Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

JACKPOT plan-stocks & investments 4 long term growth

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Igamble.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Igamble's avatar - spider
nj
United States
Member #145657
August 10, 2013
974 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Ok , i decided to make this topic so we can have a starting place where we can plan how to use the winnings and invest it,how NOT TO let it drain and spend like a fool .With the   info  and chat here we will b better prepared when going to see the financial/investment advisors and lawyers if one wants to do so.

What are the best stock to buy ? best investments ? would you even want to spend your time " working " to invest that money if you win say 2-300 mil. ?  would you try to put that money  to work if you win ONLY 20-30mil ?  And name 10 things you want to buy right away once you win  that kind of money ! 

I will fill in with my personal choices after some responses. for now all i know is i want to spend and spend,buy cars ,  maybe buy a few businesses and relax once i win ....

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7313 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2013, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Ok , i decided to make this topic so we can have a starting place where we can plan how to use the winnings and invest it,how NOT TO let it drain and spend like a fool .With the   info  and chat here we will b better prepared when going to see the financial/investment advisors and lawyers if one wants to do so.

What are the best stock to buy ? best investments ? would you even want to spend your time " working " to invest that money if you win say 2-300 mil. ?  would you try to put that money  to work if you win ONLY 20-30mil ?  And name 10 things you want to buy right away once you win  that kind of money ! 

I will fill in with my personal choices after some responses. for now all i know is i want to spend and spend,buy cars ,  maybe buy a few businesses and relax once i win ....

I knew I should have started a poll asking how many different spins of "how will you spend your winnings" would be started. Congrats for coming up with several different ways all on one thread!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
      JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
      Member #141034
      April 2, 2013
      1408 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:45 am - IP Logged

Getting good information does not really matter if the winner is not willing to use it. People are gonna do their own thing regardless.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #61435
        May 22, 2008
        908 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2013, 9:13 am - IP Logged

My plan has always been to spend a modest amount up front on personal residences, a few cars and maybe a modest yacht if I live on the water, which I am 99% certain I will.  The bulk will be invested in precious metals, real estate, and maybe some tax free muni bonds.  The income from these investments would cover my living expenses, travel etc...and throw off enough to also reinvest.  I would only touch principal for other investments or business opportunities.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2013, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Wouldnt mind snatching up some Berkshire Hathaway stocks...buying and taking actually delivery of some gold stuff like that

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2013, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Getting good information does not really matter if the winner is not willing to use it. People are gonna do their own thing regardless.

I Agree! A plan is nice, but it don't mean squat if you don't have discipline.

Just look at poor David Lee Edwards . He had a plan, said he wasn't going to spend all crazy on houses and cars n stuff. Had a financial planner, made investments.

But if you don't have discipline and have reckless spending habits, that's only gonna follow you with your JP win. Many like him have blown it all, many more will. The money just amplifies your problems and makes your fall longer and harder.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2013, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! A plan is nice, but it don't mean squat if you don't have discipline.

Just look at poor David Lee Edwards . He had a plan, said he wasn't going to spend all crazy on houses and cars n stuff. Had a financial planner, made investments.

But if you don't have discipline and have reckless spending habits, that's only gonna follow you with your JP win. Many like him have blown it all, many more will. The money just amplifies your problems and makes your fall longer and harder.

"...reckless spending habits..."

That's something you have to teach your kids about like anything else.

Whenever I'd let one of my kids use my truck I'd tell them to be wreckless, not reckless.

But first they had to work in the garden so we could produce produce.

And they had to take the garbage out too, they couldn't refuse refuse.

And they had to be present to present my present on my birthday too.

I was pretty strict.

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                Hard Luck, Ak
                United States
                Member #23472
                October 13, 2005
                275 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2013, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

"...reckless spending habits..."

That's something you have to teach your kids about like anything else.

Whenever I'd let one of my kids use my truck I'd tell them to be wreckless, not reckless.

But first they had to work in the garden so we could produce produce.

And they had to take the garbage out too, they couldn't refuse refuse.

And they had to be present to present my present on my birthday too.

I was pretty strict.

Big Grin Santa   Ridge when the kids returned your truck I hope you taught them to park in the drive way and drive on the parkway!

"We make a living by what you get, You make a LIFE by what you give!"

Sir Winston ChurchillSun Smiley

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                  East of Columbus, OH
                  United States
                  Member #120843
                  December 28, 2011
                  451 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Great response!

I don't really believe that a lottery forum is the correct place to discuss investment strategies because as many systems as there are for picking numbers there are that many systems as to how you should invest that money. 

IMO, you should have an idea or a plan as to how you want to live your life post jackpot and then discuss it with a qualified financial planner. 

I plan on buying a house with some land, a few cars, and then live modestly and travel some.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19843 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! That is why i come here for good information

Let it Snow Snowman

Igamble's avatar - spider
                      nj
                      United States
                      Member #145657
                      August 10, 2013
                      974 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I think the key is to spend less then 10% of the jackpot in first 5 years ? and then hopefuly things are settled and whatever business are developed are producing income . Or not spend half of it in the first few years ....but i am very tempted by supercars ..some are 2million a piece ...and a nice house will do .no jewelery ,maybe some art pieces for investment and apple stocks as much as possible !

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

My approach is usually to burn that bridge when I get there.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                          United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

DRIPS= dividend re investment plans is what I would go w/

Already have a few stocks that way.

But would buy much more, and buy REITS under drips B/C owning R/E can be a hassle.

Precious metals, and even muni-bonds as long as they're not from big cities like Detroit.

More to follow.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

My approach is usually to burn that bridge when I get there.

Yo Ridge,

don't burn the bridge that's named after your avatar, Walt Whitman.

It's part of I76 and my fave way of getting to PA. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

OK haymaker, roger that.  Big Grin