Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 11:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a waiting period after submiting a winning ticket?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Houston
United States
Member #61602
May 29, 2008
6 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2014, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Read an article where the winner, in Canada, was waiting for the thirty days to pass so she could get her winnings. This was sort of a special case in which the lottery found her through in store cameras and charge slips, etc. She did not have the ticket but they were awarding her the prize anyway, so the thirty day wait could be for that reason. I began to wonder if there was a waiting period standard for MegaMillions, Powerball or state lotteries. Never seen this addressed in any of the forums and I don't personally know any big winners to ask so thought maybe someone might have the answer. I live in Texas and they don't seem to address this in the rules that I have seen.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Depends on the state and if there's any doubt as to the validity of the claimant.

Some states will publicize a photo to try to find a winner, others won't.

Some just don't care.

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1713 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

Great question! Like time to check if you need to pay back taxes or child support?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3090 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

I read in the powerball faq section that the states have to pay powerball in order them to pay you so it usually takes a couple of weeks before you see a check from your state lottery for the prize you won like a jackpot from powerball or mega millions.-weshar75

US Flag

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

From looking at PB/MM stuff, you would typically walk into the headquarters and if you get there early enough, by days end your ticket would be verified and the money transfer stuff being done. Then it would just be a matter of waiting for the state to collect the money from other states before being sent to your account.

A few years back a New York man threw his winning ticket away but had the receipt. He ended up having to wait a year until they could give him the money. Generally, though, you'll have the winning ticket and you can claim the winnings in a single day and only have to wait the 3-4 weeks for money stuff to clear.

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

There is a post somewhere in LP history where a P5 winner stated they had to wait 8 weeks to get all their money.  That makes sense.  The State is not going to payout money until they collect it from the outlets.  That might take as long as 8 weeks.  I would assume such a time lapse would also apply to PB and MM.

I'll let you know more after I win the MM next Tuesday.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19900 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2014, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I've matched 5of6 in the local Classic Lotto for $1500 and I was paid immediately on presenting my verified ticket, filled out claim form and I.D. 

I supposed if I had won the jackpot and traveled to a regional office, I would have had to wait for them to check me out, verify my ticket and make sure I didn't owe the state any money which probably would have taken a while longer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7343 Posts
                Posted: January 27, 2014, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I've matched 5of6 in the local Classic Lotto for $1500 and I was paid immediately on presenting my verified ticket, filled out claim form and I.D. 

I supposed if I had won the jackpot and traveled to a regional office, I would have had to wait for them to check me out, verify my ticket and make sure I didn't owe the state any money which probably would have taken a while longer.

It took four to six weeks to get paid any prize over $600 before the Ohio Lottery started using banks as cashing agents. The payoff was just under $900 when I matched 5 of 6 and my only choice was to take the ticket to a regional office and it was six weeks to the day when I got the check. It may still take that long today with prizes over $5000 because of the number of things that are investigated. 

If the winner owes child support or Ohio taxes, it might take even longer.