Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

how to clean junk files for free really free

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 3 years ago by MonEl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
retxx's avatar - mrthumbs
BOSTON
United States
Member #48
September 9, 2001
3611 Posts
Posted: September 27, 2013, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

I know this is off the beaten track but I am sure someone here has found out what program is really free free to free up disk space. could sure use some help with this. Really appreciate some answers as there are so many smart people here. ThanksHiding Behind Computer

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: September 27, 2013, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I know this is off the beaten track but I am sure someone here has found out what program is really free free to free up disk space. could sure use some help with this. Really appreciate some answers as there are so many smart people here. ThanksHiding Behind Computer

Doesn't your computer already come with an internal way to free up disk space?

Click the "Start" button'             

Open the "Accessories" folder

Click on the "System Tools" folder.

Click "Disk Cleanup." Select the type of files you want to  clean up and click "Clean System Files."

Inside the "System Tools" folder, click "Disk Defragmenter." Click "Defragment  Now" to start defragmenting the disk.

In addition you can go into the control panel and uninstall any programs you deem unnecessary. Also, you can go through your aduio and video files and delete any you don't think you'll want to keep.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: September 27, 2013, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

You could always uninstall junk you don't use.

I use Revo Uninstaller to unistall programs as it makes sure it gets rid of ALL the files, when you use the programs uninstaller it leaves files behind that stick around and take up space.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

MonEl's avatar - 24zd6s0

United States
        Member #132100
        August 26, 2012
        1108 Posts
        Posted: September 27, 2013, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

retxx

Besides what has already been said to you, there are some free programs, they work well on WinXP, I don't know if they work on your Pc's operating system.

There are many programs, since I don't want you to break your Pc's operating system, Why don't you just use one of them?

CCleaner

Find it with a search engine such as Google.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2013, 7:28 am - IP Logged

Get an external hard disk.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
            Connecticut
            United States
            Member #61623
            May 29, 2008
            20581 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2013, 7:35 am - IP Logged

retxx

Besides what has already been said to you, there are some free programs, they work well on WinXP, I don't know if they work on your Pc's operating system.

There are many programs, since I don't want you to break your Pc's operating system, Why don't you just use one of them?

CCleaner

Find it with a search engine such as Google.

I Agree!

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

BOSTON
              United States
              Member #48
              September 9, 2001
              3611 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2013, 10:47 am - IP Logged

wow; thank you all. I new there was help here on L P.
              My registry is clen but the scan said I have over 3000 junk files so this is what i want to know how to solve i fthere is something to use here, but thanks again. I will try the CC cleaner.Thinking of...

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4979 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2013, 11:40 am - IP Logged

There are a lot of viruses disguised as a cleaner.  I would download it from Cnet or someplace similar.

J'aime La France.

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                  Athens
                  Greece
                  Member #133234
                  September 24, 2012
                  192 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2013, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Search for "Gizmo's Freeware".

In my opinion, you'll find practically anything you might need from freeware programs; Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android & iOS apps... There are also interesting articles and, I am sure you'll find lots of useful info.

Take Care.

6/49 dis(assembly)

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                    Jacksonville Florida
                    United States
                    Member #23018
                    October 6, 2005
                    932 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2013, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Also important: Stay away from those websites that offer a free scan of your PC. These sites are notorious for giving false reports of problems in order to get you to buy their software to fix those problems. Some of them may even install malware or spyware without you realizing it.

As a consumer information test one time, we sampled several of those sites using a PC with a reformat and a fresh install of Windows and a browser (nothing else on the computer). We received reports after these free scans were done that there was malicious malware and spyware on our computer (100% not true due to the fresh install) and one site warned that our computer would shut down from virus infection within minutes if we did not buy their software to "put the computer back to a new state."

BOSTON
                      United States
                      Member #48
                      September 9, 2001
                      3611 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

lots of help here . One more question to throw out. My pc has slowed down lately. Anyone know of a free website to help me speed it up. I bet you do. lolCoffee

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: September 28, 2013, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

lots of help here . One more question to throw out. My pc has slowed down lately. Anyone know of a free website to help me speed it up. I bet you do. lolCoffee

How old is your computer?

Seems you have a lot of stuff bogging your computer down.

If you to Kim Kommando.com, she has a lot of freeware to clean your computer. She checks everything before putting it out in her free tools area, so I wouldn't worry about catching anything.

Try to find a registry cleaner at her site.

The other option is to set your computer to a much earlier date by performing a "System Restore". If you're using MS, and it's been doing it's job by setting a date everytime it gets and update, you should find the most farthest date back you can find and restore it back to that point. You won't lose any files, but you will have to update Windows security updates. After restoring, go to your security section and update so you have the latest security from MS.

The other option is kind of drastic. You will lose all your data, but If your computer is really bad, you can save your data on a disk and restore your computer back to it's original manufactured state.

The last option will cost you about 130 bucks. This is what I did a couple of years ago. I bought an original copy of Windows 7. I got tired of buying new laptops because of the viruses and trojans, so when my laptop gets to a point of no return, I insert my CD into the DVD/CD player, and it rewrites over the existing registry and I have a brand new computer.

BOSTON
                          United States
                          Member #48
                          September 9, 2001
                          3611 Posts
                          Posted: September 28, 2013, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

I just tested and my pc speed is 2.69 mbps whatever that means. So I guess I can use some help here. Again thanks to all.No Pity!

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: September 28, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I just tested and my pc speed is 2.69 mbps whatever that means. So I guess I can use some help here. Again thanks to all.No Pity!

Do you have high speed internet? Or do you have DSL?, or phone line. lol

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                              Economy class
                              Belgium
                              Member #123700
                              February 27, 2012
                              4035 Posts
                              Posted: September 28, 2013, 9:12 pm - IP Logged