Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should lotteries have a cooling-off period before paying out jackpots?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 3 years ago by maringoman.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

When people win a large jackpot, they may be on a high and not make rational decisions. A cooling-off period would give people a breathing space before they make any major decisions.

If winners have relatives and friends seeking "help" with something, a cooling-off period would give the winners more time to decide if it is the right thing to do. Or will this "help" be a never-ending story.

Maybe a 30 day cooling-off period for prizes payouts and a longer period for larger prizes.

During this period lotteries could encourage winners to get legal and financial advice and point them in the right direction to get such advice.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't like government agencies telling me what to do or deciding what I do without my consent.

Government schmucks should do their jobs and mind their own business.

I won it - give it to me - none of your business what I do with it.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      41925 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't like government agencies telling me what to do or deciding what I do without my consent.

Exactly, well said!

HyperBe Happy.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

In California, we don't have a choice... for any prize $600 and over, it can take up to 6 - 8 weeks to process a claim once received by the Lottery.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3090 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

You do not get your money right away so I would say no to waiting because you will wait for the lottery to collect your money before they pay you.  That is plenty of time to look for help from professional people to help with your money if that is something you want to do with your money.-weshar75

US Flag

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
            Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

30 days isn't going to do much for someone. You could give some people a year before paying out and they would still blow it, whiles others you could give it to them the minute they find out they won and they'll never have money issues again.

So, no to a "cooling-off period".

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Here's how politicians and government hacks handle our money:   http://www.usdebtclock.org/

They now have this country buried in over 17 Trillion Dollars of debt.

They should be the last people on earth to give anyone financial advice.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2014, 1:18 am - IP Logged

In California, we don't have a choice... for any prize $600 and over, it can take up to 6 - 8 weeks to process a claim once received by the Lottery.

1. Sorry that has to be that way in California....Doesn't surprise me as much debt as that state has.

I do have to agree with Rdgrnr on this one about the lawmakers controlling aspects of the lottery system when it comes to them getting their $$ share first. They can't even run the darn Post Office or Amtrak properly.

I think I remember a recent statement over the last 4 plus years and it goes something like this:
                  If you like you doctor and your health care plan, you can keep it.Period"
                  Who said that ???<tapping head like Winnie the Pooh>  OHHHH YEAH, now I remember....The POTUS said that over and over... 

As far as a cooling off period ???  I can't agree on doing that at all. The folks in charge(lawmakers and administrators)have done been pretty good at committing acts of prestidigitation and if they thought we needed a "cooling off period", you can bet they would find other ways of doing something with the money that was immediately and legally yours.

It's not purchasing a handgun, It' financial freedom...Money doesn't kill you. Your choices on how you spend it(drugs/alcohol abuse/doing dangerous acts) or who you choose to share it with(evil people) possibly could

I could see it now, we need more money to help solve the immigration issues like more free medical for the illegals, so we will hold the $10,000- $50 million that's yours for a month or even 2 or 3 and call it a "cooling off period".

Sorry my friends I will have to respectfully state that a "cooling off period" is not supported by this taxpayer. Patriot

Sorry about going off on the political issue, I realize it's a lotto forum.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2014, 3:01 am - IP Logged

When people win a large jackpot, they may be on a high and not make rational decisions. A cooling-off period would give people a breathing space before they make any major decisions.

If winners have relatives and friends seeking "help" with something, a cooling-off period would give the winners more time to decide if it is the right thing to do. Or will this "help" be a never-ending story.

Maybe a 30 day cooling-off period for prizes payouts and a longer period for larger prizes.

During this period lotteries could encourage winners to get legal and financial advice and point them in the right direction to get such advice.

When people win a large jackpot, they may be on a high and not make rational decisions. A cooling-off period would give people a breathing space before they make any major decisions

I know, we all have to prepare for the inevitable JP win. Party

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2014, 5:44 am - IP Logged

Yeah, maybe they should do the same with people's income tax refunds too.

I'm sure that would go over real good too.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3315 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2014, 6:20 am - IP Logged

the only cooling off period i want is in  this

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                        Member #94616
                        July 24, 2010
                        4735 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2014, 6:25 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                          Rochester
                          United States
                          Member #103282
                          January 1, 2011
                          606 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2014, 6:40 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2014, 7:33 am - IP Logged

Well you have 180 to a year in some case to claim it. Isnt that enough time to get your house so to speak in order? Me Im not going to need a cooling off period, Im gonna need a heating up to the boiling point period LOL

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                              Jacksonville, Florida
                              United States
                              Member #140364
                              March 17, 2013
                              195 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2014, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

the only cooling off period i want is in  this

I Agree!