Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some people not care how much they spend on lottery and feel it will be worth it if you win?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by JoshUK.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2013, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if some people just do not care to budget themselves when it comes to playing the lottery and feel that it will all be worthwhile if you win the jackpot? I was watching the show "The Lottery Changed my Life" on TLC the other day. I've seen all these episodes so many times. Anyway there was this guy who bought a NASCAR racing team and he had said that he spent about 23 dollars when he played the draw games and spent about 500 dollars a year on the lottery. He was unemployed at the time of his win but it didn't stop him from playing. It got me to thinking that maybe some people just don't really think about how much they spend on the lottery and really feel that it would all be a wash if they win millions. I never keep track of how much money I spend per year on the lottery but I do keep myself on a budget and usually only buy one ticket for MM and PB with powerplay (unless the jackpot is over 300 million then will buy a few more). With scratchers I tend to buy one scratch ticket and scratch it in the store if I lose then I buy one more of the same ticket and leave store. If I win on that first scratch ticket will not buy another one and just leave the store.  I've had so many loses over these last almost 4 years of playing.  I'm still trying to be optimistic about winning the lottery even with all my bad luck. When I get the urge to just go nuts on playing I have a pep talk with myself and try to remember that I must continue to be a responsible lottery player.  Have to say though, there are times that I wish I had never started to play the lottery because I would now have that money in the bank.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2013, 8:58 am - IP Logged

I have always bought tickets, but never as much as the guy your talking about no matter how much the jackpot was...I'll tell you why...A few years ago there was a guy in SC who bought 1 and I mean ONE ticket got the power play and won 265 million dollars....That's is why it is so hard for me to buy more than one or 2 tickets

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2013, 9:28 am - IP Logged

I have always bought tickets, but never as much as the guy your talking about no matter how much the jackpot was...I'll tell you why...A few years ago there was a guy in SC who bought 1 and I mean ONE ticket got the power play and won 265 million dollars....That's is why it is so hard for me to buy more than one or 2 tickets

Hi billionare2bee,

Wow that's great to hear that a guy in SC won by just buying one ticket with the powerplay. That's also the reason I buy just one ticket for PB and MM with the powerplay and megaplier option. Since it might seem like you have more of a chance if you buy more tickets, with the odds of winning 1 out of 175 million, then even if I bought 5 tickets per draw still would have an impossible chance of winning. By buying one ticket it gives me a chance to still dream and keep myself in the game.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2013, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Hi billionare2bee,

Wow that's great to hear that a guy in SC won by just buying one ticket with the powerplay. That's also the reason I buy just one ticket for PB and MM with the powerplay and megaplier option. Since it might seem like you have more of a chance if you buy more tickets, with the odds of winning 1 out of 175 million, then even if I bought 5 tickets per draw still would have an impossible chance of winning. By buying one ticket it gives me a chance to still dream and keep myself in the game.

There you go...a chance is all one could ask for...well other than a jackpot win anyways LOL

Kee12's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          I rep CA
          Senegal
          Member #144812
          July 17, 2013
          76 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

The Florida woman who won 590 millions on PB bought only one quickpick ticket. When it's your time to win, a ticket will do.  Personally, highest I spend on MM/SLP/PB per draw is 5 dollars, and I play on mostly weekends.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
            SW Florida
            United States
            Member #145673
            August 11, 2013
            152 Posts
            Posted: September 3, 2013, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Of course I care how much I spend. We're very budget-conscious. There's a certain (small) amount of money in our budget for fun things and that's it, no more. The odd time I spend a few more dollars per week on a lottery, I'll cut back the next week or two, or cut back on something else, i.e., not ordering alcohol when we go out to eat, etc.  And like others have said, it just takes one ticket to win. I've heard loads of stories, particularly when I lived in Australia, about some winner of a huge jackpot buying just one QP, and/or playing the lottery for the very first time in their lives.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7343 Posts
              Posted: September 3, 2013, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

The Florida woman who won 590 millions on PB bought only one quickpick ticket. When it's your time to win, a ticket will do.  Personally, highest I spend on MM/SLP/PB per draw is 5 dollars, and I play on mostly weekends.

She bought other tickets for that drawing. Apparently she bought the winning ticket when she was in a hurry.

Winning a PB and MM jackpot is being in the right place at the right time. About 99% of all lottery players buy their tickets at the wrong place at the wrong time, but a few of us can still buy the right ticket and that's why we keep playing. Besides, where else can someone get multi-million dollars for a buck or two?

