Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 11:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It seems like I have to continue to fight the urge to buy scratch tickets

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Japan
Member #131605
August 14, 2012
372 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2013, 12:37 am - IP Logged

The whole scratch process is just fun. lol Thats a big part of it. More fun than just looking at numbers on a line and hoping they show up.

I believe that is a big part of the addictiveness of scratchers

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    5577 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2013, 8:54 am - IP Logged

If one is trying to overcome something, they should just stop cold turkey. I think having other goals in life and interests makes buying scratch offs fall to the bottom of your list. Don't make gambling a priority in your life.

Ladies,  please remember to always stand up for yourselves and your right to say "NO."  Do not allow anyone to denigrate you by saying you must be insecure, etc. for finding your voice.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      587 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2013, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I have never been a scratcher guy myself, I think I have only ever bought one in my life but I was thinking maybe if you buy one $10 scratcher but don't sratch it just keep it in your house and only scratch it before it expires.

Then when your in the store you think to yourself no I don't need to buy one I got one at home still

£2.50 and a dream!

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2013, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Hi shyguitar!

I completely understand you! I'm trying to fight my urge to buy scratch-offs too. Ironically, I've walked away the last several times, but tonight, I broke down and bought 3. Granted, it was only $5 worth of tickets (which, of course, means really bad odds) but it was at a store I don't go to often but more people win scratchers there than any other place in town, so I thought I'd go for it.

This is how I'm actually walking away: before I buy PB or MM tickets, I look online at my state lottery website and see which scratch-offs are the newest. Then I check out the odds and how many winners have already happened. I decide at home how much I'm willing to spend and pick which ones I want. When I get to the place, if they don't have the scratch-offs I want, then I don't play at all. And because I usually only pick the brand-new ones, it's easy because they usually aren't out yet. However, I forgot to check tonight and bought ones that looked new. Ironically, the ones I bought were the old ones I hadn't seen before and the ones I thought were old, were the 3-day old ones. 

Oh - and I only buy them from the vending machines. People are human and have figured out how to do teeny tiny scratches on some tix to see if they are winners, so I try to avoid those. 

So tonight? I spent $5 on scratchers and won $2 - which is better odds than I usually have. ;-)

Good luck!

Hi dk1421,

Congrats on your win of 2 dollars that's good with just 5 dollars spent.  I like your playing strategy of not buying scratch tickets if they do not have the exact one you want. Like yourself I also check my state's lottery website to check on the odds of the remaining tickets and to check when the new ones are coming out. I rarely buy scratch tickets from the vending machine. Though the first time I ever used a vending machine I won 100 dollars on a 5 dollar scratch ticket.  It seems when I do play scratch tickets I tend to focus on the newer ones as well but I will play older tickets. Good luck to yourself as well. What lottery games do you play?