Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Laws for out of state winners..

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Slick Nick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
Rochester
United States
Member #103282
January 1, 2011
603 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2013, 7:27 am - IP Logged

LP members, I have heard conflcting stories about this and want to hear what you've heard. If a number player lives in New York, and plays the Lotto, the Mega, or the Powerball in another state and he or she wins, are there any problems with residency and making their claims for the jackpot? Smash

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2013, 7:36 am - IP Logged

NO problems just you gotta pay taxes in both states the one you live in and also the one you won in

Rochester
      United States
      Member #103282
      January 1, 2011
      603 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2013, 7:38 am - IP Logged

Thanks Bee, that makes sense! Have a great day...Cheers

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: November 30, 2013, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Many, if not most, states have reciprocity with neighboring states, so you only have to pay taxes to one state.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19817 Posts
          Posted: November 30, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Many, if not most, states have reciprocity with neighboring states, so you only have to pay taxes to one state.

Winning a major lottery jackpot have a different set of rules.  Even cities and county have gotten into the act by taxing winning tickets brought in their area.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Rochester
            United States
            Member #103282
            January 1, 2011
            603 Posts
            Posted: November 30, 2013, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for responding!

Rochester
              United States
              Member #103282
              January 1, 2011
              603 Posts
              Posted: November 30, 2013, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for responding.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: December 1, 2013, 1:38 am - IP Logged

The reciprocity agreements only mean that you don't pay any more in taxes than you would by winning in the state with the higher tax rate. The only question is if you pay it all to  one state or split it between the two.

Whatever state sells the ticket assesses income tax based on your income from the ticket. If the tax rate in that state is lower than in your state of residence, then your home state will tax you on the difference. For example, if you win in a state with a 5% tax and your home state has a rate of 8%, you'll pay 5% to the state that sold the ticket and your  home state will  collect the remaining 3%. If you win in a state with an 8% tax and your home state has a rate of 5%, you'll pay 8% to the state that sold the ticket. Because that exceeds what you would have owed in your home state there is no balance to be paid.

Buying a ticket in a state with a lower rate than your home state makes your tax returns a tiny bit more complicated. Buying in a state with a higher rate means paying more in income taxes. If I were to win the current MM jackpot (or any jackpot over a certain threshold) I'd be sharing with residents of NY, CT, and PA. PA has no state income tax on prizes from the PA lottery, so ideally I'd buy my ticket(s) in PA. It wouldn't change what I or my friends in CT pay, but it would save my friend in PA from paying NY income taxes on their share.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                  Winning makes me smile.
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  4855 Posts
                  Posted: December 1, 2013, 2:16 am - IP Logged

LP members, I have heard conflcting stories about this and want to hear what you've heard. If a number player lives in New York, and plays the Lotto, the Mega, or the Powerball in another state and he or she wins, are there any problems with residency and making their claims for the jackpot? Smash

If you click on USA MEGA on the left side under quick links, and then click on the FAQ's they explain the tax rates etc.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
                    Member #135804
                    November 29, 2012
                    318 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2013, 2:49 am - IP Logged

The reciprocity agreements only mean that you don't pay any more in taxes than you would by winning in the state with the higher tax rate. The only question is if you pay it all to  one state or split it between the two.

Whatever state sells the ticket assesses income tax based on your income from the ticket. If the tax rate in that state is lower than in your state of residence, then your home state will tax you on the difference. For example, if you win in a state with a 5% tax and your home state has a rate of 8%, you'll pay 5% to the state that sold the ticket and your  home state will  collect the remaining 3%. If you win in a state with an 8% tax and your home state has a rate of 5%, you'll pay 8% to the state that sold the ticket. Because that exceeds what you would have owed in your home state there is no balance to be paid.

Buying a ticket in a state with a lower rate than your home state makes your tax returns a tiny bit more complicated. Buying in a state with a higher rate means paying more in income taxes. If I were to win the current MM jackpot (or any jackpot over a certain threshold) I'd be sharing with residents of NY, CT, and PA. PA has no state income tax on prizes from the PA lottery, so ideally I'd buy my ticket(s) in PA. It wouldn't change what I or my friends in CT pay, but it would save my friend in PA from paying NY income taxes on their share.

Also to add, PA does actually assess a (relatively low) income tax on non-residents who win the state's lottery - it's only 0% for residents.

Further, if say you buy in a lower-tax state and win in the early part of the year, but live in a higher-tax state, you could theoretically move to the lower-tax state (or even a no-tax state) during the year to minimize your tax burden. Most states only require taxes paid if your residency in the state was 182-184 days.

If you read about some of the fat cats in the New York City area, some of them own pieds-a-terre in the city, but work and primarily live in Westchester/Connecticut/Long Island. They try to avoid New York City income taxes by being in the city only 183 days or less. Some of them hire assistants to ensure that they carefully track the number of days they are in the city as the burden of proof is on them (even 1 minute in the city for a non-transient reason counts as a full day in NYC).

Rochester
                      United States
                      Member #103282
                      January 1, 2011
                      603 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2013, 5:53 am - IP Logged

Thank you GR.