Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should the lottery award jackpot prizes based on video evidence?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
Member #141034
April 2, 2013
1419 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

BananaCanada just agreed to award a bunch of millions to a woman, based on video evidence, who won the jackpot but couldn't find her ticket. She said she looked everywhere, but just couldn't figure out what she did with the ticket. Is this real progress, or is this taking millions out of the greedy hands of the lotteries? Is this opening up the proverbial Pandora's box?.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

BananaCanada just agreed to award a bunch of millions to a woman, based on video evidence, who won the jackpot but couldn't find her ticket. She said she looked everywhere, but just couldn't figure out what she did with the ticket. Is this real progress, or is this taking millions out of the greedy hands of the lotteries? Is this opening up the proverbial Pandora's box?.

Not sure I understand the ?

If the Jp would have been taken by the state/province, it's progress,

If it's added to the next JP, then no

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
      East of Columbus, OH
      United States
      Member #120843
      December 28, 2011
      451 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

IF she is readily identifiable on the video as the one who purchased the ticket, I don't have a problem with it.  Cameras are everywhere.  It's only logical to think that eventually this scenario would occur.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19897 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2013, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

She was lucky and must had friends in the right places since the lottery tracked her down to give her the money.  There were over 400 other people actively trying to claim that $50M and she wasn't one of them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #61435
          May 22, 2008
          910 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Kinda sets a precidence I don't care for.  You should have the ticket to claim, otherwise the potential for funny business increases exponentially......especially in this digital age.  Maybe she was added to the video????  I don't know........

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Kinda sets a precidence I don't care for.  You should have the ticket to claim, otherwise the potential for funny business increases exponentially......especially in this digital age.  Maybe she was added to the video????  I don't know........

Yeah i agree you should have physical documentation as well as the digital....

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2013, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

The world is going electronic/digital already.

So they had a timestamp and her picture on video, maybe that could be how you buy tickets in the future:

- go to a store, take a timestamp, take a picture for facial recognition, or fingerprint or iris scan

- that's your lottery entry

We have an electronic version here in CA already, the second chance program.

You enter codes online from tickets, and that is your entry. You do not need to have the actual paper ticket to claim the prize, although that is nice, they say. The electronic/digital entry is what matters. This can be thousands or millions of dollars in prizes depending on the game, all electronic/digital.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                Rochester
                United States
                Member #103282
                January 1, 2011
                606 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2013, 6:01 am - IP Logged

She's a lucky woman.. Hurray! I strongly doubt it would happen here in New York..  Twitch  Good luck to her....Dance

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2013, 7:10 am - IP Logged

Good question.

Valid points can be made on both sides.

It's a choice between the perennial arbiters of fate: Human Compassion and Rule of Law.

Though I naturally incline towards Human Compassion, I would probably opt for the Rule of Law in this case.

I believe that certain established structures of principle must be enforced in order to maintain confidence in the integrity of the system as a whole.

So in my book, ya gotta have a ticket.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7342 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:38 am - IP Logged

She was lucky and must had friends in the right places since the lottery tracked her down to give her the money.  There were over 400 other people actively trying to claim that $50M and she wasn't one of them.

It was in Canada where the lottery rules and regulations are probably much different than in the U.S. And I really doubt in the future, that lottery will seek out the winners of every unclaimed prize. It might be good publicity to find the winner and payout a large jackpot, but don't expect the Ohio Lottery to send you a notice saying you forgot to cash that $1 Rolling Cash 5 winning ticket or that matching three number Classic Lotto ticket.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                      East of Columbus, OH
                      United States
                      Member #120843
                      December 28, 2011
                      451 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:58 am - IP Logged

It was in Canada where the lottery rules and regulations are probably much different than in the U.S. And I really doubt in the future, that lottery will seek out the winners of every unclaimed prize. It might be good publicity to find the winner and payout a large jackpot, but don't expect the Ohio Lottery to send you a notice saying you forgot to cash that $1 Rolling Cash 5 winning ticket or that matching three number Classic Lotto ticket.

I think the lottery should try to seek out winners of large jackpots.  If posting a video on their website helps identify a winner, I'm for it.  That winner could be me or you. 

I can see the potential problems with it, unless that person can produce the ticket.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7342 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I think the lottery should try to seek out winners of large jackpots.  If posting a video on their website helps identify a winner, I'm for it.  That winner could be me or you. 

I can see the potential problems with it, unless that person can produce the ticket.

I read where the majority of unclaimed tickets are scratch-offs $5 or less and probably true because the scratch-off sales is over 60% of all ticket sales. For those jackpot game unclaimed tickets, not all stores have video cameras and some that do, have inaccurate time stamps. I believe most of us are for using any method to determine ownership of a unclaimed tickets as opposed to the prize going back to the state general fund, but I think it's only fair when they find the actual player buying the ticket.

"The dog ate my homework" didn't work in school and "the dog ate my lottery ticket" shouldn't work either.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #6
                          November 4, 2001
                          8795 Posts
                          Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Video evidence is used to convict you of a crime and put you in jail.

Video of a purchase with a time stamp could be evidence. Most register receipts have time stamps and what purchased too to go along with the vid.

Type

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                            Member #106923
                            February 27, 2011
                            479 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Good question.

Valid points can be made on both sides.

It's a choice between the perennial arbiters of fate: Human Compassion and Rule of Law.

Though I naturally incline towards Human Compassion, I would probably opt for the Rule of Law in this case.

I believe that certain established structures of principle must be enforced in order to maintain confidence in the integrity of the system as a whole.

So in my book, ya gotta have a ticket.

Ridge, with this kind of grammer, you may have just blown your cover!  Yale?  Havard?  Julliard school of acting?  Next I expect you to cover the laws of probability, or non-probability in the case of the new MegaMillions matrix.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3502 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2013, 4:36 am - IP Logged

She's a lucky woman.. Hurray! I strongly doubt it would happen here in New York..  Twitch  Good luck to her....Dance

NY has a specific law allowing people to present a claim if they don't have the ticket. I don't recall the amount, but there's a fee of at least $100, and perhaps $150 or so to submit the claim. That will cover a basic investigation that will easily weed out the majority of false or weak claims, and probably most claims for less than $1000 or so. I'm pretty sure the law requires that any prize will not be paid until after the claim period expires, to make sure that nobody else comes forward with the ticket.

I have very little idea of how much video the lottery collects, but they certainly collect it for any tickets that win a jackpot game (assuming the player didn't buy the ticket too far ahead of the drawing; I presume stores don't always keep) months of old video. Many players use a credit card for other purchases made when they bought their ticket(s), and they may have other tickets that were bought at the same time, or have the same numbers. For recent purchases players may know things that only the purchaser or lottery should know, such as what other tickets were purchased or order of purchase.

In some cases there won't be strong evidence to support a claim, but in others the evidence will offer proof that's virtually certain.