Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some people just play the lottery occasionally but still feel they are in the game?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: November 6, 2013, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Hello,

Just wondered about people's thoughts about those who play the lottery only occasionally? I've mentioned many times that I have cut way back on my lottery playing and have continued to do so. It's been about  6 weeks since I last bought a scratch off ticket and I still have that ticket at home unscratched (will eventually scratch it). I'm trying to get away from buying scratch tickets since it's nearly impossible to be at the right place at the right time to win anything decent. I do still buy the PB with the powerplay and since the new matrix change on MM still play it but will play it less. It's been a great feeling being able to go into any store now and not even look at the scratch offs. Normally whenever new scratch off tickets for my state would be announced I would immediately go and buy them. A few weeks ago we had the new Holiday tickets come out in my state and I had no desire to buy any. I also looked at the prizes on the website and there are not many good prizes to begin with.  When I do play now it's a draw ticket every now and then. I still think about the lottery but I've just become more realistic about spending money on the lottery when more than likely my jackpot win is not going to happen. Often I will read stories of people who have won on the PB or MM with just buying one ticket and that's what I'm doing, just not playing each draw. Since I figure the lottery is going to be around for awhile then even if you go months without playing it will not make a difference.  Since the lottery is so random I really don't think that it matters if someone has played faithfully for 30 years or just occasionally play. Now that I have worked on my lottery habit my next thing to tackle is my love of junk food (I need to lose some pounds).  Would like to hear thoughts on occasionally playing.

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: November 6, 2013, 8:45 am - IP Logged

Hello,

Just wondered about people's thoughts about those who play the lottery only occasionally? I've mentioned many times that I have cut way back on my lottery playing and have continued to do so. It's been about  6 weeks since I last bought a scratch off ticket and I still have that ticket at home unscratched (will eventually scratch it). I'm trying to get away from buying scratch tickets since it's nearly impossible to be at the right place at the right time to win anything decent. I do still buy the PB with the powerplay and since the new matrix change on MM still play it but will play it less. It's been a great feeling being able to go into any store now and not even look at the scratch offs. Normally whenever new scratch off tickets for my state would be announced I would immediately go and buy them. A few weeks ago we had the new Holiday tickets come out in my state and I had no desire to buy any. I also looked at the prizes on the website and there are not many good prizes to begin with.  When I do play now it's a draw ticket every now and then. I still think about the lottery but I've just become more realistic about spending money on the lottery when more than likely my jackpot win is not going to happen. Often I will read stories of people who have won on the PB or MM with just buying one ticket and that's what I'm doing, just not playing each draw. Since I figure the lottery is going to be around for awhile then even if you go months without playing it will not make a difference.  Since the lottery is so random I really don't think that it matters if someone has played faithfully for 30 years or just occasionally play. Now that I have worked on my lottery habit my next thing to tackle is my love of junk food (I need to lose some pounds).  Would like to hear thoughts on occasionally playing.

This pretty much explains how I play, I only really play now when the JP is big and only buy one or two lines now for the draw and if my time comes when I hit it then great if it don't well I had a chance to hit it and lost fair and square.

I normally play like once every 2-3 weeks unless the JP is big and it rolls then I just play it till it's won

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: November 6, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

This pretty much explains how I play, I only really play now when the JP is big and only buy one or two lines now for the draw and if my time comes when I hit it then great if it don't well I had a chance to hit it and lost fair and square.

I normally play like once every 2-3 weeks unless the JP is big and it rolls then I just play it till it's won

Hi JoshUK,

Yes we do play similarly. It's a nice feeling to keep some money in my pocket and not have that letdown when I lose. Now when I lose on a draw game it's only a few dollars at a pop.

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #140684
        March 24, 2013
        566 Posts
        Posted: November 6, 2013, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Yeah, much easier on the pockets. I don't play scratchers or anything like that either so just the Euro Millions draw for me.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: November 6, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Hello,

Ask that guy that just won 400 million in SC....he only played on occasion and won, just because he decided to go out and get hot dog buns LOL

United States
            Member #115450
            August 20, 2011
            30 Posts
            Posted: November 6, 2013, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

My year-to-date lottery spending is=$34... Total wins=$9... Net YTD Loss=$25

This is from PB and MM tickets. I don't buy scratchers...EVER. I live in metro Nashville area.

This State's draw games and scratchers are garbage. I stopped playing MM after the new matrix change.

I'm the textbook example of an occasional player.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5120 Posts
              Posted: November 6, 2013, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

This is from PB and MM tickets. I don't buy scratchers...EVER. I live in metro Nashville area.

This State's draw games and scratchers are garbage. I stopped playing MM after the new matrix change.

ole:

Movemonvember>>>>>>>>is HERE>>>>>>>almost^^^^^year<END<<<<<<

Move It On Over>>>>>>>>B>HERE>>>>>>>almost^^^^^year>END>>>>>$

FOLK's need 2 sign^UP>>>>4DJ-Pot>>>>>>>HERE@^^^^>Lottery Post>>$$$

Party

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4106 Posts
                Posted: November 7, 2013, 12:14 am - IP Logged

If you purchase a lottery ticket you ARE in the game.It matters not whether you play often or seldom- you hold a " possible" winning ticket and that puts you right in the middle of the action.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: November 7, 2013, 8:07 am - IP Logged

Ask that guy that just won 400 million in SC....he only played on occasion and won, just because he decided to go out and get hot dog buns LOL

