Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you give seasonal and gift Scratch games?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 3 years ago by iwantthejackpot.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you give someone scratch games as a gift this holiday season?

No, it's not appropriate. [ 3 ]  [13.64%]
I'll use the $1 gift tag ones, but that's it. [ 3 ]  [13.64%]
Yes, but only certain people, and adults only. [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Yes! I'll give Scratchers to anyone! [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
Other [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: November 30, 2013, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

So, most states have these seasonal / gift scratch tickets. I just saw a commercial for CA Scratchers gift promo during the Iron Bowl game.

Would you give someone scratch games as a gift? (either for Christmas, or other occasion) Or do you use the $1 gift tag ones with the To: and From: on them?

I personally don't like the idea of giving a "gift" that has a 75% chance of being worth $0. Maybe if they changed them so that there was some minimum guaranteed prize value. Like $5 games were minimum $1 win, or $20 games were minimum $5 win, etc. (other prizes/payouts adjusted accordingly)

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: November 30, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I never buy scratchers, I think I have bought 1 over my lifetime lol. But I don't know, I would rather buy them a gift card to their favorite store or something. If they hit the big one on the ticket deep down everyone would be annoyed, I think the only person I would ever buy a lottery ticket as a gift for is my mother and that's about it since when ever we play the lottery we normally put in £2 each for 2 lines so we pretty much split anything we hit.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

gsWinner's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
      Tucker, GA
      United States
      Member #124289
      March 10, 2012
      5247 Posts
      Posted: November 30, 2013, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I bought a pack and it had  no winners in it. I said if there was ever a possibility of an entire pack having no winners i absolutely would not gift them. 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3055 Posts
        Posted: December 1, 2013, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I buy scratch-its to my mother and my sister and now my niece because they are all old enough to play.  I put them in their stockings along with candy.-weshar75

US Flag

Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2013, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Here's their cheesey commercial they keep playing on TV:

Instead of wasting money on a cheesey ad, they could have used that money for some bonus draws and other prize promos. Stop wasting money on extravagant ads! I'm not moved. Sorry.

United States
            Member #147165
            September 24, 2013
            507 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2013, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I agree it is not good to give something that has a 75% chance of being worthless and even perishable (after 180 days when the game ends), but probably putting it on top of an exisiting gift would be more acceptable.

I have been given a gift of 10 $5 Winter Green (California Lottery) tickets before, came out to be $30 ($15, $10, $5). I do not think non players would be too happy with that kind of outcome.

One thing the California Lottery offers this time around is the ability to send a video greeting and using the envelope's QR code to identify them, probably this could be a benefit, if Youtube did not exist.

United States
              Member #148446
              November 1, 2013
              103 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2013, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely give them out. If someone doesnt have a brain to cash it in time or know how to play the game its their fault. Likewise, if someone gets offended that their ticket was not a winner they are a poor sport. I would be thrilled to get a ticket for free. Even if it was just a $5 or $10 ticket to keep it in line with the company gift policy.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40610 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2013, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I used to get them for my Dad, it was something he enjoyed and that was worth it no matter how much he did or did not win,

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Litebets27's avatar - power
                  Maryland
                  United States
                  Member #10465
                  January 14, 2005
                  6065 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2013, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Several years ago, I brought 20 $5.00 scratch off tickets to my family's Christmas party and allowed everyone to pick from the stack until they ran out. It became an instant hit. Most were not winners, but everyone had fun with it.

The next year I brought $5.00 and $10.00 tickets. My oldest sister brought $1.00 and $2.00 tickets, and her son brought $10.00 and $20.00 tickets.

It's become an expectation now, especially for those people who don't usually buy scatch-offs or gamble.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Several years ago, I brought 20 $5.00 scratch off tickets to my family's Christmas party and allowed everyone to pick from the stack until they ran out. It became an instant hit. Most were not winners, but everyone had fun with it.

The next year I brought $5.00 and $10.00 tickets. My oldest sister brought $1.00 and $2.00 tickets, and her son brought $10.00 and $20.00 tickets.

It's become an expectation now, especially for those people who don't usually buy scatch-offs or gamble.

Cool party game and very generous of you! Thumbs Up

Noel

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #62713
                      July 6, 2008
                      3715 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2013, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Great Idea Thumbs Up

Keep moving Forward.

Margate, FL
                        United States
                        Member #149784
                        December 9, 2013
                        13 Posts
                        Posted: December 9, 2013, 6:23 am - IP Logged

Hi, I'm a new member here. Yeah I would give a scratch off to someone as a gift, but only the $1 ones because if its a loser then I'm only out $1 Wink