Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Nelson Mandela

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 3 years ago by gsWinner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
FLATRANSPLANT's avatar - yocco
South Florida
United States
Member #71280
February 22, 2009
15330 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2013, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

Former South African President Nelson Mandela has died at age 95.....may his soul rest in peace

providenciales
    United States
    Member #98261
    October 4, 2010
    247 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Former South African President Nelson Mandela has died at age 95.....may his soul rest in peace

R.i.P .... Wonder which state will throw the 95 tonight

If you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers....Bash

gsWinner's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
      Tucker, GA
      United States
      Member #124289
      March 10, 2012
      5247 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

R.i.P .... Wonder which state will throw the 95 tonight

Like for GA since we had it midday.

Prayers for family and nation.

gsWinner's avatar - nw shadow.jpg
        Tucker, GA
        United States
        Member #124289
        March 10, 2012
        5247 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela July 18 1918 December 5-2013 aged 95

18x 13x 95x 

718-718-795-918-1918 125-185-1213-1295-750-713-595-013-2013-1395
        Nelson 107-208-184-122-976-6924
        President 968-653-776-786-085-745-978-978-8171-5609

Gimper's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #129311
          June 15, 2012
          806 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

May God assign many Africans to continue the work so that their nation will be a freer Nation. What a Great Man and what a loss to the world.

ATL Gimper

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            Beautiful Florida
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            20126 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

The world has lost an icon of a man who fought for world peace.  May you have Eternal peace Mr. Mandela..

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
              OHIO
              United States
              Member #4164
              March 27, 2004
              14586 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2013, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Nelson Mandela dies at 95

Father of modern South Africa battled health issues in  recent months

(CNN) —Nelson  Mandela, the revered statesman who emerged from prison after 27 years to lead  South Africa out of decades of apartheid, has died, South African President  Jacob Zuma announced late Thursday.

•      

Mandela was 95.

"He is now resting. He is now at peace," Zuma said. "Our nation has lost its  greatest son. Our people have lost a father."

"What made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human," the  president said in his late-night address. "We saw in him what we seek in  ourselves."

Mandela will have a state funeral. Zuma ordered all flags in the nation to be  flown at half-staff from Friday through that funeral.

Mandela, a former president, battled health issues in recent months,  including a recurring lung infection that led to numerous hospitalizations.

With advancing age and bouts of illness, Mandela retreated to a quiet life at  his boyhood home in the nation's Eastern Cape Province, where he said he was  most at peace.

Despite rare public appearances, he held a special place in the consciousness  of the nation and the world.

A hero to blacks and whites

In a nation healing from the scars of apartheid, Mandela became a moral  compass.

His defiance of white minority rule and incarceration for fighting against  segregation focused the world's attention on apartheid, the legalized racial  segregation enforced by the South African government until 1994.

In his lifetime, he was a man of complexities. He went from a militant  freedom fighter, to a prisoner, to a unifying figure, to an elder statesman.

Years after his 1999 retirement from the presidency, Mandela was considered  the ideal head of state. He became a yardstick for African leaders, who  consistently fell short when measured against him.

Warm, lanky and charismatic in his silk, earth-toned dashikis, he was quick  to admit to his shortcomings, endearing him further in a culture in which  leaders rarely do.

His steely gaze disarmed opponents. So did his flashy smile.

Former South African President F.W. de Klerk, who was awarded the Nobel Peace  Prize with Mandela in 1993 for transitioning the nation from a system of racial  segregation, described their first meeting.

"I had read, of course, everything I could read about him beforehand. I was  well-briefed," he said last year.

"I was impressed, however, by how tall he was. By the ramrod straightness of  his stature, and realized that this is a very special man. He had an aura around  him. He's truly a very dignified and a very admirable person."

For many South Africans, he was simply Madiba, his traditional clan name.  Others affectionately called him Tata, the Xhosa word for father.

A nation on edge

Mandela last appeared in public during the 2010 World Cup hosted by South  Africa. His absences from the limelight and frequent hospitalizations left the  nation on edge, prompting Zuma to reassure citizens every time he fell sick.

"Mandela is woven into the fabric of the country and the world," said Ayo  Johnson, director of Viewpoint Africa, which sells content about the continent  to media outlets.