United States
                Member #145267
                August 1, 2013
                1713 Posts
                Posted: September 3, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Something does not sound right in what you said, "being in the right place at the right time".  Would it matter where you buy the ticket, oppose to the time you buy the ticket?  I'm one of those people that is still on the fence about the ramdomness of PB/MM picking the winning numbers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4960 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if some people just do not care to budget themselves when it comes to playing the lottery and feel that it will all be worthwhile if you win the jackpot? I was watching the show "The Lottery Changed my Life" on TLC the other day. I've seen all these episodes so many times. Anyway there was this guy who bought a NASCAR racing team and he had said that he spent about 23 dollars when he played the draw games and spent about 500 dollars a year on the lottery. He was unemployed at the time of his win but it didn't stop him from playing. It got me to thinking that maybe some people just don't really think about how much they spend on the lottery and really feel that it would all be a wash if they win millions. I never keep track of how much money I spend per year on the lottery but I do keep myself on a budget and usually only buy one ticket for MM and PB with powerplay (unless the jackpot is over 300 million then will buy a few more). With scratchers I tend to buy one scratch ticket and scratch it in the store if I lose then I buy one more of the same ticket and leave store. If I win on that first scratch ticket will not buy another one and just leave the store.  I've had so many loses over these last almost 4 years of playing.  I'm still trying to be optimistic about winning the lottery even with all my bad luck. When I get the urge to just go nuts on playing I have a pep talk with myself and try to remember that I must continue to be a responsible lottery player.  Have to say though, there are times that I wish I had never started to play the lottery because I would now have that money in the bank.

"I've had so many loses over these last almost 4 years of playing.  I'm still trying to be optimistic about winning the lottery even with all my bad luck. When I get the urge to just go nuts on playing I have a pep talk with myself and try to remember that I must continue to be a responsible lottery player.  Have to say though, there are times that I wish I had never started to play the lottery because I would now have that money in the bank."

I know this will be ignored and I have said this before but I am concerned with how the lottery seems to depress you and how you blame yourself. I have not won a major JP and I would never blame myself (it is random and luck) and 99.99% of the people on this site are not internalizing it like you are. You echo these same themes over and over in your past posts. If you regret spending the money and are obviously missing that money, then you should not play. I have a feeling you are spending way more that you are admitting. I really hope you find the means to focus on other things in your life, then the lottery will be less central to your life. I cannot in good conscience pat you on the head and say "awwww....your ship will come in someday."  It is very unlikely you will even get the money back that you spent. It will not solve your existing issues.

J'aime La France.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19964 Posts
                    Posted: September 3, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I like watching them shows Smiley

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: September 3, 2013, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar dont look back and regret, thats what people do on their deathbeds. You got to learn and move forward. I was heavy on scratch tickets and being from the same state as you, I know how those brightly colored cards call out your name from behind the counter as you pay for that AriZona Green Tea drink Big Grin (I like it). But I had to stop myself because I was heading nowhere. Take advantage of MA lottery bet slips advanced play feature. Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4960 Posts
                        Posted: September 3, 2013, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar dont look back and regret, thats what people do on their deathbeds. You got to learn and move forward. I was heavy on scratch tickets and being from the same state as you, I know how those brightly colored cards call out your name from behind the counter as you pay for that AriZona Green Tea drink Big Grin (I like it). But I had to stop myself because I was heading nowhere. Take advantage of MA lottery bet slips advanced play feature. Thumbs Up

I bought a scratch off ticket one time for $2 out of a machine. I think it was some lucky 7's game and the grand prize was like $700. I regretted it before I even scratched it. For some reason the scratch off tickets do not appeal to me een though I like bright colors and designs being an artist. I think I like picking my own numbers too much.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4145 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Out here in California at lottery counters they have signs that read " Play Responsibly"-that's because people will play the mortgage money if they think their numbers are the ones.If one does not have a budget- trouble looms.it amazes me that people will go on a vacation and kinda figure out how much the hotel is gonna cost, the airfare, the essentials, but to some there is no budget when it comes to playing the lottery.  Let me tell you something- if there is one place where a budget should be reinforced,  its when playing scratches & lottery tickets. Once you put that $20.00 bill on the counter- its bye bye Broadway.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: September 3, 2013, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

I bought a scratch off ticket one time for $2 out of a machine. I think it was some lucky 7's game and the grand prize was like $700. I regretted it before I even scratched it. For some reason the scratch off tickets do not appeal to me een though I like bright colors and designs being an artist. I think I like picking my own numbers too much.

Scratch tickets are as addictive as heroine (never tried, just read about it). The small prizes that help you break even are what gives you a rush after the design and bright colours catch your eyes. I heard KENO is equally addictive. I hate to be a prisoner of anything so anything addictive is out.

That money's gone fo ever

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4145 Posts
                              Posted: September 4, 2013, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Scratch tickets are as addictive as heroine (never tried, just read about it). The small prizes that help you break even are what gives you a rush after the design and bright colours catch your eyes. I heard KENO is equally addictive. I hate to be a prisoner of anything so anything addictive is out.

Got that right Maringoman..

When l come out of a convenient store, spent scratcher tickets seem to outnumber lotto tickets in the trash can 12-1. l had heard that if one got a " hit" for like say $40.00- an adrenaline rush kicks in and next thing you know- you hooked into buying them big-time. Maybe that is one reason l don't go anywhere near scratchers, despite their catchy adds " Lucky for Life".." Win it All".." Diamond Millionaire".. No thanks.