Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which multi-state Jackpot game Will Be Played More Often ?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 3 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which multi-state Jackpot Game will be Played More Power Ball or Mega Ball ?

Power Ball for $2 A Play [ 4 ]  [28.57%]
Mega Ball for $1 A Play [ 10 ]  [71.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 14 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Hamp101's avatar - spherewall
charleston SC
United States
Member #129527
June 21, 2012
21 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Though the Mega Ball odds are much harder... the pot size will out pace power ball in size .

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10345 Posts
    Posted: December 1, 2013, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Agreed, the pot size and the lure of $1 a play. Most people don't play the Megaplier (or the Powerplay), just listen during the drawings when they announce lower tier winners for either game.

Most players are not LP members or the type of player you meet on LP - and it is those that the lotteries are going after.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7295 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2013, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Agreed, the pot size and the lure of $1 a play. Most people don't play the Megaplier (or the Powerplay), just listen during the drawings when they announce lower tier winners for either game.

Most players are not LP members or the type of player you meet on LP - and it is those that the lotteries are going after.

The Megaplier play is slightly up since the matrix change. I'm interested in the type of player the LP members you talk to are. Do they have a special system for asking for a QP?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2013, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Stack47,

I meant all the games in general.

Take the Illinois Lucky Day Lotto for example and Northstar's EZ Match option- for another $1 you get a 'drawing' right on your ticket and if any of your five numbers match any of the EZ Match numbers you win $1 to $500.

The thing is, the odds against winning $500 on the EZ Match are 210,000 to 1 while the odds against winning the jackpot are 575,757 to one. (5/39 game)

I think most people here would just throw that exra dollar on another ticket.

I'm also thinking more people here are now playing PB than MM, except maybe the ones playing for $2M to $5M with the Megaplier.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7295 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2013, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I meant all the games in general.

Take the Illinois Lucky Day Lotto for example and Northstar's EZ Match option- for another $1 you get a 'drawing' right on your ticket and if any of your five numbers match any of the EZ Match numbers you win $1 to $500.

The thing is, the odds against winning $500 on the EZ Match are 210,000 to 1 while the odds against winning the jackpot are 575,757 to one. (5/39 game)

I think most people here would just throw that exra dollar on another ticket.

I'm also thinking more people here are now playing PB than MM, except maybe the ones playing for $2M to $5M with the Megaplier.

Games like EZ Match is where the lottery industry seems to be headed. They double the price of a smaller jackpot game by adding more prizes. Since the Illinois Lottery is run by a private company, they will keep adding. One of these days they will have side bets on every possible pick-3 way.

"I think most people here would just throw that exra dollar on another ticket."

If the MM jackpot rolls someone will start a topic and/or poll asking "how many rolls" and there will be several variations of "how will you spend the winnings?". Active LP members should know the probabilities and you can get two MM tickets for same price as one PB ticket. Get out your calculator and divide 1 by 175,223,510 and 2 by 258,890,850; the result is the percentage chances a $2 wager will give you. A PB player must buy $3,504,470 worth of tickets just to get a 1% chance of winning the jackpot. A MM player must buy $2,588,909 worth of tickets.

How much will throwing an extra dollar on MM increase your chances?

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2013, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

i voted powerball.

I Love Pink & Green 1908