Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Foriegn players/winners.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BobP.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Feenix's avatar - wallace
Pontefract.West Yorkshire.
United Kingdom
Member #151149
January 8, 2014
1 Posts
Posted: January 8, 2014, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Hi all...... I've just joined up here and I'm from England.

Now, I've been looking at the various U.S. lotteries and at the bottom of one such page,it said something along the lines of ''All winning tickets must be claimed in the state or jurisdiction where played''..... Obviously,I can see these different lotteries and am able to play them,so my question is: If I played say the powerball lottery and was lucky enough to win (yeah,I know !),would I actually be eligible to claim the winnings ?? How could this be done 'at a distance',given that I'm from England ??

Don't want to be playing if I can't claim any possible winnings....... Anyone like to explain this situation for me,please ??

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7344 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2014, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Now, I've been looking at the various U.S. lotteries and at the bottom of one such page,it said something along the lines of ''All winning tickets must be claimed in the state or jurisdiction where played''..... Obviously,I can see these different lotteries and am able to play them,so my question is: If I played say the powerball lottery and was lucky enough to win (yeah,I know !),would I actually be eligible to claim the winnings ?? How could this be done 'at a distance',given that I'm from England ??

Don't want to be playing if I can't claim any possible winnings....... Anyone like to explain this situation for me,please ??

"Obviously,I can see these different lotteries and am able to play them"

Buy one ticket and see which state lottery sold it. If it wasn't sold by a state lottery, you were scammed because there is no place to collect any winnings.

Ontario
      Canada
      Member #149860
      December 10, 2013
      18 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2014, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

My understanding of that is because games like mega million and powerball are multi state games, to ensure each state gets its fair share you can only redeem your ticket in the state you bought it from so even though you are from England if you buy a ticket in the US you simply go back to that state to claim your winnings.

I live in Canada and its the same thing for our national games (lotto 649 and lotto max) if you buy it in one province you can only redeem it in that province. A lot of Canadians that live near border states sometimes cross over to the Us for tickets when the jackpots get really large and is all over the news

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2014, 12:32 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, Feenix!

We're under a brutal, repressive regime right now in this country and everything we do or say or write is recorded so we really can't say too much about anything if you know what I mean (wink wink, nudge nudge) (say no more! say no more!).

Good Luck!

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3159 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2014, 1:07 am - IP Logged

If you need help i'm willing to bargain. Just send me some quid for tickets and a few cans of spotted dick pudding by royal mail and i promise to send you any winnings you earn.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19902 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2014, 1:23 am - IP Logged

The service or company that buys your ticket for you should explain how you can collect your winnings if you win. 

Some say at their websites that they will hold your ticket and you will have to travel to the state where they bought it and pay them an additional fee for their help in collecting your winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2014, 7:26 am - IP Logged

Hmmm I am assuming your buying tickets online then, well if you go to the state lottery page for say here in NC you can buy a subscription meaning you buy tickets for 1 draw or I think it's a month at a time not sure, you would have to come here and claim it here in NC. Im just  guessing that the other states that have subscription are operating in the same way. Now if you are actually visiting us here what ever state you are in and buy a ticket that is a winner you claim it in the state you bought it

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                919 Posts
                Posted: January 9, 2014, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm I am assuming your buying tickets online then, well if you go to the state lottery page for say here in NC you can buy a subscription meaning you buy tickets for 1 draw or I think it's a month at a time not sure, you would have to come here and claim it here in NC. Im just  guessing that the other states that have subscription are operating in the same way. Now if you are actually visiting us here what ever state you are in and buy a ticket that is a winner you claim it in the state you bought it

Most of the states that offer online subscriptions require player to have a residential address in that state and also be physically present inside that state at time of online purchase (the IP address can distinguish the actual state you are in at the time). So a NC resident could not play Illinois lottery online, and I as an Illinois resident cannot buy tickets online whenever I am outside the state of Illinois.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2014, 12:36 am - IP Logged

You should be able to claim the winnings. Being a citizen of the US isn't required for any state or MUSL game that I know of. In your case, you would either fly to the state the lottery game was won in and claim or you would create a trust and hire a US based attorney to collect the winnings on the trusts' behalf.

I would email the state lotteries you play and ask them about claiming and also mention how you buy your tickets (to make sure it's an accepted method of playing/buying). Iowa was ready to pay to a trust based out of Belize, until the person(s) in the trust declined to identify themselves. If they would pay out to a major tax haven country, you shouldn't have any issue claiming from England as long as your methods of aquiring the ticket was legal.

Same suggestion with whatever method you use to buy your tickets. I would email the site and as for clarification on how you would go about claiming a major prize.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3114 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2014, 8:34 am - IP Logged

You should be able to claim the winnings. Being a citizen of the US isn't required for any state or MUSL game that I know of. In your case, you would either fly to the state the lottery game was won in and claim or you would create a trust and hire a US based attorney to collect the winnings on the trusts' behalf.

I would email the state lotteries you play and ask them about claiming and also mention how you buy your tickets (to make sure it's an accepted method of playing/buying). Iowa was ready to pay to a trust based out of Belize, until the person(s) in the trust declined to identify themselves. If they would pay out to a major tax haven country, you shouldn't have any issue claiming from England as long as your methods of aquiring the ticket was legal.

Same suggestion with whatever method you use to buy your tickets. I would email the site and as for clarification on how you would go about claiming a major prize.

I would not recommend emailing a state lottery and telling them how you plan to obtain tickets in their game unless you do it from a throwaway account like gmail or hotmail and never use your real name.  Also expect them to tell you the use of such methods to obtain tickets may not be legal or a legal source, they are not validators of lottery services.  For example, Texas is famous for denying a jackpot purchased through a service, everywhere is not the same.  You should always check the rules of the game you play as they can change, such as not allowing printer marked play slips.  Be a shame to win and lose the prize due to not following the rules.

Lottery Prize Taxes in the U.S. are generally paid everywhere that collects them, In New York you may pay both the (city?) state and federal income tax, mostly removed before what's left is sent to your bank account where you reside, taxes there are also your concern. (not to be taken as tax advice)

You would need to visit the state, purchase the ticket(s) and return to claim them, unless using a legitimate butler service like U.S.A. MEGA on the left column who will assist you in collecting your wins. 

BobP