Hi billionaire2bee,

Yes I heard about that guy who only played on occasion and won the big one. Often times it does seem to be people who are not regular players who win. So often I will be getting one ticket for a MM or Powerball game and waiting behind people buying tons of scratchers or draw game tickets and have to wonder if they have any success. I really do believe that someone who plays occasionally will have just as much chance to win someday as the person who plays all the time.  When it came to scratch tickets I had won more when I started playing less by just buying one ticket than when I would chase tickets. Also it didn't seem to make much of a difference if I bought more than one PB or MM ticket at a time since the odds are so impossible that even if someone spent 100 dollars there odds of winning the big one would still be somewhat the same as someone who only bought one ticket.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: November 7, 2013, 8:20 am - IP Logged

Hi Sloyarole,

You seem to be a smart player. I'm not nearly as good as you are with the low spending of just your 34 dollars for this year that you spent. You are wise to not buy scratchers if your scratch tickets are lousy. I agree about the new matrix on MM being a reason not to play for some people. I was furious when I learned the numbers were going up to 75. I never got more than 2 numbers correct and that was out of 56 numbers or something like that. MM is more like Keno now and Keno is impossible to win big money on. Your statement about being an example of an occasional player is correct. I've really just started to change my way of thinking about the lottery and feel that playing way less is the way to be for me. In the past I would leave work and stop at the gas station near me to buy a PB or MM ticket and now it's down to every few weeks. Good luck with your playing strategy.

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: November 7, 2013, 8:37 am - IP Logged

If you purchase a lottery ticket you ARE in the game.It matters not whether you play often or seldom- you hold a " possible" winning ticket and that puts you right in the middle of the action.

Hi noise-gate,

I totally agree with you about being in the game just by buying a ticket. That's one of the reasons that I've been playing far less. By not completely stopping playing the lottery I still feel like the less times I play do still keep me in the game.  I use to stop off at my local gas station after work on MM and PB days. Now it's a great feeling to go weeks without playing and knowing that the lottery games will always be there and therefore will have a chance the next time I play.

United States
                        Member #115450
                        August 20, 2011
                        30 Posts
                        Posted: November 7, 2013, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi Sloyarole,

You seem to be a smart player. I'm not nearly as good as you are with the low spending of just your 34 dollars for this year that you spent. You are wise to not buy scratchers if your scratch tickets are lousy. I agree about the new matrix on MM being a reason not to play for some people. I was furious when I learned the numbers were going up to 75. I never got more than 2 numbers correct and that was out of 56 numbers or something like that. MM is more like Keno now and Keno is impossible to win big money on. Your statement about being an example of an occasional player is correct. I've really just started to change my way of thinking about the lottery and feel that playing way less is the way to be for me. In the past I would leave work and stop at the gas station near me to buy a PB or MM ticket and now it's down to every few weeks. Good luck with your playing strategy.

Thanks for the compliment, shyguitar. However, I'm far from wise. I just live on a reasonable budget as like most people. I'm a family man but like anyone else, I have various hobbies and interests that could easily bankrupt me if I'm not careful. I look at playing PB/MM as bottom-of-the-list-things-to-do-with-disposable-income.

I've purchased my share of scratch tickets and I can tell you, "free ticket" is best it's ever turned-out for me. I've have a set of numbers I play for the draw games and they've never fell. I figure buying a PB/MM ticket here and there is good enough. My odds are 1:250,000,000 whether I buy 1 ticket or 100 so I tend to keep my money in my pocket moreso than not.

You summed it up how I feel about Mega Millions: I was furious when I learned the numbers were going up to 75. I never got more than 2 numbers correct and that was out of 56 numbers or something like that.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 7, 2013, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Your good luck is like the tide.

It ebbs and flows. 

But your good luck ebbs and flows at times of it's own choosing.

And it don't make no nevermind to the tide if you're there to get wet or not.

If you're there when it flows -- you're gonna get wet.

And it don't make no nevermind to your good luck if you're there or not.

If you're there when it flows -- you're gonna win.

But only if you have a ticket.

And it don't make no nevermind to your good luck how many lines or what numbers are on your ticket.

Just be there with a ticket when it flows and you'll have just what's needed.

Just remember your good luck has no schedule of arrival or departure.

It comes and goes, ebbs and flows, as it pleases.

It may flow for a day or a few hours or just a few minutes.

But if you ain't there with a ticket when it does...

Well, it don't make no nevermind, cuz you won't even know it came and went.

More details in the book.Big Grin

United States
                            Member #122468
                            February 1, 2012
                            530 Posts
                            Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:54 am - IP Logged

Your good luck is like the tide.

It ebbs and flows. 

But your good luck ebbs and flows at times of it's own choosing.

And it don't make no nevermind to the tide if you're there to get wet or not.

If you're there when it flows -- you're gonna get wet.

And it don't make no nevermind to your good luck if you're there or not.

If you're there when it flows -- you're gonna win.

But only if you have a ticket.

And it don't make no nevermind to your good luck how many lines or what numbers are on your ticket.

Just be there with a ticket when it flows and you'll have just what's needed.

Just remember your good luck has no schedule of arrival or departure.

It comes and goes, ebbs and flows, as it pleases.

It may flow for a day or a few hours or just a few minutes.

But if you ain't there with a ticket when it does...

Well, it don't make no nevermind, cuz you won't even know it came and went.

More details in the book.Big Grin

Hi rdgrnr,

I always like to hear what you have to say about things. I like your phrase "your good luck has no schedule of arrival or departure". What a great world it would be if people who played the lottery actually won (yes I know there are a small percentage of people who do win the jackpot). On a separate note I feel like this country is going backwards instead of forwards, lol.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10350 Posts
                              Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

shyguitar,

You're doing fine by playing occassionally.

Granted as rdgrnr said you have to have a ticket to win but in the gambling business a 'degenerate' gambler is considered someone who has to have money riding on a decision. That could be the score of a ball game, a hand of cards, a roll of the dice, a lottery drawing, etc... but they have to be 'in action.'

A really gone degenerate cares more about being in action than winning or losing.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.