Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't our holiday raffle in my state be better?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 3 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2013, 8:32 am - IP Logged

It seems that the last few years the Holliday lottery in my state of Mass is not a good one. 2 years ago for the Jan 1st 2012 drawing the raffle prizes were great. There was 1 winner for 10 million dollars, 1 winner for 1 million, 20 winners of 50,000 and around 1,000 winners of 1,000 dollars. After that year they changed the prize to just 1 winner getting 50 percent of the sales and 5 people a week on Wed. for a month before the drawing getting 1,000. This year it's the same thing 1 winner getting 50 percent of the sales and they just tweaked it a bit to give 5 players a week on Wed. for over a month a chance to win 1,000 dollars. My state really seems to be cheap about giving back to people who play the lottery. I've been told that my state is in the top 3 for having the most lottery players and what is the thanks that we get? The raffle tickets cost 10 dollars each. They should have continued to make the prizes like they did 2 years ago. I realize no one is making me buy a ticket (last year I bought one) I just wish we could have some good prizes. Anyone's thoughts about this and what is your state holiday raffle like?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: October 8, 2013, 10:51 am - IP Logged

That 50/50 is not impressive. You could buy 10 dollar tickets for other games to win the same amount. Maybe you should drive down to CT for the super draw. Lets see if it reachs a million.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: October 8, 2013, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Let me ask you this....Would you care if you were the one getting the 50%??

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: October 8, 2013, 11:02 am - IP Logged

That 50/50 is not impressive. You could buy 10 dollar tickets for other games to win the same amount. Maybe you should drive down to CT for the super draw. Lets see if it reachs a million.

Hi RedStang,

It seems that you agree with me about the 50/50 not being very impressive. Unfortunately I'm not really near CT so driving down there and spending gas money on the drive isn't worth it.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: October 8, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi RedStang,

It seems that you agree with me about the 50/50 not being very impressive. Unfortunately I'm not really near CT so driving down there and spending gas money on the drive isn't worth it.

Well the last CT superdraw winners were from NY so you never know.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 8, 2013, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar  the PA Millionaire Raffles held twice a year for the last few years are the best. I love them because they are the old fashioned kind of raffles and not these new age 50/50 raffles that keep growing. I prefer raffles that have a set number of tickets and a set number of prizes (Usually the PA raffle has 4 top prizes of $1M each + many other small prizes and only 500,000 tickets are printed) I have not bothered buying a raffle ticket over here since they started with these 50/50 raffles and will not be getting one. Good luck if you plan to get one.

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: October 8, 2013, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

It seems that the last few years the Holliday lottery in my state of Mass is not a good one. 2 years ago for the Jan 1st 2012 drawing the raffle prizes were great. There was 1 winner for 10 million dollars, 1 winner for 1 million, 20 winners of 50,000 and around 1,000 winners of 1,000 dollars. After that year they changed the prize to just 1 winner getting 50 percent of the sales and 5 people a week on Wed. for a month before the drawing getting 1,000. This year it's the same thing 1 winner getting 50 percent of the sales and they just tweaked it a bit to give 5 players a week on Wed. for over a month a chance to win 1,000 dollars. My state really seems to be cheap about giving back to people who play the lottery. I've been told that my state is in the top 3 for having the most lottery players and what is the thanks that we get? The raffle tickets cost 10 dollars each. They should have continued to make the prizes like they did 2 years ago. I realize no one is making me buy a ticket (last year I bought one) I just wish we could have some good prizes. Anyone's thoughts about this and what is your state holiday raffle like?

It probably has something to do with risk management, the smaller the state the smaller the offerings.  Why not ask your state lottery commission?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:23 am - IP Logged

The Dragon Lady told us not to discuss raffles in Tn.

She says they're stupid.

I asked her why all the other states have them then.

She said cuz they're stupid.

I said that me and everybody I know would like to have a raffle.

She said that's cuz you and everybody you know are stupid.

Then she said she's thinkin' about puttin' an entrance ramp for the Blue Ridge Parkway through my holler.

I don't think that's very good customer service.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2013, 7:58 am - IP Logged

shyguitar  the PA Millionaire Raffles held twice a year for the last few years are the best. I love them because they are the old fashioned kind of raffles and not these new age 50/50 raffles that keep growing. I prefer raffles that have a set number of tickets and a set number of prizes (Usually the PA raffle has 4 top prizes of $1M each + many other small prizes and only 500,000 tickets are printed) I have not bothered buying a raffle ticket over here since they started with these 50/50 raffles and will not be getting one. Good luck if you plan to get one.

Hi maringoman,

The PA raffle you described sounds great. That's what I wish our Mass lottery could be like. As I mentioned in my original post, 2 years ago we had a great raffle and I bought 2 tickets for it. It was exciting to wait for a few months wondering what if I actually could win something.  Since then I just can't get excited about a 50/50 split. I don't blame you for not buying a raffle ticket in our state the payout is pretty bad. I haven't decided if I'm going to buy 1 ticket or not. I feel like my 10 dollars could be better spent elsewhere.