Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Scammers Out in Full Force

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Indianapolis, IN
United States
Member #146762
September 13, 2013
2 Posts
Posted: September 13, 2013, 2:36 am - IP Logged

Thanks for taking the time to share this information. I did hear about this scam in the news and I wonder how those scammers identified themselves to make the victims believe they were indeed representatives of the sweepstales company. Did they give out names and ID numbers? Also, do these scammers gather information about their victims first? Or do they call random phone numbers? 

I'm confused. What's in the call that makes it beleivable for thos ewho fell for it? Because if I was to get a call like that, I'd simply hang up. It's an obvious scam.

Indianapolis, IN
    United States
    Member #146762
    September 13, 2013
    2 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2013, 3:07 am - IP Logged

I found another interesting thread on this fake lottery scam at Callercenter and I think, unlike before, more people are now aware and vigilant against such calls. These scammers can call all they want but I'm sure they'd have a hard time finding a potential victim.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6305 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2013, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Good info duckmanThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
        Jacksonville Florida
        United States
        Member #23018
        October 6, 2005
        932 Posts
        Posted: September 13, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for taking the time to share this information. I did hear about this scam in the news and I wonder how those scammers identified themselves to make the victims believe they were indeed representatives of the sweepstales company. Did they give out names and ID numbers? Also, do these scammers gather information about their victims first? Or do they call random phone numbers? 

I'm confused. What's in the call that makes it beleivable for thos ewho fell for it? Because if I was to get a call like that, I'd simply hang up. It's an obvious scam.

Sometimes a scammer will just call random numbers (or send random emails) and other times they will have some information about their victims when they phone or email them.

One scam that catches some people is when someone calls up and identifies themselves as from XYZ credit card company. They will have your credit card number (not that difficult to get or buy). They will say something like "We have noticed some large unauthorized charges on your account. To verify with you I am from XYZ, I will read you your credit card number." They give you your correct credit card number and then say "To verify I am talking to the legal owner of this account, give me the security code on the back of the card." The security code is the information the scammer needed and didn't have. Many people think that since they read you your correct credit card number they must be from the credit card company.

Scammers are successful because they gain someone's trust or confidence and then tell them what they want to hear.

Jacksonville Florida
          United States
          Member #23018
          October 6, 2005
          932 Posts
          Posted: September 13, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Good info duckmanThumbs Up

Thanks!

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: September 13, 2013, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Once in a while I get the usual Nigerian scam in my email, but last week I saw something entirely new to me. They must be getting desperate.

An FBI agent supposedly intercepted two trunks at JFK airport containing 4.1 million dollars, and it was addressed to my name. Unless I came forward to claim it, I could face money laundering charges among others. lol

So I wrote back the following. "Get a real job and stop scamming people. If the FBI really wanted to find me, all they'd have to do is to look up my name in the national DMV database and see exactly where I live in California, since I recently changed my license over to cali's".

I'm still waiting for some hilarious response.

Jacksonville Florida
              United States
              Member #23018
              October 6, 2005
              932 Posts
              Posted: September 13, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

Once in a while I get the usual Nigerian scam in my email, but last week I saw something entirely new to me. They must be getting desperate.

An FBI agent supposedly intercepted two trunks at JFK airport containing 4.1 million dollars, and it was addressed to my name. Unless I came forward to claim it, I could face money laundering charges among others. lol

So I wrote back the following. "Get a real job and stop scamming people. If the FBI really wanted to find me, all they'd have to do is to look up my name in the national DMV database and see exactly where I live in California, since I recently changed my license over to cali's".

I'm still waiting for some hilarious response.

Some of these scam letters are funny, especially the ones with incorrect spelling. Some of them that look official with the FBI seal can scare some people if they don't realize all of these are fakes.

I might have emailed him back and said "Thanks for notifying me of my moneys arrival. I have been expecting it as it is winnings from a lottery I won. Attached below is absolute proof I won this money..." I would have enclosed a copy of one of those "You Have Won the Lottery" scam emails. I would have ended it with "Please forward the money to me by Western Union."

Smiley

NASHVILLE, TENN
                United States
                Member #33372
                February 20, 2006
                1044 Posts
                Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

One would think that the NSA, with all their snooping technology, would find these scammers and do something about them.  But no!  The scams continue unabated and unsuspecting, trusting, (i.e. greedy) victims get taken.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  42027 Posts
                  Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

One would think that the NSA, with all their snooping technology, would find these scammers and do something about them.  But no!  The scams continue unabated and unsuspecting, trusting, (i.e. greedy) victims get taken.

They don't have time to protect us when they are busy finding fault with us.

HyperBe Happy.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19900 Posts
                    Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

All the scammer aren't from outside this country, there was a women just caught here in Ohio who shaved her young son head and had him as well as her community convinced he was dying of cancer and was accepting donations for his treatments.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19900 Posts
                      Posted: September 13, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Most of those scams have been around for years, anybody over the age of 25 that hasn't heard about them has lived a sheltered life or is just plain dumb.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7343 Posts
                        Posted: September 14, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

That's why I only deal with Royalty.

Currently, I'm letting the deposed King of Nigeria use my bank account to hide his money from the crooks.

He's paying me millions just for using it.

Seems like a helluva nice guy.

I just got an email from the widow of the former Nigerian Finance Minister and she sadly told me her husband was recently killed in an accident and offered me a couple million to help her transfer some funds. I'll bet she got my email address from the finance officer of the 2nd Nigerian National Bank who asked me for assistance last year.

There sure are lots of nice people in Nigeria and very generous too.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4962 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2013, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

There are similar ones for artists. They tell you to contact their 3rd party rep. and they want you to ship 2-3 of your works to this 3rd person. Of course, they did nothing more than pull up my name as an artist, do not even now the medium, names of works, resume, asked no questions, etc., typical questions that would be asked by any real client. The email is also riddled with misspellings and they all suffer from too much info (TMI) in the email...."My husband is an art professor at Harvard and we are decorating our new mansion", etc. I replied back one time saying oh I know all the art professors there (I don't really...lol), what is his name. They sent me a made up name and I asked why he are not listed on staff there, then the scammer went away.

You would be surprised by the number of artists who fall for this scam and let their ego get in the way.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4145 Posts
                            Posted: September 14, 2013, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

" The past couple of weeks has seen a significant increase in email and phone scammers?"

They used to target me at least twice a month with that crap until l sent  pictures back like this saying this is part of my personal stash..