Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Believe All These "Just In Time" Lotto Ticket Saves?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: October 6, 2013, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Anyone notice all the recent posts about how people just happened to find a winning lottery ticket just days or weeks before it was going to expire? 

Some couple cleaning out their sugar bowl after just sticking tickets in there for a year decides to clean it out and check the numbers and low and behold find a million dollar plus ticket just days or weeks before it would have expired or the lady cleaning out the trash to find a winning lottery ticket she just happened to throw away but knew it was a winner or the guy who had one in his glove box and never checks them til a family relative calls and says "have you checked your numbers".

Does anyone agree some of these sound a little far fetched  or fishy or what's the chance?  I don' know about anyone else but anytime I PLAY the lottery and buy a ticket.. I am on that ticket like a bee on honey when the numbers come out to see if I won? LOL

I just wonder if alot of this isn't just hype as food for fodder for all us lottery followers??? Ya think? About as bad as how come all the winners of PB and MM seem to come from New York, New Jersey, Mass, Conneticuit and Pennsylvania?  What is up with that and I think New Jersey leads the pack.. does the person that pulls the lever on those machines live there or something? LOL   

LM

See Ya!

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #129225
    June 13, 2012
    546 Posts
    Posted: October 6, 2013, 6:52 am - IP Logged

Anyone notice all the recent posts about how people just happened to find a winning lottery ticket just days or weeks before it was going to expire? 

Some couple cleaning out their sugar bowl after just sticking tickets in there for a year decides to clean it out and check the numbers and low and behold find a million dollar plus ticket just days or weeks before it would have expired or the lady cleaning out the trash to find a winning lottery ticket she just happened to throw away but knew it was a winner or the guy who had one in his glove box and never checks them til a family relative calls and says "have you checked your numbers".

Does anyone agree some of these sound a little far fetched  or fishy or what's the chance?  I don' know about anyone else but anytime I PLAY the lottery and buy a ticket.. I am on that ticket like a bee on honey when the numbers come out to see if I won? LOL

I just wonder if alot of this isn't just hype as food for fodder for all us lottery followers??? Ya think? About as bad as how come all the winners of PB and MM seem to come from New York, New Jersey, Mass, Conneticuit and Pennsylvania?  What is up with that and I think New Jersey leads the pack.. does the person that pulls the lever on those machines live there or something? LOL   

LM

See Ya!

I do it all the time!!  It is not uncommon for me to find a ticket I haven't checked I even found some scratch ticket from about ten years ago that I never scratced off. It is a Mona Lisa ticket since it is pretty I am going to leave it intact now.  Besides I don't want to know if I missed out on the big one. 

People's lives are so busy it is easy to misplace or lose track of a ticket.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: October 6, 2013, 7:41 am - IP Logged

I wish I could get my hands on a winning ticket...a day after the drawing or a year later even LOL

United States
        Member #124814
        March 20, 2012
        219 Posts
        Posted: October 6, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

I just don't understand how one can buy a ticket and not check it. It makes no sense to me. But maybe that's because I'm a regular player and I can't put myself into the shoes of someone who doesn't regularly play. Like you, I buy the ticket and I can't wait to check the numbers. Some of these people buy the ticket and throw it in their car somewhere or just forget about it. I could never do that lol.

It's always some amazing story when someone wins. The bus broke down in front of a corner store, they went to get a candy bar and seen the lotto was huge, they had just enough change to play 1 line, so they played for the first time, but not before someone let them cut in line. When they walked out the store, the wind blew the ticket away and returned it to their house only a couple days before it expired.

With the frequency of these stories, I always wonder if people just make things up. Like the whole "never played" thing, it's like, you know dang well you play every single draw and you have a gambling problem lol.

smooth11484's avatar - Lottery-053.jpg
          ohio
          United States
          Member #125198
          March 26, 2012
          1894 Posts
          Posted: October 6, 2013, 8:20 am - IP Logged

I just don't understand how one can buy a ticket and not check it. It makes no sense to me. But maybe that's because I'm a regular player and I can't put myself into the shoes of someone who doesn't regularly play. Like you, I buy the ticket and I can't wait to check the numbers. Some of these people buy the ticket and throw it in their car somewhere or just forget about it. I could never do that lol.

It's always some amazing story when someone wins. The bus broke down in front of a corner store, they went to get a candy bar and seen the lotto was huge, they had just enough change to play 1 line, so they played for the first time, but not before someone let them cut in line. When they walked out the store, the wind blew the ticket away and returned it to their house only a couple days before it expired.

