definitely going to win, or, they'll call the looney bin and have a paddy wagon show up, put me in a straight jacket and take me away haa, hee hee, heh heh..ho ho..Green laugh

Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

If there are 6 coupons and you buy two, that means there 4 other possibilities that may show instead of yours.

If you buy two tickets for PB, that means there are 175,223,508 other possibilities that may show insted of yours.

Only Money- Well Played!

You highlighted the word " Jackpot" to differentiate it from the rest of your signature. What a stroke of Genius, l am impressed.

Thumbs Up

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
              California
              United States
              Member #112364
              June 17, 2011
              661 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

The remaining number of possibilities are indeed 4, but the chances are 2 out of 6 or 1/3 since I bought one third of your samples.
              Just think about it, if I buy one third of your samples, shouldn't my chances of winning is one third too?

I think I misunderstand your definition of possibilities and you misunderstand my definition of  chances. The two are not the same. We thought we are arguing about one thing while in reality we are arguing about two different things and we are talking pass each other. I should have said chances and not possibilities to avoid confusion.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

The remaining number of possibilities are indeed 4, but the chances are 2 out of 6 or 1/3 since I bought one third of your samples.
                Just think about it, if I buy one third of your samples, shouldn't my chances of winning is one third too?

I think I misunderstand your definition of possibilities and you misunderstand my definition of  chances. The two are not the same. We thought we are arguing about one thing while in reality we are arguing about two different things and we are talking pass each other. I should have said chances and not possibilities to avoid confusion.

Red7 it looks like you are going toe to toe with Only Money on this one, be my guest. l will be in the car.

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Only Money- Well Played!

You highlighted the word " Jackpot" to differentiate it from the rest of your signature. What a stroke of Genius, l am impressed.

Thumbs Up

Thanks, but I'm no genius. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the odds of winning the PB has the same odds of a meteor literally hitting you while you walk down the street. I only play once a month for shticks and giggles.

There's nothing wrong with people spending hudreds of dollars on JP games, it's their money, but I'd be rich If i got a dollar everytime I read or heard someone say that they know for sure they're going to hit the JP someday.

This is why I study the p-3 game. I'd rather find a loophole that will give me a relatively good return on a regular basis. The pyramid system i have in the systems forum seems to be promising, and as soon as I have enough of a large bankroll, I'm going to attack that  Cali p-3 with a fury. There will be ups and downs because no system is going to win everytime, but at least this is attainable, not some pie in the sky that 99.9% of the people won't see in their lifetime. You can't argue with facts.

Most people say, well, someone wins almost every draw, but what they conveniently leave out is that there were hundreds of millions of losing tickets in order for that one or two winners to occur.

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
                    Phoenix, AZ
                    United States
                    Member #136173
                    December 5, 2012
                    1034 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy 2-10 tix a week for Mega Millions and 2-5 tix for the Powerball.  Sometimes I won't buy anything at all.  It all depends on my budget and whether I'm feeling lucky or not.

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Stop Whoa folks....let's not get another thread locked or deleted!

You are both right, but you are speaking different languages. Revisit odds versus probability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odds#Gambling_odds_versus_probabilities

Probability is:  ( chances for ) / ( total chances )

Odds is: ( chances for  ) : ( chances against )

Two different ways of expressing the same situation, and can be converted to one another.

Probability is x in y or x/y

Odds is x to y or x:y

The main problem is with the lottery industry, pretty much everything is expressed in probabilities, but they call it odds.(so do I, its easier to type) So when people are talking about odds in relation to the lottery, it can be confusing sometimes. Be clear.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                        New York
                        United States
                        Member #145706
                        August 12, 2013
                        108 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

How would Greg2117 go about telling telling to look at the odds the Right way?

Just think about. What seperates the lotto winners from everyone else who see the odds as being astronomically impossible. Is it luck ? Or mabey being in the right place at the right time.

Why do some people struggle through life and others are successful. Those who see them selves as being succesfull, having everything they always wanted, and holding on to that mentality, then everything around them will fall into place the way they imagined it. That's how the world works around you.

"When you begin to see, then you begin to feel. And when you begin to feel, then you begin to believe".

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2013, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Just rethought my original question- it should have read how many lines do you purchase on a " single ticket"- that would have been less confusing- if it was, given that some could purchase up to 10 lines on a single ticket.

Either way- playing and winning is better than playing and losing.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: September 2, 2013, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

onlymoney,

Here I am. Oy vey, here we go again.

You are exactly right.

Since there is one and only one set of winning numbers drawn, we will call that one line of numbers, every line of nnumbers played reduces the odds by one line, not by one half of the total lines.

I'll repeat the challenge for those who beliver the one-half theory, pool your money on any jackpot game with enough people (how many on this board) and you have a lock, right?

For all thiose who would like to play an extra magic line of nnumbers and cut the odds in half, please send $119.95 to

Make Me Rich

C/O SP

P O Box 1/2

Schmucksville, USA  0000.5

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                              Member #128790
                              June 2, 2012
                              5431 Posts
                              Posted: September 2, 2013, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

onlymoney,

Here I am. Oy vey, here we go again.

You are exactly right.

Since there is one and only one set of winning numbers drawn, we will call that one line of numbers, every line of nnumbers played reduces the odds by one line, not by one half of the total lines.

I'll repeat the challenge for those who beliver the one-half theory, pool your money on any jackpot game with enough people (how many on this board) and you have a lock, right?

For all thiose who would like to play an extra magic line of nnumbers and cut the odds in half, please send $119.95 to

Make Me Rich

C/O SP

P O Box 1/2

Schmucksville, USA  0000.5

Green laugh