Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Self Service Machines vs Retailers

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by d1nnl2.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
FiveXChamps's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
High Point, NC
United States
Member #133621
October 4, 2012
58 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2013, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I like the machines in the grocery stores as there you get true odds. We know we are playing against these clerks in the stores and I cant blame them. I buy from both but Im beginning to lean more toward the machines, only drawback is you cant see where the roll is, number wise.

What's your preference and do you see an advantage to either one?

Thanks

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Machines.  All my good wins have come from machines. I get nervous when i pull out 100$ at a gas station and i don't like people knowing how much i spent. They always make comments. I see NC is putting machines in at gas stations.

Upstate NY
      United States
      Member #140390
      March 17, 2013
      224 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2013, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

I prefer clerks because I buy 5 at a time of the tickets and so if the machine sells out part way through my purchasing it messes up my whole game plan.

Skippack, PA
        United States
        Member #139391
        February 21, 2013
        87 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2013, 10:25 am - IP Logged

This is a tough call.  Here are the pros / cons of each:

Machines:

PROS: NO CLERKS tracking the winners / losers, which means ONE less factor in trying to get to truly fair odds

CONS:  Machines are USUALLY stocked with games which have VERY FEW or NO top prizes remaining.  In PA we see machines mis-labeled all the time with stickers around games claiming a game is "NEW", when it's not.

Over the Counter:

PROS: These retailers tend to want to only stock the best games (Games with top prizes Remaining) and they tend to NOT stock the DUD games  (Duds are games with no top prizes remaining).  This may or may not be true in your state or in your local retailer. 

Maybe the best way to put it is:  Over the counter retailers MAY or MAY NOT oversee the inventory of games they sell.

CONS:  Potential for the clerks to cherry pick based on their observation of people winning / losing on tickets whic could impact your odds of winning, even on small prize amounts.

In all honestly, both machines and over the counter retailers can be good places to play IF you do the following:

When playing from a machine:

Only play the games where there are top prizes remaining & avoid the games that are 'duds'.  This will mean you're focusing your $$ on only the games that have the best chances of winning a top prize.  This can be done easily using a ScratchSmarter Best Games to Play report.

When playing from over the counter retailers:

1) Only play games that aren't duds (Again, use a ScratchSmarter Best Games to Play report)

2) Avoid sharing your results with the clerks.   Scratch your tickets outside of the store or at home

3) Don't claim your winners immediately when you win.  OR even better, keep the retailer clerks completely in the dark by claiming your winners at another store

OR

4) find a retailer you trust & where you know the clerks aren't tracking the packs & scratch away on only the best games to play!

I hope this helps you start to ScratchSmarter.

Now its time for you to start to

ScratchSmarter

25% off - use CouponCode: LotteryPost25Off 

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22861 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2013, 5:39 am - IP Logged

I hate the machines that double up on the selections....the big robot looking type that spit out your jackpot games are the ones

I mean. When you go to choose the 'other' same ticket, it gives you the next one off the one you just played...why?????

I like the strictly Instant vending machines cause once you buy one, you know the number and if you press another same game

in another slot, you'll get a different ticket.

The only bad thing about the IVM's is you can't see the ticket til you buy it ... like someone said already.

Oh another peeve is this..if you put a $20 in and the touch screen is faulty, it'll give you 4 tickets when you pressed 1...the number

of tickets buttons are too close to each other or the sensors go bad quick.

There are clerk hawks EVERYWHERE. Always watching...always talking and always looking for a chance to check out what you won.

If the clerk would just shut up sometimes and give me what I ask for, it'd be fine. The only one that needs to know if I'm winning is

ME. The IVM's don't talk....YET...and that's a good thing if I'm in a leave me alone mood. I do prefer the clerk though....quicker

exchange - money/my tickets....and no bills coming back out of the feed cause they're folded on a corner or too crisp.

The clerks at say a 7/11 or a Turkey Hill aren't going to be buying up the tickets, chances are they're asking if you won in

hopes that you'll share. The clerks at the tobacco stores...and small grocers...they ask because they intend on playing or passing

the word on to a customer who will tip. Too tight a community those little shops...people know too many people and too

many things.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #109275
            April 9, 2011
            1495 Posts
            Posted: November 23, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I hate the machines that double up on the selections....the big robot looking type that spit out your jackpot games are the ones

I mean. When you go to choose the 'other' same ticket, it gives you the next one off the one you just played...why?????

I like the strictly Instant vending machines cause once you buy one, you know the number and if you press another same game

in another slot, you'll get a different ticket.

The only bad thing about the IVM's is you can't see the ticket til you buy it ... like someone said already.

Oh another peeve is this..if you put a $20 in and the touch screen is faulty, it'll give you 4 tickets when you pressed 1...the number

of tickets buttons are too close to each other or the sensors go bad quick.

