Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Since the odds don't change- is it wise to buy more than One ticket for either jackpot?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4107 Posts
Posted: November 7, 2013, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

If for instance you jumped off the $5.00-$10.00 a pop betting per game wagon,  would it be safe to say " lm gonna be a $1.00/$2.00 " player going forward?
Playing it safe or being shortsighted?

United States
    Member #148553
    November 4, 2013
    31 Posts
    Posted: November 7, 2013, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

If for instance you jumped off the $5.00-$10.00 a pop betting per game wagon,  would it be safe to say " lm gonna be a $1.00/$2.00 " player going forward?

The odds of winning do change with buying more tickets. It's only wise when you have a certain method and stick to that method. This applies to any lottery game.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: November 7, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Can pick 3 and pick 4 wins be called jackpots? if they can then those are the only jackpots that you seriously improve your odds on by buying multiple tickets, I think. On the thread "Post your winning tickets here" majority of the tickets are pick 3 and occasionally pick 4. 

Personally I've shifted focus to local draw games and I am going in 1 line at a time.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
        Member #115450
        August 20, 2011
        30 Posts
        Posted: November 7, 2013, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

All 5 of 5 and MEGA BALL®1 : 258,890,850Jackpot*

5 of 5 plus POWERBALL1 in 175,223,510Jackpot**
        -

With those odds, I don't think it matters if someone bought one ticket or 100 tickets (especially with Mega Millions).

My motto is: "buy a line and hope it's my time".

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4107 Posts
          Posted: November 7, 2013, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning do change with buying more tickets. It's only wise when you have a certain method and stick to that method. This applies to any lottery game.

The odds don't change Pick3- one increases their chances but the odds remain constant to the best of my knowledge..
          I stand to be corrected if l am in the wrong here, but the odds are etched in stone on the back of the ticket so it goes without sayin,.however if l am in error- please correct me.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
            Rochester
            United States
            Member #103282
            January 1, 2011
            603 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2013, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

I think your playing it safe in a wise way. Only 1 ticket wins the game. A couple of tikets, who cares, that's just 2 bucks. Your saving money. And if it's to be it will be. Hyper

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2013, 2:19 am - IP Logged

The odds don't change Pick3- one increases their chances but the odds remain constant to the best of my knowledge..
              I stand to be corrected if l am in the wrong here, but the odds are etched in stone on the back of the ticket so it goes without sayin,.however if l am in error- please correct me.

Odds and chances describe the same thing. The game has odds and the players have odds. The game odds (for most games) are based on 1 winning combination out of all the possible outcomes. A player's odds are based on how many chances they have out of all of the possible outcomes.

Since only a single winning combination is chosen for pick 3 then the game odds are that 1 winning combination in the 1000 possible combinations. A player with one ticket has odds of 1 in 1000, and player with 2 tickets has odds of 1 in 500. It's 3rd grade fractions, not rocket science.