Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Out of State PB

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pompano Beach
United States
Member #122193
January 26, 2012
602 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2013, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

I live in Florida, and plan on traveling to Arizonia. Is it worth buying my tickets there for next weeks drawling or buy my tickets in advance in Florida. For out of state tax purposes vs the State I live in.? Thanks for any info.

"You can't take it with you."Sun Smiley

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7311 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2013, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

I live in Florida, and plan on traveling to Arizonia. Is it worth buying my tickets there for next weeks drawling or buy my tickets in advance in Florida. For out of state tax purposes vs the State I live in.? Thanks for any info.

Interesting question because how much you pay in state taxes depends on where you buy your tickets. If you buy your ticket and win in Florida where you live, no state taxes, but if you buy a ticket in Arizona and win it's 5% in state taxes.

Pompano Beach
      United States
      Member #122193
      January 26, 2012
      602 Posts
      Posted: October 26, 2013, 7:01 am - IP Logged

Thank you Stack for the reply.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: October 26, 2013, 8:16 am - IP Logged

you know that is a very good question....and Ive never thought about it, because id be happy to win a jackpot in any state...but yeah I do agree with Stack...so buy them in your home state of Florida and not have to worry about state tax at all...

Pompano Beach
          United States
          Member #122193
          January 26, 2012
          602 Posts
          Posted: October 26, 2013, 8:37 am - IP Logged

LOL, b2b. I did some more research and found that Florida is one of the top 5 states to win the PB. No state/local tax. GL on your winnings.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 26, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

The tax advice you have received is on point. I however would still try my luck in AZ even if it's just one line. It would be easy to remain somewhat anonymous if you win in AZ but live in FL.  Good luck however you decide.

That money's gone fo ever

Marana AZ
              United States
              Member #145341
              August 3, 2013
              178 Posts
              Posted: October 26, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

For out-of-state players, Arizona withholds 6%. You'd file an Arizona non-resident tax return for that year. You can deduct some or all of state taxes as an itemized deduction on your Federal return.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: October 26, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

The prevailing wisdom is that- you may escape paying State taxes, but Uncle Sam is always there looming larger than life.