There are clerk hawks EVERYWHERE. Always watching...always talking and always looking for a chance to check out what you won.

If the clerk would just shut up sometimes and give me what I ask for, it'd be fine. The only one that needs to know if I'm winning is

ME. The IVM's don't talk....YET...and that's a good thing if I'm in a leave me alone mood. I do prefer the clerk though....quicker

exchange - money/my tickets....and no bills coming back out of the feed cause they're folded on a corner or too crisp.

The clerks at say a 7/11 or a Turkey Hill aren't going to be buying up the tickets, chances are they're asking if you won in

hopes that you'll share. The clerks at the tobacco stores...and small grocers...they ask because they intend on playing or passing

the word on to a customer who will tip. Too tight a community those little shops...people know too many people and too

many things.

I totally agree about the double slot of the new "one stop shop" machine. I have often tried one from each only to get the same ticket.. My main play area has a counter and the old style machine(not the one stop shop one where you can scan your winners/losers). I prefer the counter in this case, because I know the guy and will tell me if a bunch of duds just happened or if someone hit decent. His older style machine is near a self checker and his store is generally less crowded, so it would be easy for people to play, scan and play again.  Also him and his wife promised each other not to play tickets cause it is too easy to throw away all their profits, so they in turn will mention streaks to players looking for tickets. I have seen them do it for regulars or even people that were 1st time visitors from out of town. I guess I am spoiled by not having a shady clerk

Most places I stop do not have the counter option, which I would hate due to what was already mentioned. You never know what got hawked. This is also the reason I don't like the " one stop shop" because it is too easy for someone to get a ticket, scratch code and check for winner. However I noticed at these in the Wawa and Sheetz, that they are more crowded. Very rare am I getting tickets with no one behind me. I almost feel rushed alittle bit. 

I worked a grocery store for 10 years. This was back when PA was still using 44(1)532(0)532(0) to signal $100 winner. They always claimed clerks can cheat by scratching a tiny spot and claiming it pulled out of the solo plastic counter stands for tickets. I bought a few tickets and tried to scratch with a pin to see if I could see a parenthesis and you can't. You still have to uncover enough that someone would know you tried to cheat.   I think it was a play by PA to cheat. Yes. I think the state cheated. Here is my theory.. Too many people knew they could confirm winners by looking at the code. Well then PA changes to 3 randon letters. If people didn't know this, they looked at the long number string and thought they lost. Potentially throwing away 100's of thousand of dollars worth of winners. Now they make you goto a store and check the 3D code and then you want to buy more. 

It was a smaller individually owned IGA. Everyone were regulars and you got to know them. You would ask what they win due to being friendly and hoping they would cash out big. You never had to hawk, because the tickets would payout alot better back then and it was fun. Now adays too many greedy people. They keep thinking 3 losers equals a winner, but I have heard alot of big winners following big winners, so a previous win or loss is generally all the same. 

Sorry to be slightly OT. My answers is at my regular spot I prefer the counter. Most others stores you don't have the option. It is either counter, old machine or the new " one stop" type machine.  My $1000 win came on the old machine, my most recent $500 win came on the "one stop shop" machine and I have hit $500 from the local counter a few times.  The one thing I hate about machines is what everyone mentioned with the ticket #. Many of times I will take out X dollars and plan to mix and match. If my 1st $20 ticket is at 027 or so, now I am tempted to get 28/29 to end the roll. I either then mess up my mix and match plan to take out more money and spend more than I want.

United States
              Member #148446
              November 1, 2013
              103 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2013, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Those are some really good points by all. Ive personally seen a cashier at Publix cherry pick from the counter after seeing a cutsomer scratch in front of them many loosing tickets. If you buy from the machine and want to get to your lucky number, you have to buy two tickets just to see where they are at and another to see if the count is going up or down. Many machines I have found are stocked with the remaining tickets from a half empty roll that didnt sell behind the counter so it will cut off at a random number and then just be out. I have won $100 out of the machines multiple times. I think if you want the most honest machine go to a grocery store. I had an extra ticket fall out with the one i bought from a machine recently and won on it, which is something that would never happen at a counter. Theres pros and cons to each as discussed above. I really appreciate the honest cashiers and ones who dont ever wish me luck I refuse to even buy from them.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                United States
                Member #130213
                July 9, 2012
                387 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2013, 8:45 am - IP Logged

OMG,  I was in Newburgh NY last weekend and played on their vending machine. You can check your ticket and it will take your winners as credits to allow you to play more. I just wish the next gen will add an ATM feature to allow the machine to make change so you can cash out your ticket or play a fraction of your winners and cash out the rest.

But, I was blown away with their machines and hopeful the next gen will be more user friendly.