Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think its good buying a ticket/ ticket and not stress about whether you a winner or not?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: November 20, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

There is a $16 mil PB jackpot that expires Thursday- how are these things allowed to happen? Could it be that one has to approach the game with the attitude" l will check my ticket when l get around to do it which could be months for all l care" or follow the prevailing wisdom of the masses that watch the live draw or immediately go online to check whether you a winner or not?
Should one " Set it and forget it?"in other words- Buy your ticket and go about your business as though you didn't buy a ticket at all? Is that the winning attitude?-don't stress this stuff?  You know the old favourite" when its your turn, its your turn?"

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #129225
    June 13, 2012
    546 Posts
    Posted: November 20, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

There is a $16 mil PB jackpot that expires Thursday- how are these things allowed to happen? Could it be that one has to approach the game with the attitude" l will check my ticket when l get around to do it which could be months for all l care" or follow the prevailing wisdom of the masses that watch the live draw or immediately go online to check whether you a winner or not?
    Should one " Set it and forget it?"in other words- Buy your ticket and go about your business as though you didn't buy a ticket at all? Is that the winning attitude?-don't stress this stuff?  You know the old favourite" when its your turn, its your turn?"

I keep all my tickets in one of the lottery sleeves and check them the day after the drawing.  But there has been an occassion where I purchase one out of the blue and stuck it in the pocket of my jeans or a jacket and forgot about it.  But if I would discover there was a winner I would search for any stray tickets!!

Sacramento, CA
      United States
      Member #142454
      May 12, 2013
      66 Posts
      Posted: November 20, 2013, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm not a consistent checker. They all get checked, but I'll generally accumulate and do a big check every 3-4 weeks. It tends to sound like, "No. No. No. Nothing, really? Bah. Oh hey, six bucks! No. No. Hmph." until I've gotten through the stack.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: November 20, 2013, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

One of the Floridians here at LP has mentioned that very often snowbirds or other tourists to Florida buy tickets on their way home and just forget about them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4106 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2013, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

One of the Floridians here at LP has mentioned that very often snowbirds or other tourists to Florida buy tickets on their way home and just forget about them.

Yeah CT- that seems to be the prevailing assumption,  but for crying out loud people- even when driving a car you look at the gas gauge from time to time to see whether that unit needs a refill. When buying a lottery ticket one should function on the same premise...check check check.
          I can't begin to tell you how many folk l have seen over this past year on the side of the freeway holding up a gas can or hoofing it to the gas station because they ran their needle way past Red.
          Once again- Check, all it takes is a minute that could change your life for good and in some cases...half a decade.

Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
            Member #148698
            November 9, 2013
            96 Posts
            Posted: November 21, 2013, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I try not to stress over my tickets, but I usually do. Most of the time I'm awake when the drawings take place. If I don't see any high value winners on my state's lotter site, I'll just check my numbers in the morning.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: November 21, 2013, 12:46 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Let's say we can assume that most people here at LP check their tickets and know what the drawn numbers were.

Not everyone is like that though. I know one guy who plays everyday but he plays for the sake of playing, just to be 'in action'. Every few days he takes his tickets down to a lottery scanner wherever there is one and the most information he ever gets is Sorry Not A Winner, Congratulations You Won $1.00, etc....

And oh yeah, he's misplaced a few tickets.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4106 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2013, 1:02 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Let's say we can assume that most people here at LP check their tickets and know what the drawn numbers were.

Not everyone is like that though. I know one guy who plays everyday but he plays for the sake of playing, just to be 'in action'. Every few days he takes his tickets down to a lottery scanner wherever there is one and the most information he ever gets is Sorry Not A Winner, Congratulations You Won $1.00, etc....

And oh yeah, he's misplaced a few tickets.

Bang Head

Does your friend go for .....

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                  Rochester
                  United States
                  Member #103282
                  January 1, 2011
                  603 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2013, 6:54 am - IP Logged

If you buy a ticket, I think it's safe to say your buying it with hopes to win. So why not check your ticket and see if it's your time to shine? Sun Smiley  There have been many many stories of unclaimes jackpots. Bang Head   I just checked my Take 5 tickets and won 2 free games and my Powerball ticket I split with a co-worker and we caught the Powerball. Banana Now that 4 dollar powerball win will buy another Powerball ticket for this Saturdays game and 2 more Megas which he and I play for tomorrow nights Mega millions. Hurray! CHECK YOUR TICKETS PEOPLE..Smash

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2013, 11:12 am - IP Logged

I dont think it's a matter of stressing, I dont really care if people check or dont check their tickets....I check mine and i can only cash in on tickets I bought and won on, if people are too lazy or even too busy to see if they have become financially blessed then hey it's their own dang fault period

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5592 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2013, 11:24 am - IP Logged

I check my tics right after the draw each night. But I don't think about them all day.

I work with a guy that buys an occasional ticket and he'll say he hasn't checked it for like 2 weeks. I tell him why even bother buying it. Some time he'll lose out.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Rochester
                        United States
                        Member #103282
                        January 1, 2011
                        603 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2013, 11:32 am - IP Logged

This is a perfect point Buck, and he will lose out, watch!Argue

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2013, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I don't stress about anything but one thing pisses me off somewhat.

When a winning ticket holder doesn't come in to claim his winnings for whatever reason, the money should stay in the pot and not be awarded to anybody else.

Rochester
                            United States
                            Member #103282
                            January 1, 2011
                            603 Posts
                            Posted: November 21, 2013, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I agree with that Buck. Just like somewhere recently an unclaimed ticket is going towards the school.  I think the schools get enough already.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                              Jacksonville, Florida
                              United States
                              Member #140364
                              March 17, 2013
                              195 Posts
                              Posted: November 21, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

A lot of people thought the $60 million winner in Kissimmee was a tourist, ended up being a local.

Back to the question of the OP, I always check mine the next morning when I wake up, but I dont stress over it