Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So what kinda house would you buy??

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 3 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1502 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2014, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

20,000sf is huge.  Think about your utilities for that house.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

20,000sf is huge.  Think about your utilities for that house.

Yeah Im wondering what the upkeep for these big houses you guys are wanting costs.

Light bill

housekeeper (20k sq ft you know you aint cleaning your own house)

gardner

pool boy and pool maintainence

HOA fees (can't escape those)

You need to factor all that and more in when you see these big houses. dont get the MC Hammer syndrome LOL

United States
      Member #145267
      August 1, 2013
      1502 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2014, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Only thing I don't know is the utilities cost. I plan on not living like a rich person.

United States
        Member #151125
        January 8, 2014
        8 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Only thing I don't know is the utilities cost. I plan on not living like a rich person.

Keep everything off cept the fridge and a couple lites, cost bout $35 monff.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4788 Posts
          Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Crazy

thats an awfully small place for  $4.5 million

try this place and its only $749k

Looks like something from American Horror Story (season 2).

J'aime La France.

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4788 Posts
            Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

My daughter wants a bigger house.

Found a nice one online so we may have to get her one when she turns 3.

awwwwww

J'aime La France.

United States
              Member #151125
              January 8, 2014
              8 Posts
              Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

MJ is selling his old place for $16 mil.

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4788 Posts
                Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I like very modern design so I would have to gut any house I bought probably. I like the high end condo look but on one floor and with a nice yard.  Of course, my 2nd home in Paris will be very traditional Parisian and I will even have mini-chandeliers in the bathrooms!

J'aime La France.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                  SW Florida
                  United States
                  Member #145673
                  August 11, 2013
                  152 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Turn-key sounds like the best because dealing with renovations and builders can be a nightmare.  Been there, done that, no more thank you!

I'd not want anything too grand or posh though because that's not the way I am. 

Single-storey, overlooking some sort of natural or green space (i.e., golf course, wilderness, ocean, lake, etc.).  I love wood so the house would have lots of that - solid wood floors & doors, lots of wood mouldings and wooden framed windows - all clear stained, not painted.  Tall ceilings, lots of windows, plantation shutters, pool, wood-fired pizza oven outside, 2-car garage, big workshop for hubby, a kitchen big enough to have a large table in it because I don't like formal dining rooms, big fireplaces in the living/family room and kitchen, ensuite bathrooms & walk-in closets in all 3 bedrooms.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2657 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

ROFLMAO .... you really crack me up

actually I'm not going to buy that place nore anything remotely that large nore fright filled

besides as I've often teased with a few here I couldn't imagine spending more then $550k

for my fully loaded dream house

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2657 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2014, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Turn-key sounds like the best because dealing with renovations and builders can be a nightmare.  Been there, done that, no more thank you!

I'd not want anything too grand or posh though because that's not the way I am. 

Single-storey, overlooking some sort of natural or green space (i.e., golf course, wilderness, ocean, lake, etc.).  I love wood so the house would have lots of that - solid wood floors & doors, lots of wood mouldings and wooden framed windows - all clear stained, not painted.  Tall ceilings, lots of windows, plantation shutters, pool, wood-fired pizza oven outside, 2-car garage, big workshop for hubby, a kitchen big enough to have a large table in it because I don't like formal dining rooms, big fireplaces in the living/family room and kitchen, ensuite bathrooms & walk-in closets in all 3 bedrooms.

I feel the same way sometimes ......

but then near as I can figure thars no such critter as a turn key house

as for dealing with contractors and renovation work ...... yes it can be a PIA

but assuming you've done your homework,hired the right crew and watch them like a hawk

it shouldn't be that much of a problem

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                        SW Florida
                        United States
                        Member #145673
                        August 11, 2013
                        152 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2014, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I feel the same way sometimes ......

but then near as I can figure thars no such critter as a turn key house

as for dealing with contractors and renovation work ...... yes it can be a PIA

but assuming you've done your homework,hired the right crew and watch them like a hawk

it shouldn't be that much of a problem

Yeah, that's what I figured too, that my dream house wouldn't exist in any existing, turn-key property.  So I'd have to give in and get some renovations done.  There's always some "surprise" that comes up though.  In the 3 renos we did, there always was something unexpected which meant delays and extra expense.  But then again, what am I thinking? ... as a JP winner, it wouldn't be as big a deal since the budget wouldn't be so tight and I wouldn't have to live in the nightmare as I could afford to live elsewhere while it was being done.  So, no worries afterall Big Smile

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1182 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2014, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

I tried to post a link to a home I would definatly buy if I hit for more than 60 million net, but got a warning about trying to post a link. The home goes for about 5,750,000 and it's in Georgia. I've always wanted a home with about 20,000 s.f for me and my family. I've heard that you should spend no more than 10% of your net on a home so that's what i'm going to go by. If I happen to hit for over 200 million net like that woman in florida then maybe 10-15 million wouldn't seem to bad.

If it's the one on Stroup Rd in Roswell, GA, I have it as my dream house too. And as a transplant from FL, GA utilities are ridiculously cheap by comparison. not to mention a house that size in S. FL would be about triple the amount so I consider it like a wholesale price. $$/sf is a steal.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4788 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2014, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, that's what I figured too, that my dream house wouldn't exist in any existing, turn-key property.  So I'd have to give in and get some renovations done.  There's always some "surprise" that comes up though.  In the 3 renos we did, there always was something unexpected which meant delays and extra expense.  But then again, what am I thinking? ... as a JP winner, it wouldn't be as big a deal since the budget wouldn't be so tight and I wouldn't have to live in the nightmare as I could afford to live elsewhere while it was being done.  So, no worries afterall Big Smile

It would be worth it to get your own vision into it!

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4788 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2014, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

In some parts of the country, $550,000 gets you a small townhouse/condo (1500-1600 sq. ft if you are lucky).

J'aime La France.