When he was around, South Africans had faith that their leaders would live up  to the nation's ideals, according to Johnson.

"He was a father figure, elder statesman and global ambassador," Johnson  said. "He was the guarantee, almost like an insurance policy, that South  Africa's young democracy and its leaders will pursue the nation's best  interests."

There are telling nuggets of Mandela's character in the many autobiographies  about him.

An unmovable stubbornness. A quick, easy smile. An even quicker frown when  accosted with a discussion he wanted no part of.

War averted

Despite chronic political violence in the years preceding the vote that put  him in office in 1994, South Africa avoided a full-fledged civil war in its  transition from apartheid to multiparty democracy. The peace was due in large  part to the leadership and vision of Mandela and de Klerk.

"We were expected by the world to self-destruct in the bloodiest civil war  along racial grounds," Mandela said during a 2004 celebration to mark a decade  of democracy in South Africa.

"Not only did we avert such racial conflagration, we created amongst  ourselves one of the most exemplary and progressive nonracial and nonsexist  democratic orders in the contemporary world."

Mandela represented a new breed of African liberation leaders, breaking from  others of his era such as Robert Mugabe by serving one term.

In neighboring Zimbabwe, Mugabe has been president since 1987. A lot of  African leaders overstayed their welcomes and remained in office for years,  sometimes decades, making Mandela an anomaly.

But he was not always popular in world capitals.

Until 2008, the United States had placed him and other members of the African  National Congress on its terror list because of their militant fight against the  apartheid regime.

Humble beginnings

Rolihlahla Mandela started his journey in the tiny village of Mvezo, in the  hills of the Eastern Cape, where he was born on July 18, 1918. His teacher later  named him Nelson as part of a custom to give all schoolchildren Christian  names.

His father died when he was 9, and the local tribal chief took him in and  educated him.

Mandela attended school in rural Qunu, where he retreated in 2011 before  returning to Johannesburg and later Pretoria to be near medical facilities.

He briefly attended University College of Fort Hare but was expelled after  taking part in a protest with Oliver Tambo, with whom he later operated the  nation's first black law firm.

In subsequent years, he completed a bachelor's degree through correspondence  courses and studied law at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, but  left without graduating in 1948.

Four years before he left the university, he helped form the youth league of  the African National Congress, hoping to transform the organization into a more  radical movement. He was dissatisfied with the ANC and its old-guard  politics.

And so began Mandela's civil disobedience and lifelong commitment to breaking  the shackles of segregation in South Africa.

Escalating trouble

In 1956, Mandela and dozens of other political activists were charged with  high treason for activities against the government. His trial lasted five years,  but he was ultimately acquitted.

Meanwhile, the fight for equality got bloodier.

Four years after his treason charges, police shot 69 unarmed black protesters  in Sharpeville township as they demonstrated outside a station. The Sharpeville  Massacre was condemned worldwide, and it spurred Mandela to take a more militant  tone in the fight against apartheid.

The South African government outlawed the ANC after the massacre, and an  angry Mandela went underground to form a new military wing of the  organization.

"There are many people who feel that it is useless and futile for us to  continue talking peace and nonviolence against a government whose reply is only  savage attacks on an unarmed and defenseless people," Mandela said during his  time on the run.

During that period, he left South Africa and secretly traveled under a fake  name. The press nicknamed him "the Black Pimpernel" because of his police  evasion tactics.

Militant resistance

The African National Congress heeded calls for stronger action against the  apartheid regime, and Mandela helped launch an armed wing to attack government  symbols, including post offices and offices.

The armed struggle was a defense mechanism against government violence, he  said.

"My people, Africans, are turning to deliberate acts of violence and of force  against the government, in order to persuade the government, in the only  language which this government shows by its own behavior that it understands,"  Mandela said during a hearing in 1962.

"If there is no dawning of sanity on the part of the government --  ultimately, the dispute between the government and my people will finish up by  being settled in violence and by force. "

The campaign of violence against the state resulted in civilian  casualties.

Long imprisonment

In 1962, Mandela secretly received military training in Morocco and Ethiopia.  When he returned home later that year, he was arrested and charged with illegal  exit of the country and incitement to strike.

Mandela represented himself at the trial and was briefly imprisoned before  being returned to court. In 1964, after the famous Rivonia trial, he was  sentenced to life in prison for sabotage and conspiracy to overthrow the  government.

