Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 1:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TAX... lower tier prizes

Topic closed. 86 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mikeintexas.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
HHEH-100's avatar - batman42

United States
Member #149179
November 22, 2013
37 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2013, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Folks always told me to play the lottery cause I'm good with numbers and tracking. I was advised to play the Pick-3; Pick-4 has my passion and nice payouts for lower tiers too. My question is this: if one constantly cashes in tickets below the taxable amount allowed ($600)....does he/she avoid both state and federal tax at the end of the year?

Now...if I have three $200 winning tickets that's still tax free correct?

HHEH

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Folks always told me to play the lottery cause I'm good with numbers and tracking. I was advised to play the Pick-3; Pick-4 has my passion and nice payouts for lower tiers too. My question is this: if one constantly cashes in tickets below the taxable amount allowed ($600)....does he/she avoid both state and federal tax at the end of the year?

HHEH

The law says you have to claim ALL income.

Only the guys in charge like Charlie Rangel can get away with not paying.

They'll throw you and me in jail in a heartbeat.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7341 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

HHEH

The law says you must include Certain Gambling Winnings on form 1040 and the IRS defines that as the gross winnings listed on a W-2G. Obviously you won't get a W-2G on your three $200 winning tickets, but I'd consult a real tax expert.

You'll find that some of the free advice you get on LP is not from lottery players with the experience of winning several amounts up to $600 or in some cases probably never won a significant amount up to $100. There is also lots of confusion on the difference between a casual gambler and a professional gambler so again, consult with a real tax expert.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

HHEH

Don't listen to any idiot who tells you you don't have to pay taxes.

Pay your taxes.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7341 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Don't listen to any idiot who tells you you don't have to pay taxes.

Pay your taxes.

Tell us about your experience when someone told you "you don't have to pay taxes".

United States
            Member #149179
            November 22, 2013
            37 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Ok.... now how about this.... let's say all your tickets are $200 each ( Pick-4 box plays) and thru the course of a year you ring up $60K.... do you have to file taxes? I  know a dude that just bought a Vette (2014) off Pick-4 box play money and he just started thinking about the taxes.  I'm doing the same.

He racked up the money in 11 months..... is this taxable money?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Tell us about your experience when someone told you "you don't have to pay taxes".

Why, did you think I was referring to you because I used the term "idiot"?

Are you going to start following me around now flaming me and harassing me like your clown buddy, billionairetubby does?

Please don't.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

HHEH

There is no nice payout for lower tiers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Ok.... now how about this.... let's say all your tickets are $200 each ( Pick-4 box plays) and thru the course of a year you ring up $60K.... do you have to file taxes? I  know a dude that just bought a Vette (2014) off Pick-4 box play money and he just started thinking about the taxes.  I'm doing the same.

He racked up the money in 11 months..... is this taxable money?

Do the right thing, HHEH, pay the taxes on it.

Get a tax guy.

Don't listen to any bozo who says you don't have to pay.

United States
                    Member #149179
                    November 22, 2013
                    37 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

if one can systematically get four to five box hits a week....$800 to $1K weekly isn't bad.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7341 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Why, did you think I was referring to you because I used the term "idiot"?

Are you going to start following me around now flaming me and harassing me like your clown buddy, billionairetubby does?

Please don't.

The question here is on gambling income which you either have no experience with or are trying to score some more points with the SAHM by pretending to be clever. 

I'm interested in discussing better ways to play lottery games and getting better chances to win. And since you have no experience on those subjects either, I'm not a SAHM, there is no reason to follow you.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

if one can systematically get four to five box hits a week....$800 to $1K weekly isn't bad.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

The question here is on gambling income which you either have no experience with or are trying to score some more points with the SAHM by pretending to be clever. 

I'm interested in discussing better ways to play lottery games and getting better chances to win. And since you have no experience on those subjects either, I'm not a SAHM, there is no reason to follow you.

Hey numbnuts, 

Do whatever the hell you wanna do, just leave me out of it, ok?

You're boring.

Stop clinging to me and trying to ride my coattails everywhere.

Talk to somebody else.

There must be somebody who's interested in your droning speeches.

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                            Rochester
                            United States
                            Member #103282
                            January 1, 2011
                            606 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

In New York, it is designed so that you can collect your winnings up to 600 without paying taxes. If you have 3 "separate" tickets, yout still tax free in New York.

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10390 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2013, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

Irwin Schiff, currently serving time in a federal pen., tried telling the whole country they don't have to pay taxes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.