Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

newbie question on pick 3 games

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Trek40.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Haddam, Connecticut
United States
Member #146993
September 18, 2013
2 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

What does someone mean when they ask for a play 3 slip with backup play type? The play types I can choose from are Str, Box, Str/Box, Combo, Front Pair, Back Pair and Split. I am always asked for a play 3 backup ticket and don't understand which play type that corresponds to. Thanks in advance!

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
    Winning makes me smile.
    bel air maryland
    United States
    Member #90251
    April 24, 2010
    4878 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

What does someone mean when they ask for a play 3 slip with backup play type? The play types I can choose from are Str, Box, Str/Box, Combo, Front Pair, Back Pair and Split. I am always asked for a play 3 backup ticket and don't understand which play type that corresponds to. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps they mean a box bet?  That way you're covered no matter what order it comes in. I've never heard that term. Maybe

it's a local thing...?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
      Member #1987
      August 5, 2003
      8968 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2013, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Welcome Trek40, I went to the Connecticut website & here are the definitions for the different types of wagers. The back-up wager is explained below.

Straight: Match the winning three-digit number in exact order.

Box: Match the winning three-digit number in any order.

Super Straight: Match the winning combination in any order, win a Straight payout. (Only available on 50¢ and $1.00 wagers.)

Back-Up: Wager in even-dollar increments only, from $1.00 to $5.00 per ticket. Half your wager is straight, half your bet is boxed.

Pair: Match the first two, last two or first and last digit of the three-digit number in exact order.

Play ahead with Advance Action

Future Day wagers: You can buy tickets for all of our Daily games for any one drawing held within the next 7 days, up to 7 days in advance!

Mid-Day3 and Mid-Day4 Advance Action wagers: You can buy tickets for up to 5 consecutive drawings, starting with the current day's drawing.

Play3 and Play4 Advance Action wagers: You can buy tickets for up to 7 consecutive drawings, starting with the current day's drawing.

United States
        Member #132100
        August 26, 2012
        1077 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

The lottery terminal would have that option on it just as it has all the other options.

Here on Texas it is called "Exact-Any", half the bet is straight and the other half is boxed.

A $2 dollars bet is $1 straight and $1 boxed, a $1 bet is 50 cents straight and 50 cents boxed.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7319 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2013, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Ttraditionally the straight/box bet was called "backup" probably because you still win it your three digits are not in the correct order. The bet is made with two equal bets on both ways. Different lotteries give it a different name, but it's the same bet.

Haddam, Connecticut
            United States
            Member #146993
            September 18, 2013
            2 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2013, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Thanks! Figured out that it is a straight/box play type