Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you ever sold your WINNING TICKET to a 7-11 clerk?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: October 10, 2013, 11:40 am - IP Logged

There is a racket going on with the clerks at 7-11. They are willing to buy your winning ticket at a discount. No need to fill that claim form or head to your lottery office. COLD CASH NOW!

I think they profit from this at TAX TIME, when they offset their winnings with supposed losses and since they have modest incomes, they can win with paying little or no income taxes.

Just a reminder to winners that there's an alternative to the complications of winning the lottery for you.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: October 10, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

There is a racket going on with the clerks at 7-11. They are willing to buy your winning ticket at a discount. No need to fill that claim form or head to your lottery office. COLD CASH NOW!

I think they profit from this at TAX TIME, when they offset their winnings with supposed losses and since they have modest incomes, they can win with paying little or no income taxes.

Just a reminder to winners that there's an alternative to the complications of winning the lottery for you.

Unless I owed money to a leg breaking loan shark...I'd go cash in my own ticket....

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7318 Posts
      Posted: October 10, 2013, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

It's been a pick-4 racket for years and sometimes in pick-3. If you you have a winning ticket that might be difficult to cash because of a number of reasons, clerks will find someone to cash it at a price. Usually at a 20%+ price too. Whomever signs the back of the ticket and fills out the claims form is responsible to pay whatever taxes there are.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2013, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Russ Richards tried that and it didn't turn out as planned. lol

I don't think I would ever do this. Where I live they don't take out taxes except on winnings $5,000 and up.

I don't see player clerks as having any more losses than the average player. The only thing I can think of that would encourage them to do this is 1) keeping losing tickets that players throw away to offset taxes as well as get extra (aka discounted prize to player), or 2) offsetting with lotto ticket commissions (usually 5-10% depending on state). Or potentially both.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

No, the clerk's name tag said Patel.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #125918
            March 31, 2012
            362 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2013, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

No, the clerk's name tag said Patel.

Scared

I have seen a clerk name tag say -->Dipshet  Naughty

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: October 10, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Yes, this has been reported in many news stories and undercover busts, catching clerks doing this.

It happens a lot with Scratch games. Some people would prefer not to deal with the taxes and reporting for a >$600 claim. So they make a deal with the clerk to give them a lesser amount in cash. The clerk can then easily scoop up bunches of losing scratch games from the trash can to offset any wins that he claims, so it would appear that there is no net income from those wins on his returns. It's a win-win situation.

The problem is, it's your burden to prove that the gambling win is NOT income to the IRS.  If your records and tax preparation is not good and you didn't keep losing tickets, you could be challenged.(or audited) For most people, small 1K-2K wins do not mean they are profiting from the lottery that year. But they still have to prove that.

I have seen some things myself, but won't elaborate. We know Google crawls this forum, so that means the NSA sees everything that Google sees, and then the IRS can potentially see that info too. The IRS shouldn't be going after small time gambling wins with all the extra required paperwork and reporting. Such a waste of time and money.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: October 10, 2013, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Russ Richards tried that and it didn't turn out as planned. lol

I don't think I would ever do this. Where I live they don't take out taxes except on winnings $5,000 and up.

I don't see player clerks as having any more losses than the average player. The only thing I can think of that would encourage them to do this is 1) keeping losing tickets that players throw away to offset taxes as well as get extra (aka discounted prize to player), or 2) offsetting with lotto ticket commissions (usually 5-10% depending on state). Or potentially both.

"Where I live they don't take out taxes except on winnings $5,000 and up."

They don't where I live either, but at the end of the year the state sends you a W-G form for any winnings over $600 to be filed with your taxes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146344
                  September 1, 2013
                  1129 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2013, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

"Where I live they don't take out taxes except on winnings $5,000 and up."

They don't where I live either, but at the end of the year the state sends you a W-G form for any winnings over $600 to be filed with your taxes.

True....which means that technically, selling your ticket to a clerk could be seen as a form of tax evasion.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                  If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                  P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4109 Posts
                    Posted: October 11, 2013, 9:51 am - IP Logged

That happens from time to time with people who win under a grand, they want to avoid paying back child support etc. How anyone can attempt to evade a thing such as that shows a lack of moral & ethical standards. 

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: October 11, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

That happens from time to time with people who win under a grand, they want to avoid paying back child support etc. How anyone can attempt to evade a thing such as that shows a lack of moral & ethical standards. 

I wouldn't automatically assume there is illegal activity on the part of the player.

Maybe the guy didn't keep any tickets or record of what he plays, he just knows he blows a few grand a year on lottery. So one lucky year he wins $1K, and thinks, darn, now it's reported to the IRS as income, but I'm still a grand in the hole! (not to mention past years) Tough luck. The IRS don't care. So he goes to his friend at the liquor store and they make the deal.

It's really the clerk that is avoiding income taxes by claiming losses he did not incur come tax time to offset the win. That's why they go after clerks that do this in sting operations. The player is just doing paperwork avoidance.

The way the law is written, the >$600 win is assumed to be income unless you prove that you have a net gambling loss.(no income) And you can't carry forward losses from previous years. Is this fair? That's the way the law is written, a bit of government social engineering to discourage gambling I guess.

Myself, I keep a detailed record of every single ticket I buy, to be available if it's needed at tax time.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4109 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2013, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't automatically assume there is illegal activity on the part of the player.

Maybe the guy didn't keep any tickets or record of what he plays, he just knows he blows a few grand a year on lottery. So one lucky year he wins $1K, and thinks, darn, now it's reported to the IRS as income, but I'm still a grand in the hole! (not to mention past years) Tough luck. The IRS don't care. So he goes to his friend at the liquor store and they make the deal.

It's really the clerk that is avoiding income taxes by claiming losses he did not incur come tax time to offset the win. That's why they go after clerks that do this in sting operations. The player is just doing paperwork avoidance.

The way the law is written, the >$600 win is assumed to be income unless you prove that you have a net gambling loss.(no income) And you can't carry forward losses from previous years. Is this fair? That's the way the law is written, a bit of government social engineering to discourage gambling I guess.

Myself, I keep a detailed record of every single ticket I buy, to be available if it's needed at tax time.

Point well taken JonD- however you will note l posted " from time to time" not all the time, besides Chris Hansen did a piece on this exact same thing in the Bay Area where they conducted a sting operation and the vendor said that he " helps" people out who are trying to avoid reporting the full amount to the IRS & state local agencies who would pull off the sum owing for both back taxes & child support.l highlighted the child support aspect of my argument which to me is more serious of the two IMHO.
                        Like l said- you make a good point nonetheless.