Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It seems like I have to continue to fight the urge to buy scratch tickets

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Japan
Member #131605
August 14, 2012
372 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2013, 12:37 am - IP Logged

The whole scratch process is just fun. lol Thats a big part of it. More fun than just looking at numbers on a line and hoping they show up.

I believe that is a big part of the addictiveness of scratchers

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4801 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2013, 8:54 am - IP Logged

If one is trying to overcome something, they should just stop cold turkey. I think having other goals in life and interests makes buying scratch offs fall to the bottom of your list. Don't make gambling a priority in your life.

J'aime La France.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2013, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I have never been a scratcher guy myself, I think I have only ever bought one in my life but I was thinking maybe if you buy one $10 scratcher but don't sratch it just keep it in your house and only scratch it before it expires.

Then when your in the store you think to yourself no I don't need to buy one I got one at home still

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2013, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Hi shyguitar!

I completely understand you! I'm trying to fight my urge to buy scratch-offs too. Ironically, I've walked away the last several times, but tonight, I broke down and bought 3. Granted, it was only $5 worth of tickets (which, of course, means really bad odds) but it was at a store I don't go to often but more people win scratchers there than any other place in town, so I thought I'd go for it.

This is how I'm actually walking away: before I buy PB or MM tickets, I look online at my state lottery website and see which scratch-offs are the newest. Then I check out the odds and how many winners have already happened. I decide at home how much I'm willing to spend and pick which ones I want. When I get to the place, if they don't have the scratch-offs I want, then I don't play at all. And because I usually only pick the brand-new ones, it's easy because they usually aren't out yet. However, I forgot to check tonight and bought ones that looked new. Ironically, the ones I bought were the old ones I hadn't seen before and the ones I thought were old, were the 3-day old ones. 

Oh - and I only buy them from the vending machines. People are human and have figured out how to do teeny tiny scratches on some tix to see if they are winners, so I try to avoid those. 

So tonight? I spent $5 on scratchers and won $2 - which is better odds than I usually have. ;-)

Good luck!

Hi dk1421,

Congrats on your win of 2 dollars that's good with just 5 dollars spent.  I like your playing strategy of not buying scratch tickets if they do not have the exact one you want. Like yourself I also check my state's lottery website to check on the odds of the remaining tickets and to check when the new ones are coming out. I rarely buy scratch tickets from the vending machine. Though the first time I ever used a vending machine I won 100 dollars on a 5 dollar scratch ticket.  It seems when I do play scratch tickets I tend to focus on the newer ones as well but I will play older tickets. Good luck to yourself as well. What lottery games do you play?