At the trial, instead of testifying, he opted to give a speech that was more  than four hours long, and ended with a defiant statement.

"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black  domination," he said. "I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free  society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal  opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if  needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

His next stop was the Robben Island prison, where he spent 18 of his 27 years  in detention. He described his early days there as harsh.

"There was a lot of physical abuse, and many of my colleagues went through  that humiliation," he said.

One of those colleagues was Khehla Shubane, 57, who was imprisoned in Robben  Island during Mandela's last years there. Though they were in different sections  of the prison, he said, Mandela was a towering figure.

"He demanded better rights for us all in prison. The right to get more  letters, get newspapers, listen to the radio, better food, right to study,"  Shubane said. "It may not sound like much to the outside world, but when you are  in prison, that's all you have."

And Mandela's khaki prison pants, he said, were always crisp and ironed.

"Most of us chaps were lazy, we would hang our clothes out to dry and wear  them with creases. We were in a prison, we didn't care. But Mandela, every time  I saw him, he looked sharp."

After 18 years, he was transferred to other prisons, where he experienced  better conditions until he was freed in 1990.

Months before his release, he obtained a bachelor's in law in absentia from  the University of South Africa.

Calls for release

His freedom followed years of an international outcry led by Winnie Mandela,  a social worker whom he married in 1958, three months after divorcing his first  wife.

Mandela was banned from reading newspapers, but his wife provided a link to  the outside world.

She told him of the growing calls for his release and updated him on the  fight against apartheid.

World pressure mounted to free Mandela with the imposition of political,  economic and sporting sanctions, and the white minority government became more  isolated.

In 1988 at age 70, Mandela was hospitalized with tuberculosis, a disease  whose effects plagued him until the day he died. He recovered and was sent to a  minimum security prison farm, where he was given his own quarters and could  receive additional visitors.

Among them, in an unprecedented meeting, was South Africa's president, P.W.  Botha.

Change was in the air.

When Botha's successor, de Klerk, took over, he pledged to negotiate an end  to apartheid.

Free at last

On February 11, 1990, Mandela walked out of prison to thunderous applause,  his clenched right fist raised above his head.

Still as upright and proud, he would say, as the day he walked into prison  nearly three decades earlier.

"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I  knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison,"  he said at the time.

He reassured ANC supporters that his release was not part of a government  deal and informed whites that he intended to work toward reconciliation.

Four years after his release, in South Africa's first multiracial elections,  he became the nation's first black president.

"The day he was inducted as president, we stood on the terraces of the Union  Building," de Klerk remembered years later. "He took my hand and lifted it up.  He put his arm around me, and we showed a unity that resounded through South  Africa and the world."

Broken marriage, then love

His union to Winnie Mandela, however, did not have such a happy ending. They  officially divorced in 1996 after several years of separation.

For the two, it was a fiery love story, derailed by his ambition to end  apartheid. During his time in prison, Mandela wrote his wife long letters,  expressing his guilt at putting political activism before family. Before the  separation, Winnie Mandela was implicated in violence, including a conviction  for being an accessory to assault in the death of a teenage township  activist.

Mandela found love again two years after the divorce.

On his 80th birthday, he married Graca Machel, the widow of former Mozambique  president, Samora Machel.

Only three of Mandela's children are still alive. He has 17 grandchildren and  12 great-grandchildren

Symbolic rugby

South Africa's fight for reconciliation was epitomized at the 1995 rugby  World Cup Final in Johannesburg, when it played heavily favored New Zealand.

As the dominant sport of white Afrikaners, rugby was reviled by blacks in  South Africa. They often cheered for rivals playing their national team.

Mandela's deft use of the national team to heal South Africa was captured in  director Clint Eastwood's 2009 feature film "Invictus," starring Morgan Freeman  as Mandela and Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar, the white South African captain  of the rugby team.

Before the real-life game, Mandela walked onto the pitch, wearing a  green-and-gold South African jersey bearing Pienaar's number on the back.

"I will never forget the goosebumps that stood on my arms when he walked out  onto the pitch before the game started," said Rory Steyn, his bodyguard for most  of his presidency.