With the frequency of these stories, I always wonder if people just make things up. Like the whole "never played" thing, it's like, you know dang well you play every single draw and you have a gambling problem lol.

Boi, I be screamin the same thing like come on man not every winner is their first time playin

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4792 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2013, 8:24 am - IP Logged

I think the stories are believable. You have to remember some people may be getting their tickets on a break from work, other things come up, things come up when you get home, etc. Occasional hectic days can even make even the most organized person do this. A while back, I mixed up an old ticket which I had not throw away with a new one and realized I had tossed the new one out and had to dig through my trash can. Playing the lottery should only be one of the things going on in your life. I think we all have seen a poster or two who obsesses too much about playing the lottery and they seem miserable.

J'aime La France.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
              Rochester
              United States
              Member #103282
              January 1, 2011
              603 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2013, 8:36 am - IP Logged

Momma, I do agree with you for the most part, when you play it's common sense to check your ticket, it only makes sense. However, with an occasional exception to the rule, you may have had a bad day along with being super busy and plain just forget. Highly doubtful!!!! And if you do forget>>Bash LOL

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3157 Posts
                Posted: October 6, 2013, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I think most people hear there was a winner in another state and never think about the other prizes. The guy running one of our pools recently had me scan 30 tickets that he never checked.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: October 6, 2013, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

When you read stories about the number of tickets that could have won a significant prize that go unclaimed every year, it's not hard to believe a few could have been found at the last minute.

I've brought tickets and gotten involved with something and forgot where I placed them but because I always think I've got a winner I will eventually search for them.  I know people who wouldn't search for a misplaced ticket thinking the odds of it being a winner isn't worth the effort unless they hear the winning ticket was brought locally..

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4108 Posts
                    Posted: October 6, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

When you read stories about the number of tickets that could have won a significant prize that go unclaimed every year, it's not hard to believe a few could have been found at the last minute.

I've brought tickets and gotten involved with something and forgot where I placed them but because I always think I've got a winner I will eventually search for them.  I know people who wouldn't search for a misplaced ticket thinking the odds of it being a winner isn't worth the effort unless they hear the winning ticket was brought locally..

Good point, however l have my doubts on some of these stories.There was this one where the lottery ticket was being used as a : get this " Christmas Tree Decoration". How on earth is one supposed to believe that story as being legitimate? At what point did the owner say " hey, wait a minute,  these numbers look familiar? "
                    I can also imagine someone not checking their ticket until they hear someone local has won but has not come forward to claim the prize.
                    As for the majority of winners being from NJ etc- that is still a puzzle to me although l honestly believe the game to be fair.Perhaps the majority of the players in those States gamble more in which case they also have more losers than the rest of the nation.

Marana AZ
                      United States
                      Member #145341
                      August 3, 2013
                      178 Posts
                      Posted: October 6, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Those stories don't seem unrealistic when you consider this:

"Winning lottery tickets big and small often go unclaimed. There were nearly $40 billion in prizes awarded in U.S. lotteries last year, and about $800 million in winnings weren't collected, according to Chuck Strutt, executive director of the Multi-State Lottery Association."

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/28/news/economy/unclaimed-lottery-prizes/index.html

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
                        Ontario
                        Canada
                        Member #137286
                        December 31, 2012
                        93 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2013, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Yes and no. I think there are people who almost lucked out on a prize because their ticket almost expired, as well I know there are people who "have" lost a prize because their ticket did expire! But I suspect there are a good number of people who wait until the last minute to cash a ticket because they have a hidden agenda, be it deny a spouse a share, rob a group of their winning's, have a massive blow out with family and friends so they won't have to share with them...

LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #100025
                          November 4, 2010
                          158 Posts
                          Posted: October 8, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Good point TooTallLuke...

I like your analogy!

LM

See Ya!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:54 am - IP Logged

They're all lyin'.

And I'll be lyin' too when I win.

'Cept I'll be tellin' a real good one. Yes Nod

Japan
                              Member #131605
                              August 14, 2012
                              372 Posts
                              Posted: October 9, 2013, 9:36 am - IP Logged

well...I don't see no reaso to not believe them. Hehehe in any case ....it would be the winners who are making up a story not the Lotteries actualy doing it.

saveyourheritage.com

totalfascism.com

justice4germans.com