Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Opinion: Would you rather see more than one jp winner when its over $300 mil plus?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Toronto.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4145 Posts
Posted: September 20, 2013, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Or do you favor a " One ticket winner"  for either PB or MM?

* Personally- l think 2-3 winners for the amount stated above is my preference. Many players who come away empty handed have been known to say " screw this" lm taking a leave of absence from the game.
Your Thoughts?

*Have a Great Weekend People.

** Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: September 20, 2013, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

* Personally- l think 2-3 winners for the amount stated above is my preference. Many players who come away empty handed have been known to say " screw this" lm taking a leave of absence from the game.
    Your Thoughts?

** Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Single winner all the way, from smallest to largest. singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner

Although I don't begrudge groups, either. For example, tonight's MM is $98m. That's $4.9m each for a 20 person office pool, which is nothing to sneeze at, but where is the dream of someone winning $98m and helping their family (parents, siblings, children, etc) for generations? That is where the fun is for me at least.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4145 Posts
      Posted: September 20, 2013, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Single winner all the way, from smallest to largest. singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner

Although I don't begrudge groups, either. For example, tonight's MM is $98m. That's $4.9m each for a 20 person office pool, which is nothing to sneeze at, but where is the dream of someone winning $98m and helping their family (parents, siblings, children, etc) for generations? That is where the fun is for me at least.

You make a good point Piacero however consider those players who have toiled year in year out without ever winning a piece of that pie?..l mean a piece as opposed to never ever walking away with a few million?
      If l understand you correctly- you saying you prefer to win it or or not at all since you bigtime into the " single winner" category.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19964 Posts
        Posted: September 20, 2013, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod 

Let it Snow Snowman

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2679 Posts
          Posted: September 20, 2013, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: September 20, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Your Thoughts?

It's the odds of the games that limits the amount of jackpot winning tickets unless widely played combos are drawn. Years ago in the Ohio Lotto, it was common to see multiple jackpot winners and how much each player won depended on how many. Either game could put a limit on the jackpot size and roll down the excess to secondary prizes. Eventually they will draw a widely played combo and then those players can complain when their share was diluted.

In California the amount of the 5 + 0 prize depends on if that jackpot was rolled over from the previous drawing. There are many ways to create more jackpot winners but that defeats the idea of creating huge jackpots.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: September 20, 2013, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Since I would like to win the jackpot myself it would be hypocritical of me to think anyone else should have to split it.

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                Yonkers, NY
                United States
                Member #127830
                May 10, 2012
                123 Posts
                Posted: September 20, 2013, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

If I win and there are like 2-5 other tickets out there as well.. I would still be happy to split.. I don't mind sharing.. I root for anyone.. single or multi winners..  Rule of thumb.. don't be too greedy.. Smile

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19964 Posts
                  Posted: September 20, 2013, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

If I win and there are like 2-5 other tickets out there as well.. I would still be happy to split.. I don't mind sharing.. I root for anyone.. single or multi winners..  Rule of thumb.. don't be too greedy.. Smile

I Agree! There you go well said, we are tested everydayBlue Angel

Let it Snow Snowman

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19900 Posts
                    Posted: September 20, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Years ago when Ohio' Super Lotto Plus was the most popular game in the area and players from surrounding states were always among its jackpot winners, the state put a $20M limit on the amount one ticket could win thus when the jackpot exceeded $20M and there was only one winners the extra was carried over to the next drawing making it possible for the state to offer more large jackpots.  The results were out of state players stop playing and even though that rule was later reversed, that game was never as popular again.  Other states added PB and eventually Ohio had to do the same thing to attract players from within the state who were going out of state to play PB and MM.

PowerBall tried something similar with a cap on the jackpot and allowing the rest of the jackpot to be distributed to the lower tier prizes but when it made its last change, it got rid of that too.

Players vote with their money and players don't buy tickets for games if winners don't take all even if it's a single winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Republic of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #57557
                      January 9, 2008
                      1095 Posts
                      Posted: September 20, 2013, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

You make a good point Piacero however consider those players who have toiled year in year out without ever winning a piece of that pie?..l mean a piece as opposed to never ever walking away with a few million?
                      If l understand you correctly- you saying you prefer to win it or or not at all since you bigtime into the " single winner" category.

No one is owed a win. Every time you buy a ticket, you are taking a chance. When it is your time to hit, it is your time to hit. 

Don't get me wrong, I would not mind splitting a pot. But I prefer a single winner. That is what I am going for... the jackpot, not a piece of the jackpot. But if someone else also has the winning numbers, that is okay, too.

Your question was "Would you rather see more than one jp winner when its over $300 mil?", not "would you rather win it all or not at all?" I'd rather see a single winner.

face

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                        Yonkers, NY
                        United States
                        Member #127830
                        May 10, 2012
                        123 Posts
                        Posted: September 20, 2013, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! There you go well said, we are tested everydayBlue Angel

Cheers Cheers ... just to win would be a blessing no matter how many I have to share it with..

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

United States
                          Member #135804
                          November 29, 2012
                          332 Posts
                          Posted: September 20, 2013, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

What's the point of wanting it split??????? Why don't you just hope the <snip> thing is won every single time at $40/12 million? That would fulfill your desires 4x a week. That is, ultimately, what you're desiring! No need to come up with a $300m hypothetical.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: September 20, 2013, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Years ago when Ohio' Super Lotto Plus was the most popular game in the area and players from surrounding states were always among its jackpot winners, the state put a $20M limit on the amount one ticket could win thus when the jackpot exceeded $20M and there was only one winners the extra was carried over to the next drawing making it possible for the state to offer more large jackpots.  The results were out of state players stop playing and even though that rule was later reversed, that game was never as popular again.  Other states added PB and eventually Ohio had to do the same thing to attract players from within the state who were going out of state to play PB and MM.

PowerBall tried something similar with a cap on the jackpot and allowing the rest of the jackpot to be distributed to the lower tier prizes but when it made its last change, it got rid of that too.

Players vote with their money and players don't buy tickets for games if winners don't take all even if it's a single winner.

On one of the Ohio lotto games before Super Lotto Plus some players won larger jackpots by winning the start-up jackpot because of all the splits in the higher jackpots. I believe one drawing even had 15 jackpot winners. The new trend in the lotteries seems to be adding new games instead of replacing the worn out games. When the OCL was over $30 million, on paper it looked like the time to play, but considering all the roll-overs since then, it still might be the right time to play.

People talk about the odds but IMO most players are looking at the size of the Jackpot and PB only has to roll once to exceed OCL's $47 million jackpot. Most states added $2 a ticket games, but the cost is the same as betting a $1 straight and box on pick-3 and pick-4 games. Many of these $2 games are like scratch-offs with more chances to win smaller prizes. And probably why MM will eventually go to $2 a ticket after their "more chances to win something" for $1 change craps out.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10391 Posts
                              Posted: September 20, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to see more than one winner as long as it doesn't turn into something like a scene in Bruce Almighty.

Bruce tried to answer everybody's prayers and the next day people were yelling, "The lottery sux man, I won $17."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.