"That crowd, which was almost exclusively white ... started to chant his  name. That one act of putting on a No. 6 jersey did more than any other  statement in bringing white South Africans and Afrikaners on side with new South  Africa."

During his presidency, Mandela established the Truth and Reconciliation  Commission to investigate human rights abuses during apartheid. He also  introduced housing, education and economic development initiatives designed to  improve the living standards of the black majority.

A promise honored

In 1999, Mandela did not seek a second term as president, keeping his promise  to serve only one term. Thabo Mbeki succeeded him in June of the same year.

After leaving the presidency, he retired from active politics, but remained  in the public eye, championing causes such as human rights, world peace and the  fight against AIDS.

It was a decision born of tragedy: His only surviving son, Makgatho Mandela,  died of AIDS at age 55 in 2005. Another son, Madiba Thembekile, was killed in a  car crash in 1969.

Mandela's 90th birthday party in London's Hyde Park was dedicated to HIV  awareness and prevention, and was titled 46664, his prison number on Robben  Island.

A resounding voice

Mandela continued to be a voice for developing nations.

He criticized U.S. President George W. Bush for launching the 2003 war  against Iraq, and accused the United States of "wanting to plunge the world into  a Holocaust."

And as he was acclaimed as the force behind ending apartheid, he made it  clear he was only one of many who helped transform South Africa into a  democracy.

In 2004, a few weeks before he turned 86, he announced his retirement from  public life to spend more time with his loved ones.

"Don't call me, I'll call you," he said as he stepped away from his hectic  schedule.

'Like a boy of 15'

But there was a big treat in store for the avid sportsman.

When South Africa was awarded the 2010 football World Cup, Mandela said he  felt "like a boy of 15."

In July that year, he beamed and waved at fans during the final of the  tournament in Johannesburg's Soccer City. It was his last public appearance.

"I would like to be remembered not as anyone unique or special, but as part  of a great team in this country that has struggled for many years, for decades  and even centuries," he said. "The greatest glory of living lies not in never  falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/national/nelson-mandela-dies-at-95/-/9681152/23339744/-/12u8sfz/-/index.html#ixzz2mdpMd4Hk

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

MystiQue470's avatar - spiderlady numerology-01.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #137241
                December 30, 2012
                15883 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2013, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

May his soul rest in peace and say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day -- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing (2 Timothy 4:6-22)

895/x    8958  3895

995/x, 9995, 5955, 9599

955/x  195/x  888  8888

333  3333   380  3880 

Turkslady's avatar - animal shark.jpg
                  Providenciales
                  Turks and Caicos Islands
                  Member #140840
                  March 28, 2013
                  1050 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2013, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

BashThudThudI just play 895 in 10 house here, NO NO NO man c'mon SC I don't have that house here...aaarrgggg

Live-----------Love---------------LaughI Agree!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #49980
                    February 21, 2007
                    34202 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2013, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Rest in Peace Mandela Blk. Man 256 2560 644  664 6646 64446

R.I.P.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Sherita's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Vtracs is My Game!
                      Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #3617
                      February 6, 2004
                      7431 Posts
                      Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

You were a Inspiration to the world!

Peace be with you!Blue Angel

Congrats To All Winners and Posters!

LurkingWe are all in it to win!  My Pet numbers 103,724,152,397,189,118,205.

Ga Lottery Player!

Hot-Due-Cold. Short Sums/Last Digit Sum. Pairs. Vtracs. Vtrac Pairs. SUM OF VTRACS CHART.

Don't forget to FLIP 6/9 in all WORKOUTS!  66=99=69. Vtracs Code sheets available....

South Florida
                        United States
                        Member #71280
                        February 22, 2009
                        15330 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2013, 6:33 am - IP Logged

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                          Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #49980
                          February 21, 2007
                          34202 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2013, 6:47 am - IP Logged

Good Morning Ms. C. 46646 and 44646   Yes Nod

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

South Florida
                            United States
                            Member #71280
                            February 22, 2009
                            15330 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2013, 7:15 am - IP Logged

Thumbs Upgood morning ms marcie...nice numbers...Thumbs Up

LUCKYME$'s avatar - flower2
                              Baltimore,Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #115124
                              August 14, 2011
                              1358 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

God grant him peace!        46664 - flip 91119 - 1918 , 718, 950

-

Blue Angel