Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Five Weeks Till MegaMillions Changes

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 3 years ago by HoLeeKau.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: September 17, 2013, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I just got an email from the Idaho Lottery saying today (before tonight's draw) is the last day to buy a 10-draw ticket for MegaMillions.

Starting Oct. 15, the jackpot starts at $15M after it is hit.  A 5+0 match without the megaplier will be worth a million bucks up from $250K, and you can win as much as 5 million with the 5+0 if you buy the megaplier.

Who's excited about the changes?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3052 Posts
    Posted: September 17, 2013, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I just got an email from the Idaho Lottery saying today (before tonight's draw) is the last day to buy a 10-draw ticket for MegaMillions.

Starting Oct. 15, the jackpot starts at $15M after it is hit.  A 5+0 match without the megaplier will be worth a million bucks up from $250K, and you can win as much as 5 million with the 5+0 if you buy the megaplier.

I wonder what the odds are on winning the 5+0 with the megaplier for the $5 million.  It must be really high so most people will win the small prizes.-weshar75

US Flag

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #138729
      February 4, 2013
      2872 Posts
      Posted: September 17, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for reminding me as to why I've already boycotted MM.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
      MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
      Click me
      Open to EVERYONE- Click me

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: September 17, 2013, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I wonder what the odds are on winning the 5+0 with the megaplier for the $5 million.  It must be really high so most people will win the small prizes.-weshar75

US Flag

Yeah, Mega Millions can probably afford to pay the $5 million for any Megaplier ticket matching the five white balls without the mega ball, because the odds of hitting that will be over 18 million to one.  In fact, they'll probably make out like bandits unless they get a fortune cookie incident or two.

---

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3052 Posts
          Posted: September 17, 2013, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, Mega Millions can probably afford to pay the $5 million for any Megaplier ticket matching the five white balls without the mega ball, because the odds of hitting that will be over 18 million to one.  In fact, they'll probably make out like bandits unless they get a fortune cookie incident or two.

Since their is only 15 mega balls in the new matrix their are going to be a boat load of $2 winners and that is going to stink big time.  Because the majority of players do not play megaplier or powerplay on their tickets for both games so mega millions and powerball reap the rewards of not having to pay out bigger secondary prizes.  I have played mega millions ever since it came to oregon in 2010 but I hope that I break even more times then not if I am continuing to play my $5 mega millions with megaplier on it for $10.  Because I lose a lot as it is with the game now but I don't play but two lines for powerball and mega millions.  I was going to up my betting to 5 lines mega millions and 5 lines powerball in october and not chase the pick 4 numbers that I play occasionally.  I guess nothing ventured nothing gained as they say in show business.-weshar75

US Flag

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2013, 1:15 am - IP Logged

It will be a little cheaper since i really aim for the second prize, but the change to the 4+1 suxs. This will make Keno look easy.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:28 am - IP Logged

I think it's bogus that the match 4+1 prize is lowered to $5,000 and the match 3+0 prize is lowered to $5, when those prizes are harder to win.

---

Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

US Flag

For the 5 million prize, you have to win the 5+0+1

In other words, you have to be lucky enough to have the 5x multiplier come up in the same drawing you win the 5+0.

Has anyone heard if there will be a 1 multiplier, so that you essentially win the same as if you had not purchased the megaplier?  Or is the minimum win for 5+0 with the megaplier 2 million?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:01 am - IP Logged

US Flag

I think this is the formula (someone here once posted it, I'm sorry, can't remembr who):

75 X 74 X 73 X 72 X 71

1 X 2 X 3 X 4 X 5

The matrix for the five numbers will have 75 numbers, and you have to hit five.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:45 am - IP Logged

US Flag

The new 5+0 odds will be 18,492,204 the current odds are 3,904,701.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

I think this is the formula (someone here once posted it, I'm sorry, can't remembr who):

75 X 74 X 73 X 72 X 71

1 X 2 X 3 X 4 X 5

The matrix for the five numbers will have 75 numbers, and you have to hit five.

That's the matrix to win 1 million, right?

What are the odds that the 5x multiplier also comes up?  I haven't heard how many balls of each possible multiplier will be included in the draw.  Heck, I haven't even heard if there will be multiplier balls, or if you automatically win 5 mil if you buy the megaplier?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19830 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

What are the odds that the 5x multiplier also comes up?  I haven't heard how many balls of each possible multiplier will be included in the draw.  Heck, I haven't even heard if there will be multiplier balls, or if you automatically win 5 mil if you buy the megaplier?

Do you expect them to put more than one of each in the machine?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

That means you have only ten more try to win it while it's still easy.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            Happyland
                            United States
                            Member #146344
                            September 1, 2013
                            1129 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

MegaplierOdds of Increase
                            5X - Prize Won Times 56 in 15
                            4X - Prize Won Times 43 in 15
                            3X - Prize Won Times 34 in 15
                            2X - Prize Won Times 22 in 15

According to official documents

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Do you expect them to put more than one of each in the machine?

I'm pretty sure they used to do that when Powerball still had a draw for the multiplier.  They had several 2x balls, and only 1 4x or 5x, whatever the top multipler was.  Or else I'm delusional.  Could be either.