Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do beggars come out of the woodwork if you win the lottery?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Cranston, RI
United States
Member #151491
January 18, 2014
5 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2014, 6:58 am - IP Logged

Unfortunately, my largest lottery win has been $340 over the past 30 years.  I met someone who won $50k once, but we weren't close enough for me to ask him these questions.  I've heard that beggars, cousins, neighbors, and the paper boy want you to share your wealth if you win.  Anyone with first-hand experience?  Anyone with a neighbor or close relative win? 

So how much does it take?  If you win $100k, do the beggars send you letters?  Or does it take a million or more before the beggars come calling?  Do they just send letters or do they have the audacity to show up on your doorstep?

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1284 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2014, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I'm sure they will.  I've seen segments on TLCML and other lottery winners shows where people say they were deluged with requests for help.  I thought I'd link you to specific stories about it and when I Googled the exact title of your post, was surprised to see it had already been indexed and at the top of the search results.  A few results later there's a story on CNN about a woman whose father won $6 million 20 yrs. ago.  From the site:

Acquaintances cornered us and shared their financial woes. Representatives of charities and churches descended like a plague of locusts. Our family became the target of scams. From that moment on my identity became permanently entwined with my father's. Not just as his daughter, but as the daughter of a lottery winner.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2014, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I'm sure they will.  I've seen segments on TLCML and other lottery winners shows where people say they were deluged with requests for help.  I thought I'd link you to specific stories about it and when I Googled the exact title of your post, was surprised to see it had already been indexed and at the top of the search results.  A few results later there's a story on CNN about a woman whose father won $6 million 20 yrs. ago.  From the site:

Acquaintances cornered us and shared their financial woes. Representatives of charities and churches descended like a plague of locusts. Our family became the target of scams. From that moment on my identity became permanently entwined with my father's. Not just as his daughter, but as the daughter of a lottery winner.

MIT,
      They sure do. Had a relative that came into 300K in a divorce and he lent a friend/coworker 2000 to be paid back in 12 months. The borrower was late after the 2nd payment, check bounced twice, took 14 months to get all the money back and he ended up  charging the guy interest.  Kind of sad..oh well, live n learn !!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2014, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Im sure they do but for some reason this bothers people. I'd have no problem telling someone who doesnt know me from Adam to go to he-- but my thing is with friends and family if I dont speak with you on a regular basis meaning weekly or even monthly, dont bother calling me when I get millions of dollars

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
          SW Florida
          United States
          Member #145673
          August 11, 2013
          152 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2014, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

I think you'd be extremely lucky if you DIDN'T get annoyed by beggars if you won a jackpot, of any size.  An ex-girlfriend of that unfortunate Shakespeare fellow said that when she lived with him after he won, there'd be people showing up at the door, not asking, but demanding money.  It's easy to think you'd just say no to them all but it would wear you down eventually. Especially if the beggars got nasty or threatening, which wouldn't surprise me.  It seems that jackpot winners are treated like they don't deserve their money and must give money to whomever asks.  More so than someone who built up a successful business.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            Beautiful Florida
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            20124 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2014, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Of course they do. But, just don't take my word for it, Win the Lottery and find out....!!!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2014, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately, my largest lottery win has been $340 over the past 30 years.  I met someone who won $50k once, but we weren't close enough for me to ask him these questions.  I've heard that beggars, cousins, neighbors, and the paper boy want you to share your wealth if you win.  Anyone with first-hand experience?  Anyone with a neighbor or close relative win? 

So how much does it take?  If you win $100k, do the beggars send you letters?  Or does it take a million or more before the beggars come calling?  Do they just send letters or do they have the audacity to show up on your doorstep?

A prize of $10,000 could trigger beggars, but $100,000 will definitely get you lots of phone calls and $1 million plus win means getting a private phone number. Winning a $100 million or more might not only mean the winner has to move if they want to avoid the press and beggars, but some of their relatives and neighbors will be hounded too.