Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Bill Gates Reclaims Crown For the Richest Person.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by duckman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
New York
United States
Member #145706
August 12, 2013
108 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2013, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

After overtaking Carlos Slim, Gates is now the richest man alive with a net worth of $72 billion and still growing. He would have been worth about a $100 billion if he had not given a lot of money away. Being worth that much is just staggering beyond belief. 

The most expensive things you can buy with that kind of money- your own sky scraper tower, an Airbus A380, a mega yacht or a cruise ship, an island, 100 homes, 50,000 cars, sports team, an F-35 Lightning figher jet just for the hell of it. About $5 to $10 billion should cover all that plus the upkeep. Yet you are still left with billions upon billions. And nothing left to spend it on, so you might as well just give it away.

If I had the choice, I would be happy just being a millionaire than a billionaire.

United States
    Member #124493
    March 14, 2012
    7023 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2013, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

After overtaking Carlos Slim, Gates is now the richest man alive with a net worth of $72 billion and still growing. He would have been worth about a $100 billion if he had not given a lot of money away. Being worth that much is just staggering beyond belief. 

The most expensive things you can buy with that kind of money- your own sky scraper tower, an Airbus A380, a mega yacht or a cruise ship, an island, 100 homes, 50,000 cars, sports team, an F-35 Lightning figher jet just for the hell of it. About $5 to $10 billion should cover all that plus the upkeep. Yet you are still left with billions upon billions. And nothing left to spend it on, so you might as well just give it away.

If I had the choice, I would be happy just being a millionaire than a billionaire.

He should buy a space shuttle from NASA and then rent some Nevada prostitutes for a month and visit the space station. 

He could be in the meso-high club.  That should take up the rest of his money.

MonEl's avatar - 24zd6s0

United States
      Member #132100
      August 26, 2012
      1105 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2013, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

While I do like Bill Gates, at least I do nowdays; What does he have to do with the lottery?

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2013, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

While I do like Bill Gates, at least I do nowdays; What does he have to do with the lottery?

Perhaps because he took a gamble?

MonEl's avatar - 24zd6s0

United States
          Member #132100
          August 26, 2012
          1105 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2013, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

He took more than just one gamble, but they were not lottery gambles.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19964 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2013, 8:39 am - IP Logged

He took more than just one gamble, but they were not lottery gambles.

how do we know what Bill Gates does with any of his money What?

Let it Snow Snowman

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              41925 Posts
              Posted: September 17, 2013, 8:41 am - IP Logged

He's a smart guy

HyperBe Happy.

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2013, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I dont know...you could do a whole lot more with billions than millions LOL..for instance I remember years ago when I worked for Hertz rent a car, Ford sold it to a group of investors for 8 billion...Imagine you could actually own the biggest rental car agency for 8 billion...it's alot easier to own than trying to get the NFL to approve you to buy or even start a team

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                  Member #142777
                  May 18, 2013
                  263 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

If memory serves Bill Gates turned the greatest investment of all time.  A $90,000 loan to buy the dos operating system code(he and his partner didn't even write!)  to then turn around and license it to IBM that needed an operating system.  Instead of selling it to them they leased it for $1 for every computer IBM ever sold and later to every other computer seller.  Maybe it was 60 minutes that i seen this on years ago so don't quote me exactly on all the facts.

Can you imagine how the person(or small firm) that actually wrote that code felt like after the fact?

cheersBig Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                    Jacksonville Florida
                    United States
                    Member #23018
                    October 6, 2005
                    929 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2013, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

If memory serves Bill Gates turned the greatest investment of all time.  A $90,000 loan to buy the dos operating system code(he and his partner didn't even write!)  to then turn around and license it to IBM that needed an operating system.  Instead of selling it to them they leased it for $1 for every computer IBM ever sold and later to every other computer seller.  Maybe it was 60 minutes that i seen this on years ago so don't quote me exactly on all the facts.

Can you imagine how the person(or small firm) that actually wrote that code felt like after the fact?

cheersBig Grin

Check out the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley", a cool movie about this and the rise and conflict between Gates/Microsoft and Jobs/Apple.

And if you remember the MITS Altair computer, you get a cookie Smiley