Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Looking at that 586 million...I think I want the annunity

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mikeintexas.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19743 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2013, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Lump sum vs. annuity will always be an argument for the ages.  Many people here are quick to dismiss the annuity; I've made no secret of my opinion that the annuity is not necessarily a fool's choice and is at least worth looking into.

A case can be made for either option; I'm not going to rehash them here.  Besides, it'll detract from the point I'm about to make:  When the jackpot gets this high, it doesn't really matter.  Unless you plan to splash out so large that you would immediately blow through more than the first year's payments, I fail to see how you can go wrong taking the annuity.  Check out the Jackpot Analysis page over on USA Mega; you're averaging $13-14 million a year after taxes.  (Because the Mega Millions adopted Powerball's sliding scale, it actually starts at around $6M and finishes at over $24M post-tax.)  I don't know about anybody else, but that's just fine for me.

It is entirely possible that one could buy a better annuity.  Keep in mind that you're starting behind the 8-ball, though; not only are you losing about half of the money right off the top (because you're forgoing 30 years worth of interest), you're also getting most of your taxes taken out immediately.  So if you think you can buy an annuity -- or make any other kind of investment -- that is so good that it overcomes both of those obstacles AND is structured so that you're not being taxed again when it pays out, go right ahead.  You really should take the time to do the math first, though.

Do what you want.  But don't automatically dismiss those who would take the opposite side of yours as morons.  Come to think of it, this applies to a lot more than the lottery.

I Agree! Well said mediabrat

Let it Snow Snowman

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #61435
    May 22, 2008
    906 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2013, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2013, 6:58 am - IP Logged

I agree with Mediarat

I personally see no problem with ethier option

provided one has a decent game plan,actually sticks to it and resists temptation regardless of the form it takes

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2013, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Lump sum vs. annuity will always be an argument for the ages.  Many people here are quick to dismiss the annuity; I've made no secret of my opinion that the annuity is not necessarily a fool's choice and is at least worth looking into.

A case can be made for either option; I'm not going to rehash them here.  Besides, it'll detract from the point I'm about to make:  When the jackpot gets this high, it doesn't really matter.  Unless you plan to splash out so large that you would immediately blow through more than the first year's payments, I fail to see how you can go wrong taking the annuity.  Check out the Jackpot Analysis page over on USA Mega; you're averaging $13-14 million a year after taxes.  (Because the Mega Millions adopted Powerball's sliding scale, it actually starts at around $6M and finishes at over $24M post-tax.)  I don't know about anybody else, but that's just fine for me.

It is entirely possible that one could buy a better annuity.  Keep in mind that you're starting behind the 8-ball, though; not only are you losing about half of the money right off the top (because you're forgoing 30 years worth of interest), you're also getting most of your taxes taken out immediately.  So if you think you can buy an annuity -- or make any other kind of investment -- that is so good that it overcomes both of those obstacles AND is structured so that you're not being taxed again when it pays out, go right ahead.  You really should take the time to do the math first, though.

Do what you want.  But don't automatically dismiss those who would take the opposite side of yours as morons.  Come to think of it, this applies to a lot more than the lottery.

What you said is exactly what I based my decision on to take the annunity. 1st check would be 5.9 mil after tax and last would be 24 mil after tax. When your pulling in that kind of scratch a year, you can't blow through it...unless your doing dumb stuff like "making it rain" or putting "30 in gold rims on all your Rolls Royces and Bentleys. LOL

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5588 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2013, 9:04 am - IP Logged

I like what Coin Toss said. You can buy an annuity with the cash.

My main reason for the cash is that I might not live 30 years and I don't want a headache for my wife or kids with estate taxes. On top of that, 30 years is a long time. With the way the country and the economy, and taxes are going, I don't believe anyone really knows what is going to happen. Can anyone really say with certainty that if things go in the dumper that your annuity would survive? If that happened, I realize maybe cash is worthless also, but I would still rather have the cash in hand than the hope of a check coming.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
            Member #6570
            August 28, 2004
            36 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2013, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

The ranch I want to buy is way, way, way more than 5.9 million.

Ill be taking the cash option. If I blow it all, then I guess Ill have to live off the 90k a year the ranch brings in

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2013, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

yeah 5 mill a year is more than enough for me, i think i could invest it wisely, and not blow the whole 5 in  a year. if successful by time im 80 ill have more than the original  cash  payment in  investments. and if im not, i only have to wait till next year to be flush with cash again.

EZMoney's avatar - weedss04lx1

United States
                Member #415
                June 22, 2002
                418 Posts
                Posted: December 17, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Mathematically and strategically speaking, choosing the cash option is always better than the annuity option.

Ontario
                  Canada
                  Member #149860
                  December 10, 2013
                  18 Posts
                  Posted: December 17, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

My only reason for prefering the cash option is that 30 years is a long time, a lot of things could change although the annuity option looks really good right now with the bump today I am still going to go with the cash option.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: December 17, 2013, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

My only reason for prefering the cash option is that 30 years is a long time, a lot of things could change although the annuity option looks really good right now with the bump today I am still going to go with the cash option.

I used to have a Trinitron TV.

I think it was a Sony.

Might still have it out in the barn.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: December 17, 2013, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

There is no way I myself would ever spend that 316 million or 215 after tax...so Ive been checking an annunity pay out site and my first check would be 5.9 million and the last (if I lived to 71) would be like 24 or 25 million and that's if I win tommorrow night. I dont have kids my brothers and sisters are older than me so Id probably take the annunity and then set up a trust and when I died some charity could just have it, but I think it would be cool getting that check every year, that big check every year LOL

If you really want an annuity, you should still take the cash and buy your own annuity or maybe more than one,

you can get different times and terms, also the big chunk of cash will allow you to invest in other things,

rather then tie up all the $ in one thing.

Diversity is the key.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1262 Posts
                        Posted: December 18, 2013, 12:22 am - IP Logged

The ranch I want to buy is way, way, way more than 5.9 million.

Ill be taking the cash option. If I blow it all, then I guess Ill have to live off the 90k a year the ranch brings in

The one I want is 7.45 million. 2+ sections, live water (several springs), small lake (27 acres), several ponds and duck marshes, several homes, 9-hole golf course and nearly all of it high fenced with an established population of several hundred white-tailed deer (and a few dozen of other types).  I don't know what sort of business I could do w/ the property, but I'd sure do something for tax purposes.   That's one of the reasons I would opt for the cash, just so I wouldn't have to finance the property.