Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Isn't this the most unhappy lottery winner EVER?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Artist77.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4795 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2014, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Artist77,

Maybe she is 'smiling' in that picture!

I'm sure everyone here has known someone like that.

Or, she's related to Grumpy Cat!

lol Coin Toss. I loveeeeeee Grumpy cat!!! I bet the lottery made her pose by that lottery machine. I realize now if I ever have my pic taken there, I will say no "posing", take the pic now, wear my sunglasses, and not look as annoyed as she probably felt (or people will be sending my pic around..lol).

J'aime La France.

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4795 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2014, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Maybe she has no teeth.

If so, she can buy some fancy ones now!

J'aime La France.

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4795 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2014, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   She is cringing at the onslaught of free loaders who are ready to pounce on her.

If this $500k is an annuity, she most likely will get 25k per year BEFORE taxes and that is just barely enough to supplement her income.

Her financial situation will get a slight boost but the general public will look at her as being $500k richer and will be compelled to get a piece of that payout. In their mind, they feel entitled to her winnings.

Jill, sort of a related question. How are lump sums calculated for a game like Win for life?  I was looking up the rules for payment (not the scratch off one but the lottery ticket one with $1000 a week for life....guaranteed 10 year minimum should the winner die before 10 years). The rules said the lottery has a right to offer a lump sum as well (which surprised me) but gave no more info.

So would it be based on the age of the winner and average life expectancy or one lump sum amount for all?

J'aime La France.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
        Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
        United States
        Member #50210
        March 1, 2007
        843 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2014, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Jill, sort of a related question. How are lump sums calculated for a game like Win for life?  I was looking up the rules for payment (not the scratch off one but the lottery ticket one with $1000 a week for life....guaranteed 10 year minimum should the winner die before 10 years). The rules said the lottery has a right to offer a lump sum as well (which surprised me) but gave no more info.

So would it be based on the age of the winner and average life expectancy or one lump sum amount for all?

Hi Artist, I am not too familiar with lump sums other than MM and PB. From what I have read, it seems many Win for life lottery games base their value on 20-25 years, making it a term limit.

I have heard of complaints because of how these games are advertised (Win for life) when in fact they predetermine the amount of years that the payments are actually made. I think they do this just in case someone in their early 20's happens to turn in a winning ticket.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4795 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi Artist, I am not too familiar with lump sums other than MM and PB. From what I have read, it seems many Win for life lottery games base their value on 20-25 years, making it a term limit.

I have heard of complaints because of how these games are advertised (Win for life) when in fact they predetermine the amount of years that the payments are actually made. I think they do this just in case someone in their early 20's happens to turn in a winning ticket.

Thanks Jill. I recall someone telling me about someone asking how long was "for life" on their FB page (VA lottery I think) and they were told you could be a 100 years old and still get paid. I try to buy 2-3 tickets with the same numbers since I rarely play MM anymore. I will have to not count my chickens first if I win! lol

J'aime La France.