Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fixed nasty browser crash bug in iOS 7

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by New York.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23352 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2013, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Ever since Apple came out with iOS 7 on iPads and iPhones, third party browsers, such as Google Chrome, would crash as soon as you tried to use the Log In page at Lottery Post.  It affected several other pages too, such as the Register page.

The bug did not affect the main Safari browser — only third party browsers loaded from the App Store.  (All third-party browsers in iOS use the same browser technology/code behind the scenes, so the bug would occur within all non-Safari browsers, as well as within all other apps that can display web pages.)

I finally was able to concoct a work-around for the bug, so that it should no longer crash the browser.  I have tested it using both an iPad and iPhone that are running iOS 7, so I'm pretty sure we're good now.

Unfortunately it is definitely a bug in the operating system, rather than a bug in the Lottery Post Web site, so it is difficult to know for sure if the patch works everywhere, or if it will reoccur at some point.  Hopefully not!

The good news is that now you can go back to using any browser on your iPhone and iPad.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
    Member #81314
    October 16, 2009
    19460 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2013, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Ever since Apple came out with iOS 7 on iPads and iPhones, third party browsers, such as Google Chrome, would crash as soon as you tried to use the Log In page at Lottery Post.  It affected several other pages too, such as the Register page.

The bug did not affect the main Safari browser — only third party browsers loaded from the App Store.  (All third-party browsers in iOS use the same browser technology/code behind the scenes, so the bug would occur within all non-Safari browsers, as well as within all other apps that can display web pages.)

I finally was able to concoct a work-around for the bug, so that it should no longer crash the browser.  I have tested it using both an iPad and iPhone that are running iOS 7, so I'm pretty sure we're good now.

Unfortunately it is definitely a bug in the operating system, rather than a bug in the Lottery Post Web site, so it is difficult to know for sure if the patch works everywhere, or if it will reoccur at some point.  Hopefully not!

The good news is that now you can go back to using any browser on your iPhone and iPad.

The Struggle is real!

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19967 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2013, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Thank you Sun Smiley

Patriot

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5145 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Thank you Sun Smiley

PartyHurray!PartyHurray!PartyHurray!Party

Thank you Mr. Lottery Post man 4 UR help N 2013!

PartySun Smiley PartySun SmileyPartySun SmileyParty

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2013, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Very good work sir, but I dont have an Ipad or Iphone.  What should I do?

Jester

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2013, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Jester

"You walk around in the big Apple and look for an Apple shop.
            Go inside and ask if they sell apples because you are hungry!"

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2013, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

"You walk around in the big Apple and look for an Apple shop.
              Go inside and ask if they sell apples because you are hungry!"

I wouldn't eat an apple from that store, because dem apples got bugs!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23352 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2013, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Jester

Enjoy life blissfully unaware of the pitfalls of crashing third-party browsers in iOS.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

lotteryfanatic's avatar - Snapshot 20120227_11_2.jpg
                  California
                  United States
                  Member #122106
                  January 24, 2012
                  928 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2013, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Thanks for fixxing this Todd I noticed for about a week I couldn't access the home page and was about to notify you of it then it got fixed. And yes I had downloaded the latest software on my iphone around the time it happened, and I use Goggle Chrome

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                    NYC
                    United States
                    Member #117984
                    October 19, 2011
                    1843 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2013, 1:29 am - IP Logged

I was so frustrated! Google Chrome is my favorite browser, especially on my iPhone.

But wow, it was so annoying trying to log in and LP crashed. Glad to know its was on apple's end.

Anyway, BIG THANK YOU Todd, for the effort to resolve this issue.

LP is working beautifully on GC. No issues here... Anymore. :)