Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MTV True Life: I'm A New Millionaire

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 3 years ago by jjtheprince.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #77815
August 1, 2009
3460 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2014, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

MTV True Life: I'm A New Millionaire. This new episode is about two young men dealing with the pressures of becoming a new millionaire. One won $5.3 million winning second place at a poker tournament and the other one is a 18 year old from Brooklyn who won on a Win For Life scratch off.

On MTV right now.

Guess Who's Back?

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #150273
    December 18, 2013
    495 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2014, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Down $35,000 on poker...did i just hear that right...wow

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #150273
      December 18, 2013
      495 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2014, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

The guy who won the cash for life has got his head screwed on straight. Going to school, investing and looking long term instead of on instant gratification. The other guy...i think he will be broke within 5 years. He makes his living playing poker and with only that to fall back on i see bad times ahead when luck is not in his favor. I certainly hope the best for him though.

Lottery winner stories are always interestingThumbs Up

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2014, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

MTV True Life: I'm A New Millionaire. This new episode is about two young men dealing with the pressures of becoming a new millionaire. One won $5.3 million winning second place at a poker tournament and the other one is a 18 year old from Brooklyn who won on a Win For Life scratch off.

On MTV right now.

If you missed as I did it is on again THURS 9 JAN. 14 AT 12:04 p.m. Got it DVR'd

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5145 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2014, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

On MTV right now.

W5Q:

MTV True Life: I'm A Freez'N My AssOff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NDUSA!

This new episode is reality TV about 350,000,000>>>>>>people>>>>>>>>>>

eskimoe's R freezing 2 death NDUSA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>and>>>ALASKA222!!!!

On MTV right now..............NDUSA>>>>>Brooklyn. NY aunt no Miamia>>FL!

DrumNo Pity!Drum 

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6305 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2014, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks WinThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #145690
              August 11, 2013
              259 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2014, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I missed it Unhappy but it comes back on Thursday at noon!

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                Columbus, Ohio
                United States
                Member #128906
                June 5, 2012
                599 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2014, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

I've got it on dvr, will watch it tomorrow

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #128906
                  June 5, 2012
                  599 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2014, 7:58 am - IP Logged

So I just finished the eposide, they both are smart... in their own way.  By the poker guy investing in another poker player that was a good move.  By the 18yr old going back to school and buying a multi family in a few years (and not right away) is an intelligent decision.  It would be interesting if MTV would do a follow up in 10yrs to see where they are.  I think we'll see them huge in a few years, both of them.

United States
                    Member #94616
                    July 24, 2010
                    4735 Posts
                    Posted: January 5, 2014, 8:40 am - IP Logged

So I just finished the eposide, they both are smart... in their own way.  By the poker guy investing in another poker player that was a good move.  By the 18yr old going back to school and buying a multi family in a few years (and not right away) is an intelligent decision.  It would be interesting if MTV would do a follow up in 10yrs to see where they are.  I think we'll see them huge in a few years, both of them.

Yea I am surprised we don't have a WHOLE new show that is just about 'Where are they now' episodes every week.  We have enough reality TV stars now that there should be plenty of people to pick from.

boston,ma
                      United States
                      Member #150102
                      December 15, 2013
                      112 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2014, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Yea I am surprised we don't have a WHOLE new show that is just about 'Where are they now' episodes every week.  We have enough reality TV stars now that there should be plenty of people to pick from.

I agree 100%. Having a show about people who just hit the jackpot to me isn't that entertaining, because they're all the same, "I'm going to invest...., I'm going to give to charity..., I'm going to help out family..., etc, etc. I want to see a show based on where the winners are 5 to 10 years AFTER their big win. It would be interesting to see how they turned out. The shows that are out now don't seem to focus to much on what happened to the winners long after their win.

United States
                        Member #135804
                        November 29, 2012
                        332 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2014, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I don't think any of the guys will go broke based on what I watched.

Over the long run (a large sample), poker is a skill.  The poker player will always be able to have income coming in because he has developed those abilities. He makes some impulsive purchases...the desire for the island is completely frivolous. Throughout, though, you could tell he understood the money wasn't infinite and his spending had to come back in line to his earnings.

The cash for life lottery winner is smart in that he's getting a degree that will set him up in a secure field. Otherwise, beside investment income he'd count on, he would have no talent to bring in money if it disappeared tomorrow. I think he's more likely to lose it than the poker player. Despite his admirable vision of growing the windfall, you can tell he doesn't have the wisdom or intelligent people surrounding him to make the best decisions. All it takes is a smooth talking person that has gained his trust to put him in a money-losing investment.

I recall the final dinner scene when he says, "a guy" is helping him with the down payment - he's so eager to get started that he's taking a loan on what should be equity on a property - that's a total of 100% loan-to-home value plus fees. Given the risk that the mortgage lender is taking knowing he's using a loan to cover equity, I can guarantee they are not giving him a favorable rate and terms. If either loan is floating rate, there is risk that they rental payments will not cover the mortgage payments in the future. Further, I looked up Franklin Settlements and found barely any information, couldn't find the guy featured on the show, and saw some blogs that were created just to advertise this company - at least he had the intuition to not do the deal with this sleezy salesman, who spent the entire dinner meeting playing on the dreams rather than speaking honestly.

It's clear the average person is too easily swayed by what people say about their goals than the numbers. That's why it's imperative to hire respected advisors after a windfall. I'd even go as far as saying, it's better to spend money on the costlier, but bigger and more established advisory, law, and accountant firms - ones that are globally known/ranked.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          Nutley, New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #131058
                          August 1, 2012
                          875 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2014, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

here is the full episode you can watch for free but you have to watch commercials.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-im-a-new-millionaire/1720062/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=5232&channelId=1

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2014, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I DVR'd it today and just finished watching it. I dont think either of them are smart, I'd say impulsive is more like it. The poker player who is playing poker and not winning but he seems more lucky than anything. He blows the budget on his house but gets lucky because he bought a share in another player who won higher in the tournament. Soon or later his lucks gonna run out. the 18 y.o. who was so hot to buy an investment property that he wanted to sell some of payments, I was so glad he didnt do it, he woulda had to sell more than 10 payments to get that money..Thant's crazy, him going to school and getting an engineering degree is his best investment

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                              Member #118609
                              November 4, 2011
                              1075 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2014, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

here is the full episode you can watch for free but you have to watch commercials.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-im-a-new-millionaire/1720062/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=5232&channelId=1

I guess I messed up the time and missed it again.  Maybe it will play again.  The link posted here cant find the video. Oh well.