Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

With new MM will some people buy 15 tickets hoping to get Powerball number?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 3 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: October 21, 2013, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering with the new MM matrix will some people buy 15 tickets (picking their own numbers) and make sure to play all 15 powerball numbers in the hope that at least they will win the 2 dollars and maybe think they have a better chance of winning something?

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: October 21, 2013, 8:04 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering with the new MM matrix will some people buy 15 tickets (picking their own numbers) and make sure to play all 15 powerball numbers in the hope that at least they will win the 2 dollars and maybe think they have a better chance of winning something?

Hi again,

I should have said in my initial post not hoping to get the powerball number because if someone bought all 15 tickets they surely would at least get the powerball number.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7310 Posts
      Posted: October 21, 2013, 9:03 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

I should have said in my initial post not hoping to get the powerball number because if someone bought all 15 tickets they surely would at least get the powerball number.

If you buy all 15 MM bonus numbers, you'll win at least a buck. There is a 43% chance one of your MM bonus numbers will match the PB bonus number too. Why are some MM players hoping to match a PB number?

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1511 Posts
        Posted: October 21, 2013, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Is this what it has come too?  Play the lottery to win the smallest prizes,  mmmmmmm!  For Mega Millions do a quick pick and hope to win.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #129225
          June 13, 2012
          546 Posts
          Posted: October 21, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Lets see I can spend $15 to be guaranteed a $1 return.  I am not desperate enough for a win to pay out $15 for $1.  I don't play for small jackpots anyway if I win something great but I am only in for the jackpot.

str8ca$hhomie's avatar - Cash

United States
            Member #146028
            August 22, 2013
            842 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2013, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Lets see I can spend $15 to be guaranteed a $1 return.  I am not desperate enough for a win to pay out $15 for $1.  I don't play for small jackpots anyway if I win something great but I am only in for the jackpot.

There should be a billboard sign erected in every State that allows the Mega Millions Drawing. The billboard sign should be in the form of a "Wanted" Poster  that reads something like this:

"WANTED"

(Insert Picture Here)

Gary Grief

Executive Director Mega Millions Lottery

For Trying To Fool The Public!

Sometimes it's extremely difficult if not practically impossible to get people to disregard the smoke and mirrors.  Instead, they seem to enjoy the ride down the proverbial Garden Path....... helpless to extricate themselves from being totally deceived by known forces in their midst who would argue that they have come here for the sole purpose of helping people.......str8ca$hhomie

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking the same thing too, just as a lark, cause Ive dropped $20 on tickets before and not won a thing LOL At least with this you know you're guaranteed a $1 return...Also I think its cool that we can now play our entire birthdates (for the ones who have double digit birth months) and also our friends and families birth years...Im going to try some of those combos

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5120 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2013, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

SG:

White BounceThumbs UpWhite Bounce>>>>>>>>>>>> After psyko trie$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$and trie$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$>>>>>

TRIE'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$and spends moe mony & moe mony

Puke     White Bounce   PSYKO will break>>>>>>"DOWN">>>>>>and maby WIN 2 dollars and maby have

a better chance of winning something???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!

Drum

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #129225
                  June 13, 2012
                  546 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

You do realize that if you match one of the 15 mega balls it only pays 1 dollar.  If you want a 2 dollar win you have to purchase the multiplier for an additional 1 dollar.  So you would be paying out 30 dollars for the chance to win 2 dollars.

United States
                    Member #143211
                    May 27, 2013
                    1979 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

I think that you are a fool if you buy 15 tickets , and you really need to call the 1-800 mega fool number.  I going just get a quick pick for two dollars . Four dollars a week now no more eight for myself.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                      Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

I think that you are a fool if you buy 15 tickets , and you really need to call the 1-800 mega fool number.  I going just get a quick pick for two dollars . Four dollars a week now no more eight for myself.

No more a fool than those who buy one ticket for 15 draws. You don't have to play every drawing. In fact, your chances of winning with Megaball are 100% if you buy 15 in 1 drawing, and only 64% if you buy 1 for 15 drawings.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

The problem with that strategy is that you spend $15 and most likely only get $2 back. $13 loss in one drawing. If you are unlucky and can't catch any of the white balls in the next 9 draws (month) then you are down $117. Are you willing to spend $117 in a month, playing just MM? Not worth it IMO.

That money's gone fo ever

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

We'll probably see a system for playing all the Mega numbers in Systems before the first drawing with 15 numbers in the bottom matrix.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4791 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

There should be a billboard sign erected in every State that allows the Mega Millions Drawing. The billboard sign should be in the form of a "Wanted" Poster  that reads something like this:

"WANTED"

(Insert Picture Here)

Gary Grief

Executive Director Mega Millions Lottery

For Trying To Fool The Public!

Do you know who Gary Grief married?  Melancholy Grief.  Their son is named "Grim Reaper Grief." The cat is named Woeful.

J'aime La France.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19826 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2013, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

You do realize that if you match one of the 15 mega balls it only pays 1 dollar.  If you want a 2 dollar win you have to purchase the multiplier for an additional 1 dollar.  So you would be paying out 30 dollars for the chance to win 2 dollars.

That's still better than before when you had to buy 46 tickets to guarantee yourself at least a $2 win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking