Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing powerplay for PB, downside for lotto corporation??

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1533 Posts
Posted: December 22, 2013, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering if there was a downside for the lotto corporation when people use powerplay when playing powerball?  I noticed that California does not use powerplay, or where I searched doesn't show powerplay results.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: December 22, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

If there was a downside, they wouldn't offer it.

California is pari-mutuel (prizes paid based on funds in the pool, no guarantees). This conflicts with Powerplay which has guaranteed set prizes. That's why they don't have it. Same for Mega Million's Megaplier.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: December 22, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering if there was a downside for the lotto corporation when people use powerplay when playing powerball?  I noticed that California does not use powerplay, or where I searched doesn't show powerplay results.

The profit margin is the same on the base PowerBall bet and the PowerPlay side bet: 50%.

Meaning the lottery pays out 50% of total wagers in prizes for the base $2 PB bet, and also pays out 50% of total wagers in prizes for the $1 PP side bet.(in the long term) But that in itself isn't the deciding factor. The lottery offers a mix of various games with a mix of different profit margins, some better for them, some worse.

The real reason Cali doesn't off Powerplay (and Megaplier) is it would be too much confusion and headache. There isn't really a technical reason why they can't offer some form of Powerplay. It's just complicated by the fact that all Cali lotto games are pari-mutuel, with variable prizes based on a percentage of the total amount wagered, divided by number of winners.

They could do the same for Powerplay, but it would be too confusing for players and generate too many questions and complaints compared to the fixed prizes offered by the other states. So to avoid that (downside) they just chose not to offer it at all.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7314 Posts
        Posted: December 22, 2013, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

The odds of PowerPlay matching one of the eight secondary prizes is the same and the original bet pays part of the winnings. If you match three numbers, PowerPlay adds another $7 to the $7 prize. Only 3.14% of the tickets are going to win something so the house isn't worried.

And don't forget there is a payoff limit on the 5 + 0 prize if you're playing multiple tickets on one combination.