Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you see yourself broke in 10 years should you win a jackpot worth $40 million?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 3 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4104 Posts
Posted: September 6, 2013, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Since only you know your present spending habits, do you foresee a spent bank or close enough or do you think the only way that would happen is if there is a major financial collapse with you being a casualty of it?

* Have a Great Weekend People.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: September 6, 2013, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

No, I think I'll be OK, I Remember when I got my current Job, it more than doubled what I was making over the old one.

My oldest sister said "oh, let the partying begin" but I said "no, I'm not gonna do that, and I maintained the the same lifestyle,

except that I worked as much overtime as they would allow.

w/in 18 months I bought 2 trucks (used) tools and equipment for a side business, and a house.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
      Member #135804
      November 29, 2012
      318 Posts
      Posted: September 6, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

If this was a challenge, I'd accept it. Cocaine and whores!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: September 6, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Since only you know your present spending habits, do you foresee a spent bank or close enough or do you think the only way that would happen is if there is a major financial collapse with you being a casualty of it?

I think if you're bad at budgeting then it's possible you would go broke in 10 years. Those who already handle their finances wisely won't have a problem.

I am a pretty thrifty fellow; I majored in business and economics in college and when I make a financial decision (other than playing the lottery Wink) I usually choose the most mathematically optimal option. For example I saved $300-500 dollars a year just by selecting an electricity provider different than the major one. I used to drive luxury sedan but sold it, invested the money, and bought an older vehicle that has low upkeep cost and insurance costs.

I used to buy a lot of things when I was younger but finally realized it is better to wait or just not buy it at all.

So for instance, asking the question "Do I really want this?" when buying something is not so wise versus asking "Do I really need this?"

Yeah maybe I really want that Ferrari but I don't need it as a function of life.....instead of spending a million on one car I could invest it/build a business/etc and within a few years buy that car AND a house (after all, what good is money if you can't use it for something).

$40 million or $400 million does not make much a difference to me....I think wasting any amount of money that could be applied more optimally is just bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is money only amplifies what qualities you already possess. It may make your life better but if you don't know how to handle it then it can make your life worse.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10345 Posts
          Posted: September 6, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I'll say no, mainly because I'm not into mansions, upscale cars, and bling.

I am into grunge but then one of my definitions of self realization (Maslow) is when your closet only has blue jeans and tee shirts.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: September 6, 2013, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Nope.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
              SW Florida
              United States
              Member #145673
              August 11, 2013
              152 Posts
              Posted: September 6, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

No, I do not see myself being broke in 10 years after winning $40 million. I'd be the type of person being accused of being "stingy" or "cheap" but I wouldn't care. I'd view it more accurately as being sensible and wise with money. It makes me cringe to hear of big jackpot winners bragging about all the money they're splashing about and all the overpriced useless crap they're accumulating, only to end up broke ... well, duh!  $40million is more than enough for me to live the rest of my life very comfortably, while helping others.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: September 6, 2013, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

You never know what life holds in store for you.

Personally, I'm fairly easy to please, I don't ask for much, nothing upsets me too much.

And if in 10 years after winning I were to be found lying in the gutter in a pool of vomit, my only hope would be that it was my own and not someone else's.

Cuz that would be lame.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                  New York
                  United States
                  Member #145706
                  August 12, 2013
                  108 Posts
                  Posted: September 6, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I'll say no, mainly because I'm not into mansions, upscale cars, and bling.

I am into grunge but then one of my definitions of self realization (Maslow) is when your closet only has blue jeans and tee shirts.

Me too. My home is pretty empty cause I hardly buy anything. Bascially a couch and a TV and that's it. I'm not cheap it's just that  I don't really care for material objects. But I have an okay job.

"When you begin to see, then you begin to feel. And when you begin to feel, then you begin to believe".

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                    Beautiful Florida
                    United States
                    Member #5709
                    July 18, 2004
                    20108 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2013, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

I'd say NO. I've always been somewhat frugal, and have never forgotten where I came from.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Marana AZ
                      United States
                      Member #145341
                      August 3, 2013
                      178 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2013, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Anyone who sees themselves broke in 10 years would be best off taking the annuity option. Thirty years of graduated payments exceeding a million bucks will support a pretty good lifestyle for those 3 decades.

United States
                        Member #130815
                        July 25, 2012
                        1636 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2013, 7:11 am - IP Logged

LOL Do you think anyone is going to say yes?? Like somebody will get on here and say I can't keep $10 in my pocket now, I'd hate to see what I'd do with a million much less 10....As to the major financial collapse...I don't really know how you could avoid it unless you vested a chuck of change in precious metals and actually took delivery on them...at least I hope cause that's my plan now LOL

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: September 7, 2013, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure if your $40 millions is the advertised annuity amount or take home, but I expect to have at least some of my winnings until I'm about to die of old age. I think I could have $5 million right now and make it last until then.

In 10 years, I couldn't imagine getting close to spending everything unless I won well under $1 million. And even then I think I would just budget better.

Past the bills for the typical items/services, I really don't spend much money as it is now. Mainly what would increase is I'd buy a high end gaming PC every 2-3 years and upgrade my HDTV maybe every 5. Other than that I don't see myself spending any excess money.

Of course, how many past winners who have gone broke thought they would go broke? I'm sure most figured they were good for life. I think a lot of people on here though are likely to keep their winnings. With all the resources discussed on here there's really no excuse.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                            Rochester
                            United States
                            Member #103282
                            January 1, 2011
                            603 Posts
                            Posted: September 7, 2013, 10:06 am - IP Logged

No! I would definitely do and have more things, but I would always caution  myself. Thumbs Up

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19817 Posts
                              Posted: September 7, 2013, 10:09 am - IP Logged

People who can afford to play the lotteries don't consider themselves broke and they probably will never be worst off even if they win a jackpot and foolishly lose it all.  Just because a lottery winner is no longer rich and ends up back where he started doesn't mean he's broke.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking